AuthorTopic: Bam!  (Read 10878 times)

Offline st0ven

• View Profile
    • spriteart

Re: Bam!

Reply #20 on: July 25, 2006, 12:52:01 am
aside from mere trifling color comments (though i think that the progression of hue mixture that resulted from the ping-ponging of posts has very much improved the initial version), i have some comments about the motion itself.

first of all, his stance feels way too open for me. if i were holding a rather large gun that had a significant recoil, if i was standing what seems like perfectly straight, with my feet spread wide in a manner which negated all stability bending my knees would have otherwise provided, i think the recoil would make me fall over. i just don tthink the angle of his leg is in any position to absorb such a shock, and i get the feeling that he should kindof just topple over after the first blast. if you turn his foreground leg in a manner that his knee was sticking somewhere in the same direction the gun was firing, that would be a bit more realistic, but note that a lot of his weight would be leaning on the leg in the background (if he leans too far back on the leg in the foreground he would not be stable enough to absorb that blow.

also, the recoil i think is well done, but when the gun is repositioned, it actually goes a pixel farther than the initial point of which it was held when the gun was held. this is either an unnatural reaction that the man firing the gun has everytime he fires, or sir isaac newton truly was a fool. i think you have the idea straight, that the initial blast would displace the gun backwards rather quickly, but the return motion would be much more gradual, and shouldnt exceed the initial firing point in this case.

hes tiny, but i think your animated elements look rather nice, at least for the blast and subsequent smoke. looking at the animation again, i think i get this 'im going to fall over' feel from it because it appears there is a good bunch of horizontal shifting done on the character rather than re-plotting the pixels in an appropriate manner

Offline CrumbBread

• View Profile

Reply #21 on: July 25, 2006, 03:52:34 am
Yes! Yellow and pink. It is like strawberry banana.

(I am overcome with a desire for taffy)

Offline rabidbaboy

• Jesus Beam!
    • View Profile

Reply #22 on: July 25, 2006, 04:15:29 am
yep, you can trust St0ven's crits. :)
he is my pixelling god.
why don't we have a "worship" emoticon?
"Baboy" is Filipino for pig.

Offline lief

• View Profile

Reply #23 on: July 25, 2006, 04:47:46 am
with regards to the recoil, the law of reaction would only apply as you state for the initial recoil, the bracing against the recoil would provide the return to starting position.  If this was over-braced (more push by person than by gun recoil) then the gun would overshoot its original position.  The speed it returned would also be governed by the dynamic between the gun recoil energy falloff and the lessening appropriate opposing force applied by the wielder. if the wielder did not push against the recoil the gun would not return to its starting position, if the wielder on the other hand continued to apply a constant amount opposing force after the force of the shot diminished the distance of gun return would be limited only by the length of his arms. or im completely wrong and just raving offtopicly.

on topic: i think you should delay the recoil movement slightly, the body seems to recoil fully before the flash.

Offline Kcilc

• View Profile

Reply #24 on: July 25, 2006, 06:49:52 am
Yikys! eleven more replies...!
sorry for slack'n off guys.

Thanks for all the crits and time you spent on writing em, expect an edit tomorrow.*yawn*

:EDIT:

Ok I've completely redid the recoil animation, and looks like the Pink'n yellow blast wins!

*takes a deep breath*

@MrNormS: Thanks I like it too.

@Matriax: Great, I'm glad I got it right.

@Larwick: Yep, Pink'n yellow wins, thanks for the complement.

@Dra_Chan: Pink'n yellow is the winner!! thanks again.

@Xion night: Pink'n yellow is now a celebrity!

@Niss: Pin- wait, *reads post* yes, you're right the yellow tint is much better.

@Lick: Haha, the "Pink blasting era" eh? wow I don't know what to say.

@St0ven: Busted! you can chuck me into pixel prison.
But thank you very much so for the critique, it helps alot.

@CrumbBread: Pink'n Yellow is the all-time winner(here have a taffy)!!!

@rabidbaboy: Not trust st0ven? sorry again for the slack'n.

@lief: Ok I'll work on that, Thank for you're crits helps alot.

Thanks to every one for taking there time and effort to help me get better at pixelart.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2006, 05:32:03 pm by Kcilc »