AuthorTopic: Raging Animation  (Read 4894 times)

Offline A2J2TIWARI

• a2j2emerald
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/38048.htm
    • View Profile
    • Art of Aastikya Tiwari

Raging Animation

on: February 08, 2014, 06:37:48 am

I made this animation for a contest which is currently going on BYOND. It has a limit of only 5 colours(excluding pure black and pure white) due to which I don't have much details in this piece. I have already posted it on PixelJoint(http://www.pixeljoint.com/pixelart/83869.htm) but I decided to post it here and make this animation awesome!

The creature is supposed to be a golem coming out of earth and exploding everything. Right now I think it doesn't have much story but meh. I used few DBZ videos as reference.

Help me make this awesome!
Love Carnage?: Download Epok Now!
My Work
PonjiRo Now Available on Android: Download PonjiRo

Offline Jim16

• Damian_G_R
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/18544.htm
    • View Profile

Re: Raging Animation

Reply #1 on: February 09, 2014, 11:10:07 pm
Would probably look better centred seeing as it's the only point of interest in the image.

I'm no help with animation though :( I do think you could probably change the pallet to better utilize the 5 colour limit and add detail to the entire scene, rather than limiting the character to 3 colours, background to 3 colours. 

Offline PixelPiledriver

• Yo!
    • View Profile
    • My Blog

Reply #2 on: February 10, 2014, 07:17:58 am
Can you give some more details about the contest?
Is there restrictions on frame total?
Speed?
Size?
Staging?
etc?

Also try not to post in two sections.
Just be patient.

Never mind found the details thru your Pixel Joint link.
http://www.byond.com/forum/?post=1483782

The timing between actions is very linear.
We are looking at some dirt, and then a guy pushes straight thru it without much effort.

The charge up could be a bit more damatic.

Overall speed is somewhat slow for an action packed scene.

The terrain could use some more/light detail and color mixing.

The loop point could be better.
The last few frames appear to have nothing in them.
You could use the white screen to fade back into the first frame.
Right now it is just two hard cuts in row, the first one not seeming too important.

Consider having the debris get much larger and overtake the camera to push the perspective.

Good luck with the contest.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2014, 12:25:13 pm by PixelPiledriver »
And knowing that it is, we seek what it is... ~ Aristotle, Posterior Analytics, Chapter 1

Offline Kosvid

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: February 10, 2014, 11:23:40 am
Try to use different shades of one colour (for at least 2 of 5 colours). That would look much better. For example, five different shades of blue and the white colour.

As an honest man I can`t say.. uhm... I don`t think there won`t be any works better.

Look up some in-game arts of Risk of Rain (a game). There are usually just a few colours, but I just love them.

Offline A2J2TIWARI

• a2j2emerald
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/38048.htm
    • View Profile
    • Art of Aastikya Tiwari

Reply #4 on: February 13, 2014, 04:16:30 am
PPD, you are freaking awesome man! I knew that my animation was missing something, it didn't have the touch and you gave it what it was lacking! Thank you so much!

Here's my try:

Without trembling but big rocks:

I will probably have to remake it because I dont think I animated properly.
Love Carnage?: Download Epok Now!
My Work
PonjiRo Now Available on Android: Download PonjiRo

Offline Mathias

• Goodbye.
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/9542.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: February 13, 2014, 06:19:46 am
Huge improvement. Much more interesting now.

What if you feigned slo-motion instead of having such a lengthy pause after he emerges? Think of those high-tension moments in action movies RIGHT before something catastrophic happens. A moment of dead silent calm and then BBOBORJBIHRIBVOHGURGH&$YT$(&*WYH$(&*R(*FHHJGFFJUFRJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJ
Debris could be sent upward upon his appearance and when in slo-mo, they slow their ascent to indicate the dramatic slo-mo sequence. Then back to action, things exponentially ease-in speed back up into chaos.

A long enough pause so I can see the figure. Of the two you just posted, the second one feels too fast. I want to be able to understand his features before he disappears on me.

A much more elaborate, wild, energetic aura around him, building up and up, right before his final explosion could be nice.

Also, his charging pose seems wimpy. Like a huddling child. A dude with such power ought to look more imposing and confident. Looks like he's sitting on a bench. Maybe slowly, gradually make his charging pose tighter and tighter, he retracts inward more and more until the release.

I love p-driver's example's camera that backs off before the explosion. Camera tricks could be huge for this anim.
How about panning? When it starts, the camera isn't centered on the point of emergence, but as he starts breaking through, the camera quickly whips over to catch the action.
Howz about rotation? When the final explosion happens, could be as if the camera man gets annihilated - the camera falls to the side and the entire scene tilts like when the camera holding guy in Cloverfield dropped the camera.

Put little people/buildings on the ground where he breaks out and they get sent flying when he breaks out. Each ground shake he does, trying to burst through, sends them up into the air like insects in a jar being shaken up and down then BBLLALLRLLLGGGGGGGGGGG they get sent off camera.

I think I just upped the fatality count. WHOOPS

Offline Conzeit

• Camus
    • conzeit
    • View Profile
    • CONZEIT

Reply #6 on: February 14, 2014, 03:01:28 pm
what I must say has mostly been said (=D pixelation) I agree that his charging pose seems wimpy, to make it more powerful you should arrange his body thinking of action lines (look around, I'm sure PxPdriver has excelent posts on this :p)  I would suggest that you try to orient them all in a triangle pointing upwards
Against gods(above)...or Anything by frazetta (<---link) wouldnt be a bad place to look for inspiration =)

also, his torso seems really really short, like it skips from his butt right to his chest and he has no stomach short. That might have been a result of you only putting him in crouching or foreshortened poses...or it might be intentional, but I see no reason it should be so short so I point it out
« Last Edit: February 14, 2014, 03:28:04 pm by Conceit »