AuthorTopic: Water and underwater animation  (Read 8789 times)

Offline looaks

• View Profile

Re: Water and underwater animation

Reply #10 on: February 09, 2014, 03:30:42 pm
I have done some experiment with surface filtered light despite my effort everything i tried requires too much colours for my taste or  looked fake (especially with tiling)
I switched back to the original water line, but i kept the second colour. 

also i added some transparency but I'm still not sure on this one.

Offline Ymedron

• All draw and no paint!
    • View Profile
    • My Deviantart account

Reply #11 on: February 09, 2014, 05:11:58 pm
Do you think you could try a slightly animated pillar of light at a slight angle going through the water? That might work and murky water/air usually has that kind of effect in sunlight.

I also think you could add more kelp into the water, kind of a murky silhouette. Transparency doesn't work for the dirty feel, because you really couldn't see nearly that well if the water was proper river-style.
Also my art tumblr: ymedronart.tumblr.com

Offline HezaKey

• *draws furiously*
    • hezakey
    • hezakey
    • View Profile

Reply #12 on: February 10, 2014, 12:58:02 am
What if instead of transparency to the background elements, make some larger shapes/rocks and set them in the background.
Make them have next to no detail/flat, as if your seeing them through murky waters.  Maybe fade the outline.

Sort of like the second layer of rocks you already have now.  You could even recolor the kelp animation and set it in the background as well.

Offline Probo

• View Profile

Reply #13 on: February 10, 2014, 11:14:50 am
have you tried keeping the transparency and making the water colour a gradient that gets darker, murkier and more opaque as the water gets deeper?

Offline r1k

• View Profile

Reply #14 on: February 10, 2014, 10:34:29 pm
I think probo's idea sounds neat.  I did a quick mock up in photoshop using transparent gradients.  Maybe it can atleast give you ideas

Offline looaks

• View Profile

Reply #15 on: February 11, 2014, 10:43:02 am
Thanks again to everyone!
Since I'm working to other parts of the game I didn't spend much time on the water (although I will eventually finish it)

@milokey I will give a try, I have  to see  how thing works out

@probo @R1k  I don't want to use gradients. I like the aesthetics of pixel art and I don't fell like using a tons of colours. I like the strikes of light penetrating the surface but I can't use them because I need the water to be tileable

I tried VERY quickly to add some light under the surface here is the result:

It will be fun/a pain to animate accordingly AND seamlessly :P

Offline Probo

• View Profile

Reply #16 on: February 11, 2014, 12:51:35 pm
if youre worried about it looking faithful to say the 16 bit era, transparent gradients were used in snes games. i always think of FF6 where there is a gradated transparency over the pixel art 'floor' in the intro, to make it look like it gets darker as it stretches into the distance.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LHqGiwZNTNM

if you used this and make anything below the water level lower-colour (you dont need many colours to represent an obfuscated rock), and perhaps even dither the gradient, you could keep the onscreen colour count down a bit more.

i think alien 3 on the snes had a circular dithered gradient transparency over the entire screen for dark areas.

also maybe if the waters transparent you could have the shafts of light in the background?