AuthorTopic: Shading Guns :)  (Read 2309 times)

Offline BoodyA

• View Profile

Shading Guns :)

on: February 07, 2014, 01:44:21 pm
Alright so I went ahead and made a gun its supposed to be that size for a game any who thing is i made the first one and i liked it very much , but when I went ahead and made the other one it wasn't as good as the first one so I thought I should learn more about this :) any help is much appreciated

Offline Johasu

• @johasu232
    • Johasu232
    • View Profile

Re: Shading Guns :)

Reply #1 on: February 07, 2014, 03:05:38 pm

I have very little experience playing with metal lighting/shading and guns in general.
However, on such a small piece the black outline is killing your ability to shape the piece. The curves look like straight boxy lines and the lighting is difficult to define that way.

I tried an edit.  Took the contrast between your highlight colors and the black border down and cleaned up a lot of the color variation.  Again this small you don't need 15 colors to define shades of grey.  3 or 4 is probably sufficient.
Mine came out really dark at 1x view, but maybe that's good for this size/distance.
Someone else will likely be able to help you much more than I can.
Gallery:  http://johasu.deviantart.com/gallery/
Twitter:  @johasu232

Offline BoodyA

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: February 07, 2014, 08:12:32 pm
Ty  ;D alot btw the amount of gray colors i used was not for the different shading it was the gun it self it had black parts and silver parts

Offline Pix3M

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: February 07, 2014, 08:33:38 pm
The guns seem pretty fine to me.

The more detail you cram into your sprites, the harder it is to shade and give them depth. I'd say you're at that point.

Offline BoodyA

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: February 07, 2014, 11:56:05 pm
well thats what i ended up with :P