AuthorTopic: Artist Critique Sessions - Suggestion  (Read 2665 times)

Offline Sohashu

• View Profile

Artist Critique Sessions - Suggestion

on: July 22, 2006, 12:24:38 pm
I had an idea where every month or other allotted amount of time, we could have a sort of artist critique.  Someone on the board or in general. 

My general idea is to go and look at the selected artists previous works.  When we have found these works we have a look at how they use their techniques IE:  amount of dithering, shading style, colour selection, posing, etc.  The artists sign up, and then we vote.  I have the sign up so that they don't have their work evaluated and their works studied and scrutinised against their will.   

I realise the downside to this may be people imitating peoples styles, and this is another reason why you sign up.  Though I feel that by studying these artists work, we can elp people realise how toexecute certain techniques, and what to do.  I also wish, though not necessary, that people post their process when they go about starting a piece. 

Just a Suggestion, and don't bite me :P

Back from hiatus, just remembered how excellent this community is at forming technique in a fledgeling artist of any kind.

Offline Indigo

• Administrator
  • Artist, Indie Game Dev
    • DanFessler
    • DanFessler
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/849.htm
    • DanFessler
    • DanFessler
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio

Re: Artist Critique Sessions - Suggestion

Reply #1 on: August 05, 2006, 06:23:28 am
ah yes - i read this a long time ago and thought it was a great idea, but forgot all about it.  As you already know, the Kenneth piece was sparked because of your idea.  I'll discuss this idea with the mods.

Offline Sohashu

• View Profile

Re: Artist Critique Sessions - Suggestion

Reply #2 on: August 05, 2006, 07:01:32 am
So it wasn't a totally crap Idea.  Someone likes it.  Cool. 

What I was thinking with this is that there was a compo to produce the piece most resembling that artists style.  We could also have the artist being evaluated make a work to throw in among the ranks anonymously.  Then we could see if you could pick it out. 
« Last Edit: August 05, 2006, 07:03:42 am by Sohashu »
Back from hiatus, just remembered how excellent this community is at forming technique in a fledgeling artist of any kind.