AuthorTopic: GR#175 Xedrai's Sprites - Gameart  (Read 27027 times)

Offline ||||

• The brand with four stripes
    • llll_lijj
    • http://pixeljoint.com/pixels/new_icons.asp?owner=30996&ob=search&dosearch=1
    • Lijj
    • View Profile
    • rawbetty.com

Re: Xedrai's sprites

Reply #30 on: March 12, 2014, 09:14:49 pm
Neirda, Xedrai's persective is more isometric than your example.
I think Xedrai's is top-down oblique perspective while your example is neither isometric nor oblique.

Offline Quake

• View Profile

Reply #31 on: March 12, 2014, 09:30:46 pm
@Xedrai, sorry that can be a little bit rude, but this perspective is almost unreadable, I think you should really restart entirely, based on a real isometric perspective like this : http://wayofthepixel.net/index.php?topic=16419.0

He's doing it for a game that requires that angle. His decision to do a mod for the game included this perspective.

On topic:

There's a real improvement throughout this topic! I must admit I'm not a huge fan of the perspective, and I agree with the above in regards to it unreadable.

Does Tibia shadow the walls as they become closer to the ground?

Perhaps one become accustomed to the angle the more they play, I don't know.

Offline Johasu

• @johasu232
    • Johasu232
    • View Profile

Reply #32 on: March 12, 2014, 09:40:10 pm
I would suspect it's no different than anything else as far as readability when you get immersed into a full experience.
It's always easy to look at each individual piece and tear it apart for individual flaws.  In a full setup with complete interaction you rarely take time to consider all of the minor details of each thing.
Consider all of the odd perspective situations that have been done over the years that people didn't catch or even think about until much later.
Think of Dwarf Fortress.  That stuff is just symbols but you get where you SEE it for the representation after some time playing.
I remember playing games like this and they always gave a bit of an odd feeling like you were sitting above and to the side or hanging in the air at an odd angle, but it didn't hurt readability.

Right now the biggest problem I have with reading this is that he has his own style mixed into a previous set of work to show how it fits, but it doesn't fit because the art styles are pretty different all the way down to the palette level.  The pieces clash at this point.
Gallery:  http://johasu.deviantart.com/gallery/
Twitter:  @johasu232

Offline Xedrai

• View Profile

Reply #33 on: March 13, 2014, 10:39:14 pm
@Xedrai, sorry that can be a little bit rude, but this perspective is almost unreadable, I think you should really restart entirely, based on a real isometric perspective like this : http://wayofthepixel.net/index.php?topic=16419.0

He's doing it for a game that requires that angle. His decision to do a mod for the game included this perspective.

On topic:

There's a real improvement throughout this topic! I must admit I'm not a huge fan of the perspective, and I agree with the above in regards to it unreadable.

Does Tibia shadow the walls as they become closer to the ground?

Perhaps one become accustomed to the angle the more they play, I don't know.

Tibia doesn't shadow their walls the way I do, they make one sprite and then flip and rotate it to make the vertical ones. I make diffrent ones for each direction because of the shading.
Here is an example with Tibias walls, ONLY TIBIAS SPRITES IN THIS PICTURE: http://imgur.com/aPZc6Qg

I would suspect it's no different than anything else as far as readability when you get immersed into a full experience.
It's always easy to look at each individual piece and tear it apart for individual flaws.  In a full setup with complete interaction you rarely take time to consider all of the minor details of each thing.
Consider all of the odd perspective situations that have been done over the years that people didn't catch or even think about until much later.
Think of Dwarf Fortress.  That stuff is just symbols but you get where you SEE it for the representation after some time playing.
I remember playing games like this and they always gave a bit of an odd feeling like you were sitting above and to the side or hanging in the air at an odd angle, but it didn't hurt readability.

Right now the biggest problem I have with reading this is that he has his own style mixed into a previous set of work to show how it fits, but it doesn't fit because the art styles are pretty different all the way down to the palette level.  The pieces clash at this point.

All the diffrent sprites Tibia have clash from the beginning. They implement new ones but (almost) never remake the old ones to fit the new. So some look like scaled down images and some look like real pixel art.

Would it be better if I show my sprites against a one color background instead of with Tibias existing sprites?

Here is a roof I'm working on. As you can see it doesn't tile that well to the side right now, any ideas on how that could be fixed? The diagonal beams on the edge of the roof is seperate sprites and the actual roof itself is split into two sections (upper and lower, I just have the outline of the lower one) so I can't really break the outline to the left without it looking odd against the beam.

Offline Mr. Fahrenheit

• View Profile

Reply #34 on: March 14, 2014, 02:08:05 am
 :'( :'( I had a post that apparently didnt post here.

Basically what I said was that the important details such as the building should have more contrast, more detail, a highlight made by shading (if possible) and a slightly red ish tint compared to the background. All of those things will help it stand out from the ground tiles.

Check out this picture by facet:

I can explain it some more if you need it. Its a sidescroller perspective in that diagram and it shows how to differentiate between the background and the foreground. A lot of the concepts can be applied to this projection as well though.

Offline Xedrai

• View Profile

Reply #35 on: March 14, 2014, 08:40:32 am
:'( :'( I had a post that apparently didnt post here.

Basically what I said was that the important details such as the building should have more contrast, more detail, a highlight made by shading (if possible) and a slightly red ish tint compared to the background. All of those things will help it stand out from the ground tiles.

Check out this picture by facet:

I can explain it some more if you need it. Its a sidescroller perspective in that diagram and it shows how to differentiate between the background and the foreground. A lot of the concepts can be applied to this projection as well though.

Do you mean that everything except the groundtiles needs more contrast?
I agree on that, although I think I would need more of my own groundtiles to make correct adjustments. (Hint hint does my grasstile I posted earlier look okay or is it crap? ;) )

I got the roof to tile better, I'll post the result later tonight!

Offline Xedrai

• View Profile

Reply #36 on: March 15, 2014, 06:29:59 pm
Here is the roof finished.

Only my sprites in this picture.

Offline Tapsu

• View Profile

Reply #37 on: March 17, 2014, 11:07:28 am
I would suggest more contrast on the light colored walls (at the lit side, not at the shadow side), because they seem a bit too clean at the moment. And some more contrast towards darker along the edges to make the edges look less perfectly straight.

Offline Xedrai

• View Profile

Reply #38 on: March 18, 2014, 08:11:19 am
I would suggest more contrast on the light colored walls (at the lit side, not at the shadow side), because they seem a bit too clean at the moment. And some more contrast towards darker along the edges to make the edges look less perfectly straight.

The problem I'll have then is that the walls won't tile upwards because it will be a seam. I might be able to make som kind of grass border that cover s the lower pixels so the grass gets some volume.

I'll have a look at the brighter side of these walls if it'll fit with more contrast. :)