AuthorTopic: [WIP] Frogman Sprite  (Read 3219 times)

Offline Axze

• View Profile

[WIP] Frogman Sprite

on: March 01, 2014, 04:30:07 am
Hello everyone, this is my first post. I've been doing pixel art on and off for a while and feel that I've hit a plateau. I'm looking for some C+C to make myself a better artist.
Here's a sprite I've been working on. The theme of the piece was cute, but cool.

I've wanted to try a version with a stick rather than a sword, but it's quite difficult to get detail on the stick.

I'm somewhat happy about this piece, but feels there's still a lot of room for improvement.
Thanks y'all!

Offline r1k

• View Profile

Re: [WIP] Frogman Sprite

Reply #1 on: March 01, 2014, 07:11:41 am
I think the sprite is good.  Its definetly cute, but maybe it could be more cool?  Heres an edit I did changing the design just a little

tried to give him a little more personality, so I gave him a little smirk and tried to make him look a little cocky.  And tried to make the post more dynamic.

The version with the stick is fine, but I cant tell if hes supposed to use it as a weapon.   Changing his pose a little would make it more evident if its supposed to be a weapon.

Offline Kamillo

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: March 01, 2014, 02:13:31 pm
he looks really cool, i did just a really rough edit. maybe you can add him some clothes ;)

Offline Alp

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: March 01, 2014, 06:34:46 pm
Isn't this an edit of the Frog from Guardian of Paradise, from Buster? Those eyes are unmistakable.
http://spritedatabase.net/files/pc/1656/Sprite/GOPNPC.png

Offline Axze

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: March 01, 2014, 10:16:01 pm
Thanks for the replies everyone.
@r1k: Love the personality you added to the piece. I incorporated the smirk and the hand on the hip. After changing how he held his sword I decided to leave the legs as they are. Kinda went for a proud pose with a touch of cockiness.

@Kamillo: Sweet swashbuckler dude. I'm definitely gonna try out some different clothing next.
@Alp: Oh good eye. Found the frog head in one of my oldest pixel art folders when I was looking over my earlier works. I knew it must have been inspired from something.