AuthorTopic: A girl and her monster  (Read 3874 times)

Offline Delicious

• View Profile

A girl and her monster

on: January 30, 2014, 07:31:53 pm
hey! So here is what I have, need some pointers and fresh eyes so critic away! It'll be much appreciated. :)

back leg is bothering me, dunno what to do there

« Last Edit: January 30, 2014, 09:15:47 pm by Crow »

Offline Tijjer

• View Profile

Re: A girl and her monster

Reply #1 on: January 30, 2014, 08:02:49 pm
The monster looks good to me, but the girl I notice something is off.  Maybe trying making her arms stretched out more like shes dilly-dallying? And maybe have her beside the monster on the right side the way you walk a dog?

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #2 on: January 30, 2014, 09:03:06 pm
Your problem is that the pose is too stiff. The solution is to look pictures of children and try to abstract something lifelike. Her head is also too far back and has no neck which enhances the stiffness. You're great at rendering, so it'll be easy for you to better your art if you pay more attention to fundamental aspects of figure drawing, not so much the finish.

Offline Indigo

• Administrator
  • Artist, Indie Game Dev
    • DanFessler
    • DanFessler
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/849.htm
    • DanFessler
    • DanFessler
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio

Reply #3 on: January 31, 2014, 03:13:46 am
second what helm said.  The rendering is gorgeous, the girl's pose is stiff.  In addition to that, I'm not sure I'm digging the front-arm anatomy of that monster being so very human as though to suggest it's an up-right walking animal when it's not.  Perhaps the anatomy of a large cat mixed with a rhino might serve as good inspiration?

Offline Cure

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/2621.htm
    • facebook.com/logantannerart
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: January 31, 2014, 03:33:11 am
Saw this over on TIGSource, looking pretty good. Rendering is great of course, I agree with Indigo about the anatomy of the front arm, the creature seems like a solid quadruped than the forelimbs. I didn't pay much attention to the girl until I read the above comments. I agree that more of a neck would help, and perhaps a skipping/frolicking pose (or tugging at the rope or something indicative of her character). I don't know about putting her beside the monster, but further in front might be interesting (and make more sense as the current leash is a little short).

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Reply #5 on: January 31, 2014, 03:45:10 am
I second everything that has been said, praise and crits.

On top of that I have another crit. The pose of the monster is as stiff as that of the girl. She is walking, the monster is basically standing still. Look at animal walks. Eadweard Muybridge is a good thing to google in that regard. I'd try and make it look like they both are in movement.

Looking forward to where this is going.
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline cels

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/32715.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #6 on: January 31, 2014, 09:11:46 am
This is fantastic and well above my skill level. But I'm curious if I'm seeing this wrong, or if the lighting seems to be different on the girl and the monster. In my eyes, the monster has more dramatic lighting, with high contrast, dark shadows, like it's walking in a poorly lit cave or something. The girl, on the other hand, seems to have more flat lighting, like she's outdoors in daylight.

I may very well be wrong. Looking forward to seeing this progress though.

Offline Delicious

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: January 31, 2014, 07:26:49 pm
Excellent!  ;D Thanks all for the criticism. The girl was done kinda quickly, I'm trying to find a good reference for the monster to walk at a believable speed compared to the stubby legs of the girl. I'll be looking more into Pit bulls and their anatomy/muscle structure.

Shall post something soon!
« Last Edit: January 31, 2014, 07:28:56 pm by Delicious »

Offline Chris2balls

• Pixel Artist
    • ckelsallpxls
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/14966.htm
    • chris2balls
    • chriskelsallpixelart
    • View Profile
    • Chris Kelsall's Pixel Portfolio

Reply #8 on: February 01, 2014, 02:14:16 pm
I agree with all the c+c given so far, so I've made an edit taking those into account:

Human and dog anatomy are similar, but the proportions of the muscle groups differs, of course. I've tried to create an interaction between the two characters and emphasised on the dog-like quality of the monster. Hope it helps!
☑ Available for work     ☒ Unavailable for work
Check out my portfolio if you are looking for a pixel artist!