AuthorTopic: The Daily Sketch  (Read 1361875 times)

Offline Risenshiney

• risenshiney
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/125172.htm
    • risenshiney
    • View Profile

Re: The Daily Sketch

Reply #3280 on: April 04, 2017, 02:39:42 pm

LOL

Very awkward over aa'd eevee I drew a few years back with my laptop trackpad that I finally decided to finish today. That counts, right? Still used trackpad...

Offline wolfenoctis

• View Profile

Reply #3281 on: April 04, 2017, 05:28:22 pm

Offline wolfenoctis

• View Profile

Reply #3282 on: April 05, 2017, 03:48:32 pm

Offline skittlefuck

• skittlefuck
    • View Profile

Reply #3283 on: April 05, 2017, 06:31:18 pm
@wolfe
Still killing it with the animations  :y:

@dennis
really enjoy looking at your animal anatomy. Daily composition but with animals would be dope

experimenting with new methods.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2017, 06:36:20 pm by skittlefuck »

Offline 0xDB

• Dennis inter-is.
    • dennisbusch_de
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/1287.htm
    • 0xdb
    • View Profile
    • 0xDB

Reply #3284 on: April 05, 2017, 08:53:17 pm
@dennis really enjoy looking at your animal anatomy. Daily composition but with animals would be dope
Thanks but I do not think it would give the results one might have in mind because it is not that I am 'better' at drawing animals(or anything), it is rather this:
One exercise is doing slow studies(no time limit) from refs (animals at the moment) and another exercise is fast and furios sketching(15m time limit) without refs, freely inventing and drawing from memory/imagination(the daily compositions)... two very different skills being trained, not comparable until(if ever) the "fast from memory/imagination"-skill catches up with the "playing human camera"-skill.

Translating directly from imagination is my focus for the time being and is still harder to me(but more enjoyable) while drawing from refs is relatively easy to me(and less enjoyable, often dull and mindless even) but does not train my raw creativity and does not enable to draw things that do not exist as much and I feel like creativity has always been the part I lack the most, whereas I'm already fairly proficient at eyeballing refs or reconstructing from refs or doing slow constructions, so that is is not where my focus needs to be.

Yet another exercise is to do slow and careful constructions from imagination but with the daily composition the goal is to eventually arrive at results that are as good as what one would get from a slow construction(after cleanup of course) by a natural progression of skill over a longer period of time(years) which enables one to visualize fast and clear, skipping the tedium of construction(still done to a fair extent but mostly in the mind then and not so much on the drawing surface anymore and the visual memory will end up knowing how stuff looks much better than the slow facts in verbal memory which always need to go through another layer of translation before reaching the drawing surface).

Imo, it can not be trained by constructing and then trying to just construct faster but only by regularly practicing drawing directly from the visual portion of the mind without crutches like perspective grids, measuring proportions with a ruler or breaking up everything into the infamous building blocks(cubes, spheres, etc...) that tend to make art look so stiff when it's applied mindlessly without thought of gesture or motion.

The results are full of errors, yes, the exercise is to notice them but to move on, and to slowly nudge them a little into the right direction with every new drawing. It's a natural way to improve, a non-verbal way which transcends memorizing facts through numbers, texts and diagrams. It's a perfectly natural way, a visual way which trains just that, visualization and visual memory.

Anyway, long rant is long: It will all come together at some point and then stuff can be created combining all the different methods, fast and furious visualization/sketching, slow and tedious construction, utilizing refs where imagination is too vague to render stuff... each has its merits and drawbacks...

...also you know all this already. Keep rocking it everyone!

Offline wolfenoctis

• View Profile

Reply #3285 on: April 06, 2017, 05:59:31 pm
@skittlefuck: Thanks  ;D

Offline Ambivorous

• If you can't do; inspire.
    • ambivorous
    • ambivorous
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/47949.htm
    • ambivorous
    • View Profile

Reply #3286 on: April 06, 2017, 08:51:28 pm
When you just wanna be Arne.

* may contain misinformation

Offline jams

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/120299.htm
    • asahel.deviantart.com
    • View Profile

Reply #3287 on: April 07, 2017, 03:32:42 am

jun

Reply #3288 on: April 07, 2017, 06:38:57 am
@ambivorious
nice edge control. COME BACK IN A HUNDRED YEARS

quick edge fixes for u

use the lasso tool to make hard edges. If you got questions, PM me I'll show you

Offline PixelPiledriver

• Yo!
    • View Profile
    • My Blog

Reply #3289 on: April 07, 2017, 08:01:07 am
@Risenshiney thanks!  :)
@Everyone great!  :y:

And knowing that it is, we seek what it is... ~ Aristotle, Posterior Analytics, Chapter 1