AuthorTopic: The Daily Sketch  (Read 1350648 times)

Offline Ai

• finti
    • http://pixeljoint.com/pixels/profile.asp?id=1996
    • finticemo
    • View Profile

Re: The Daily Sketch

Reply #2670 on: October 11, 2016, 12:08:48 am
Quote from: Nicolaides, The Natural Way To Draw(1969), p.37
Different students may work in different ways and yet all be right.
I hoped you wouldn't respond with that quote, because I had considered whether it applied, and concluded no it doesn't.

My comment is really just about the intended starting point (which he is clear: that is all the exercises are. Whereever you end up, I'm not criticizing you for ending up there, but I have to think about what starting point makes sense to me, and I don't think that all starting points are equal. For example, my current approach to gesture wouldn't be such a good starting point as it divides attention between hitting the basic gesture and locking the figure solidly into space so the proportions stay sensible. I think a starting point should effectively focus your attention on just one thing. Then, naturally, my question is: what one thing was this exercise aimed at?).
I don't care if I ultimately end up doing a bunch of strings kind of thing.
Just, when I look at the samples they have a smooth, continuous appearance that makes me think that a broader tip was used. In addition, I have tried using a broader tip, like a chunk of graphite, and IME it gives more of a 'surface' feel (not describing it well: I mean a surface has an amount of stiffness and does not turn instantly; it is comprised usually of a majority of slow turns plus a few fast turns; therefore a naturally slower-turning wider tip will produce turns that fit closer to the characteristics of most of the surface)

There may also be a definitional issue with 'contour'. Both the sample drawings and your drawings seemed to have pigment in places where I didn't consider there to be vertical or horizontal contours. So there is a bit of a conflict between what is described (heightmapping only contours, which is similar to a kind of light-sourced wireframe you could render in a 3d program) and what is depicted in the book (heightmapping every part of the surface). I think a bit of thought is necessary to reconcile those.

This is not a big thing. I don't mind experimenting to find what I think is the right starting place. I was just journaling my experience as I thought it could be an interesting explanation of the images following it. Mainly my experience was having the stylus skid off the paper in phase 2, as the media used for masses apparently repelled later pigment quite effectively ;)
(ie. the concern for materials is also purely out of necessity; I thought I had appropriate materials but they simply didn't work -- I physically was prevented from properly doing the second phase of the exercise. You can see what happened, in 3d:2 below.)

« Last Edit: October 11, 2016, 02:31:37 am by Ai »
If you insist on being pessimistic about your own abilities, consider also being pessimistic about the accuracy of that pessimistic judgement.

Offline 0xDB

• Dennis inter-is.
    • dennisbusch_de
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/1287.htm
    • 0xdb
    • View Profile
    • 0xDB

Reply #2671 on: October 11, 2016, 09:58:06 am
Quote from: Nicolaides, The Natural Way To Draw(1969), p.37
Different students may work in different ways and yet all be right.
I hoped you wouldn't respond with that quote, because I had considered whether it applied, and concluded no it doesn't.
And I say it does. And I had hoped, and please excuse my upcoming rant about this and don't take it personally(it's more me talking to a past version of  myself for the most part), you would not respond in that manner as there is that tendency(entirely my fault because the urge to reply is strong in me) that this will just lead to long-winding, tedious and rather pointless 'you said/I said/he said' arguments, wasting a lot of time collecting 'facts' or verbalizing thoughts and concepts and interpretations(all prone to be understood in a different way as they were meant on both ends) instead of drawing and I am not available to have these kinds of discussions neither in this thread, any other, nor in PM.

I consider it a complete waste of time and mostly just ego-driven(my ego, perhaps yours too) jibber-jabber or technobabble, throw in over-thinking and over-analyzing if you want, spawned by the ego's urge to be 'right' and perhaps even coming from the rather pointless hope for some nebulous form of praise from society/community or any authority figure as a whole, that 'good dog, have a cookie' pat on the back (all of which one should want to free themselves for the sake of being a free man). I think the primary point of importance in all the exercises is not arriving at a specific depiction of something but to go through the exercises, to make the observations and feeling the things, building the muscle memory, gaining the knowledge and the experience (and here again I think I wrote about this before in here).

The exercise results that are left in the mind(all the non-visual parts, the concepts formed beyond verbalization, depiction and (over)analysis, the parts in the mind, wherever they might be located, which are responsible for keeping understanding of the things perceived through the sensations of touch and movement) are what it is about, whereas the marks that are left on paper are merely evidence(and I mean this in a judgement-free and neutral sense of the word, not in the sense of having to worry about proving anything to anyone(including oneself)) of having gone through the exercise but they are meaningless afterwards and looking at them does not provide any of the insights and experience gained by the mind that went through the exercise.

If one worries or fantasizes about the visual results or judgement about them, whether it is negative criticism, constructive criticism or even praise, one is full of preconception about 'how things should be' and not free to explore and really gain some good experience which will bring 'improvement' of results automatically over time. Worrying/fantasizing is not the mode I prefer my mind to be in as I art/live. The mode which focuses on the practice itself, the doing, making, being, here and now, not in the past, not in the future, not in any moment of any kind of possible response but right there with the thing and the process. That's the mode I prefer.

Ok, end of rant. Keep drawing.

Offline Ai

• finti
    • finticemo
    • View Profile

Reply #2672 on: October 11, 2016, 10:56:24 am
I can't comment very directly on that, as I'm unsure what was really intended.

But I can say that personally, learning in the correct (ie. most laser focused on efficiently addressing my weaknesses) manner is far, far more important to me than simply drawing a lot (something that I am very used to doing anyway). I recognize that each practice that I could possibly do will have different results (as in, the state of my mind will be different; what I learn will be different) and I need to actually think about this stuff rather than dismissing thought about it as masturbatory, as I have in the past. I regard tracking where I am, where I'm going, and why, as strictly necessary for me, despite its tediousness.

This is one major reason I make myself write about what I'm doing. I don't really see that I can in good conscience stop (although I'm happy to put stuff in spoilers if that helps). Nothing is intended even slightly personally, other than personal to me. Much of it I'm not even sure that it's at all serious; but it helps me feel more like a person, so..

Remainder of 3E:

I'm beginning to think this chromatic shift introduced by photographing is kind of interesting.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2016, 11:19:27 am by Ai »
If you insist on being pessimistic about your own abilities, consider also being pessimistic about the accuracy of that pessimistic judgement.

Offline wolfenoctis

• View Profile

Reply #2673 on: October 11, 2016, 03:21:21 pm

Offline Mathias

• Goodbye.
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/9542.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #2674 on: October 11, 2016, 10:37:13 pm

Offline 0xDB

• Dennis inter-is.
    • dennisbusch_de
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/1287.htm
    • 0xdb
    • View Profile
    • 0xDB

Reply #2675 on: October 12, 2016, 09:22:03 am
Already wrote it on slack, writing it here again: That Mimic. Fucking. Awesome.

Offline wolfenoctis

• View Profile

Reply #2676 on: October 12, 2016, 04:23:07 pm
@Mathias: Love the mimic, great work  :y:

Offline wolfenoctis

• View Profile

Reply #2677 on: October 13, 2016, 02:38:44 pm

Offline Ai

• finti
    • finticemo
    • View Profile

Reply #2678 on: October 14, 2016, 06:34:20 am
I was feeling ambitious today:

Weight step was kind of part mass and part weight (I don't really understand the structure of a car well enough to do weight fully; I can only guess the major weight is a kind of I-shape  with the horizontals of the I equalling the axles between the wheels.). To fully complete it I guess would take about another hour (missing or inaccurate gradients along primary and secondary axes)

Offline YellowLime

• View Profile
    • Sour Pixels

Reply #2679 on: October 14, 2016, 03:04:13 pm
That Mimic is boss :)

Drawn from reference, even the cartoony man which is from a painting.