AuthorTopic: The Daily Sketch  (Read 1350795 times)

Offline HarveyDentMustDie

• I dream too much.
    • View Profile
    • Deviant Art

Re: The Daily Sketch

Reply #2660 on: October 08, 2016, 12:30:02 am
@Mathias great job on skeleton and food images. Style looks so loose but controlled in some way. :)

I wanted to draw some portraits with my new pencils, mostly for fun. I can't achieve realistic proportions so usually I try to hide it with some subtle cartoony look.  :crazy:

Offline wolfenoctis

• View Profile

Reply #2661 on: October 08, 2016, 02:19:27 pm

Offline 0xDB

• Dennis inter-is.
    • dennisbusch_de
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/1287.htm
    • 0xdb
    • View Profile
    • 0xDB

Reply #2662 on: October 08, 2016, 05:01:55 pm

Sometimes, you like the current state of the drawing so much that you simply stop after twelve minutes of scribbling instead of going the full sixty minutes as originally planned (of course, it may also be the craving-to-continue-playing-Dark-Souls-2 growing too strong to be left untreated).

Offline Mathias

• Goodbye.
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/9542.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #2663 on: October 09, 2016, 04:04:11 am
surt, i gotta do something to it in photoshop.

harvey, thonk, and those portraits are exceptional

Offline 0xDB

• Dennis inter-is.
    • dennisbusch_de
    • 0xdb
    • View Profile
    • 0xDB

Reply #2664 on: October 09, 2016, 07:06:02 pm
exploration and plan for next watercolor-pencil based painting:

Offline PixelPiledriver

• Yo!
    • View Profile
    • My Blog

Reply #2665 on: October 10, 2016, 02:48:29 am
« Last Edit: December 08, 2019, 02:48:09 am by PixelPiledriver »
And knowing that it is, we seek what it is... ~ Aristotle, Posterior Analytics, Chapter 1

Offline NowvaB

• View Profile
    • Tumblr

Reply #2666 on: October 10, 2016, 08:09:53 am

Alcohol is nasty. If you don't agree you are nasty.
I have alleged documentation of several studies that could possibly prove what I'm saying.

Offline Ai

• finti
    • http://pixeljoint.com/pixels/profile.asp?id=1996
    • finticemo
    • View Profile

Reply #2667 on: October 10, 2016, 11:45:54 am
@NowvaB:
Bark is a canine byproduct ;)

----

Tired today, getting up a tree and sawing bits off can do that.

Anyway some recent gestural stuff, not from Nicolaides, more experimental. I felt it could help to go along a more pure 'spatial thumbnailing' kind of direction

6B for this more planar/space definition stuff, plants, things that have an excuse to be excessively flowy. I have moved to 2b for Nicolaides gesture exercises, as it seems to be more helpful for making properly rigid pelvises and diaphragms. No pictures right now, but I guess I'm headed in the general direction of Bridgman -- after hitting the really basic gesture, wedging mildly-bendy triangles of volume together is doing the best job at creating solid, natural, sanely proportioned limbs. Also developing a few semi standard gestures for shoulders -- really the same basic idea of finding the places where anatomical features are tightly packed, since they are the most constrained areas -> force concentrates there, they lead the gesture, looser features tend to simply follow them.
(I can spoiler that stuff if desired. Not intended as instruction or suggestion, just journalling)

Had some media issues getting modelling exercise working how I thought it should. Test drawings minus the uninteresting ones:

Ended up using 6b pencil for mass, extra soft charcoal for modelling.
Still want a way to apply broader pigmentation (when I consider the blended appearance of the samples shown for this exercise, I think that the 'lots of threads' construction shown by 0xDB may not match the overall intent of the exercise)
Digital is honestly much superior here (layers and layer modes == no problems with your mass pigment blocking the addition of your modelling pigment)

This 6b+tissue for blur+Charcoal modelled rendering feels quite graphic (for lack of a better term). I enjoy it. Still some lack of subtlety -- I feel like I am compressing dynamic range (ie. values become nonlinear/ locally normalized) on features that are further away (we have, uhm.. black.. and slightly less black ;) as shown on the feet, whereas I think it would be more clear an exercise if I could make a linear depth map (a darkness of X meaning exactly a depth of X, no matter where it is in the picture).
If you insist on being pessimistic about your own abilities, consider also being pessimistic about the accuracy of that pessimistic judgement.

Offline 0xDB

• Dennis inter-is.
    • dennisbusch_de
    • 0xdb
    • View Profile
    • 0xDB

Reply #2668 on: October 10, 2016, 02:53:41 pm
Quote from: Nicolaides, The Natural Way To Draw(1969), p.37
Different students may work in different ways and yet all be right.
In other words, do not obsess about materials and about doing it 'right' too much or about judging another students results according to what may or may not be the original intent of the teacher(who does not live to be asked and if we could, I have a hunch his answer would be like that of a Zen master, advising to search for answers inside yourself and draw the answers from your own nature). Focus on your own progress as there is no single 'right' way as I see it and adapt, become your own teacher, using Nicolaides as a guide, not as law/rules.

That quote and reading between the lines and soaking up Nicolaides' vibes in all his writing so far in that book do lead me to believe that "THE natural way" is not meant to and can not be a one-size-fits-all-way (I think I may have written about this before in this thread), but rather natural in the meaning that the emphasis is clearly on natural and everyone has their own nature according to which they explore life/art. There is not THE(single) right way. Well there is but THE right way is different for everyone. Your way is the right way for you. My way is the right way for me. Jane Doe's way is the right way for her. That's imo part of what is meant by 'natural' way. If it was any other way, a one-for-all-way, all art by everyone in history would look the same. But it does not.

The book could as well be called "explore and find YOUR natural way to draw" and it shows the exercises to get there but does not present insights or facts to memorize on a silver platter... and for good reason I think because that would not work. Insights come as the word implies from inside and the only way to get there/them is to do the work, gain the real experience, not just gather/memorize facts or "rules". That's summarized nicely in the very first quote in the book: "The supreme misfortune is when theory outstrips performance." -Leonardo da Vinci (so... walk the walk, theory alone does not have much value and without practice/experience only leads to frustration upon observing the results that stand on 100% theory and 0% practice)

« Last Edit: October 10, 2016, 02:55:56 pm by 0xDB »

Offline wolfenoctis

• View Profile

Reply #2669 on: October 10, 2016, 03:31:10 pm