AuthorTopic: The Daily Sketch  (Read 1363358 times)

Offline PixelPiledriver

• Yo!
    • View Profile
    • My Blog

Re: The Daily Sketch

Reply #1070 on: February 03, 2015, 03:55:59 pm

I notice most stuff you post is pretty low res. Do you have any comment on the value of higher res stuff (disregarding whether it is pixelled or not)?
I'm not sure how to respond without getting really generic.
No worries.
We can grind thru some thoughts about it, that could be fun.
But you'll have to provide specifics.

I struggle to work larger though (it's weirdly intimidating sometimes), and looking at your stuff, I started to wonder if you also struggled with that, or had any insight into it...
I can definitely answer this tho:
No need to wonder.
I find any art I do to ALWAYS be a struggle.  :blind:
But that makes it exciting.

« Last Edit: February 04, 2015, 02:21:04 pm by PixelPiledriver »
And knowing that it is, we seek what it is... ~ Aristotle, Posterior Analytics, Chapter 1

Offline Cakeprediction

• huehuehue, newer...er avatar :D
    • View Profile

Reply #1071 on: February 04, 2015, 08:55:23 pm
I came to the conclusion that you can't progress without pushing your limits
You also can't progress without boatloads of practice. ;)
I am aware of that, that is the main reason why I try to post something here everyday ^^. Sadly Í currently don't have time to do real studies and full days of practice, but I'll get to that once I get more spare times, Till then:

didn't have a lot of time today so made something small because I already missed yesterday's daily sketch

Edit:
To make up for that, I reworked a character of an old unfinishde project of mine for the third time, and I must say that I'm a lot happier with this iteration ^^. Might actually try to pick it up again :)

Last two guys are just me messing with the dude and his gear
« Last Edit: February 04, 2015, 09:28:09 pm by Cakeprediction »

Offline 0xDB

• Dennis inter-is.
    • dennisbusch_de
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/1287.htm
    • 0xdb
    • View Profile
    • 0xDB

Reply #1072 on: February 04, 2015, 09:24:33 pm

Do not know the manga/anime so I referenced it from the images on http://ghostintheshell.wikia.com/wiki/Tachikoma.

Offline PixelPiledriver

• Yo!
    • View Profile
    • My Blog

Reply #1073 on: February 05, 2015, 01:42:20 am
Do it Cake.
Post everyday!

Nice Dennis!
ASCII rocks!

And knowing that it is, we seek what it is... ~ Aristotle, Posterior Analytics, Chapter 1

Offline Ai

• finti
    • http://pixeljoint.com/pixels/profile.asp?id=1996
    • finticemo
    • View Profile

Reply #1074 on: February 05, 2015, 02:53:24 am
@PPD I think that's actually C64 charmode (no great difference, except that non-alphanumeric characters won't necessarily be ASCII characters, since they can be redefined).

@Dennis I haven't attempted to break down tile usage, but I feel that the primary 3 eyes could stand to be a lot more round and protuberant, even at the expense of other details, if possible -- they are one of the most emphasized parts in the design of Tachikoma, that give them most of their personality. If you look at some clips, you can see the way they roll their eyes (this is more literal 'eye rolling' than for people) adds a lot of expressiveness. It's kind of funny how well that club character works for the pupils, I would not have guessed that would work.

@PPD

Personally I agree that art is always a struggle, I was attempting to express that it seems much more so for larger pieces. One reason, I think, is something I've noticed recently -- If I don't place the object / canvas I'm observing directly in the centre of my FOV, my observations of it's proportions can get hilariously out of wack. I actively zoom out references for this reason. So the logical extrapolation is that a larger canvas (especially if it's a non-digital canvas) requires a lot more checking than a smaller one.
(roll on transhumanism -- larger eyes FTW ;)

Hope you're pleased with the texturing in your latest post -- I think it's significantly improved over earlier posts, particularly in  .. uh, fitting together into a thematic whole, I guess is what I mean. Very illustration-y.

@any
I did some 32x32 tag icons with DB32 palette

Intended to be used in conjunction with TMSU and lighthouse. It's fun typing in lighthouse to select tags and seeing my icons come up as I create them.

I made a reusable shell function out of the commandline I used to create the montage:
Code: [Select]
# accept a geometry (like 32x32+16+0, for a 32x32 area with a 16pix horizontal margin) and a list of png files
# compile all but the final argument into a montage, with the final argument being the output path.
named_tile_montage() {
 GEOMETRY="$1"
 FONTSIZE=6
 BG=gray40
 shift 1
 # this is a hack that results in the final argument ending up in DEST.
 # cf. http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1853946/getting-the-last-argument-passed-to-a-shell-script
 for DEST; do true; done
 montage -geometry "$GEOMETRY" -pointsize "$FONTSIZE" -background "$BG" $(for V; do; if [ "$V" != "$DEST" ]; then; echo -label "${V%%.png}" "$V"; fi; done;) "$DEST"
}

Also updated my design kit

making tiny tiles is alarmingly addictive; up to 508 unique tiles now. 4x4 is an excellent choice for many sizes of repeating pattern -- see the stippling patterns, a slope of N generally takes N tiles before it meets up with itself -- less for higher N.

« Last Edit: February 05, 2015, 08:27:27 am by Ai »
If you insist on being pessimistic about your own abilities, consider also being pessimistic about the accuracy of that pessimistic judgement.

Offline Beetleking22

• View Profile

Reply #1075 on: February 05, 2015, 05:16:25 am
Super mario 3 mockup.. I need polish this more.. it has perspective issues..

Offline r1k

• View Profile

Reply #1076 on: February 05, 2015, 05:45:03 am
beetleking that looks awesome. The sketchiness of it gives it kind of a clay look.  I think the perspective would be more like this:

that, or make everything in a strict side view.

Offline AlcopopStar

• View Profile
    • https://ramheadedgirl.com/folio/

Reply #1077 on: February 05, 2015, 11:40:13 am
Hotdang PPD that last piece is gorgeous. Also very cool mario mockup @beetle but yeah the perspective is tripping me out a little.

here is some love for moonman

Offline Ellian

• View Profile
    • This is Ellian

Reply #1078 on: February 05, 2015, 12:42:05 pm
Damn I saw that on twitter, that is awesome work AlcopopStar <3
And composition is super rad

Offline Cakeprediction

• huehuehue, newer...er avatar :D
    • View Profile

Reply #1079 on: February 05, 2015, 08:59:50 pm

Also didn't have a lot of time today, so just made a slave driver dude with his slaves(they are supposed to be clay-ish people)

Looking forward to the weekend so I can try to make some bigger pieces again!