AuthorTopic: The Daily Sketch  (Read 1363313 times)

Offline Ellian

• View Profile
    • This is Ellian

Re: The Daily Sketch

Reply #1060 on: January 31, 2015, 12:24:07 am
@DatMuffinMan
Right to my nostalgia. YOU HURT ME DUDE. I feel like playing something on my gameboy again...

Offline Cakeprediction

• huehuehue, newer...er avatar :D
    • View Profile

Reply #1061 on: January 31, 2015, 10:28:37 pm
Playing with a (very simple) character design

Offline Cakeprediction

• View Profile

Reply #1062 on: February 01, 2015, 09:22:11 pm

Result from a pixel-off with ppd that we sadly couldn't finish :c

Offline DatMuffinMan

• ebogely
    • http://www.pixeljoint.com/p/42966.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #1063 on: February 01, 2015, 10:36:58 pm
For the mini ludum dare competition (they said it would be until February 1st, but the submission deadline is only in the "first week of February). With any luck, we'll finish it by the end of tomorrow and have it ready just before they close it. It's my first time entering one of these :D

Offline PixelPiledriver

• Yo!
    • View Profile
    • My Blog

Reply #1064 on: February 02, 2015, 02:02:24 am
Result from a pixel-off with ppd that we sadly couldn't finish :c
I got really tired!  :blind:
We should do that again.
Here was mine:

And some other crap from my stream:
And knowing that it is, we seek what it is... ~ Aristotle, Posterior Analytics, Chapter 1

Offline Ai

• finti
    • http://pixeljoint.com/pixels/profile.asp?id=1996
    • finticemo
    • View Profile

Reply #1065 on: February 02, 2015, 03:55:57 am
@ PPD: Spiky ?spider? is a neat design. Might feel more aggressive if you lift up and foreshorten the outer pair of legs (so he's posing like a boxer - tight stance).
I notice most stuff you post is pretty low res. Do you have any comment on the value of higher res stuff (disregarding whether it is pixelled or not)?

Personally I understand that condensation and simplification are skills naturally learnt from working small /low res. I usually get the impression there is some unique conceptual* benefit to working quite high res, but find it hard to say exactly what (except that it has some relation to the expansive feeling I get standing in a large uncluttered room)

* that is, a benefit that effects your thought processes, rather than technical benefits such as 'more area -> the impact of small inaccuracies is reduced'

Today, I came back to a periodic project of mine: constructing a tileset that will allow me to use Tiled to quickly throw designs and measurements together from standardized-unit-sized building blocks.

(188 unique 4x4 tiles; Tiled makes it easy to grab chunks of tiles, so I used the 4x4 base size to construct any tile size divisible by 4 -- 4, 8, 12, 16, 20 ..)

I was planning on, once I have the base tileset, generate 16 recolored versions using DB16 palette, loading them as separate tilesets.

Just like previous iterations, the main struggle is to organize them effectively, My current thoughts (only partially carried out in the image) a) have a base 'block' size (12x12) b) include enough space on all sides to allow 8 other 12x12 blocks to be located around it, with single-tile padding, and c) any tileable patterns should be shown repeating at least once (both for visualization and easier application on large areas).

If you insist on being pessimistic about your own abilities, consider also being pessimistic about the accuracy of that pessimistic judgement.

Offline Cakeprediction

• View Profile

Reply #1066 on: February 02, 2015, 06:33:17 pm
Since I came to the conclusion that you can't progress without pushing your limits, I tried to make/sketch something that's way outta my league:

Offline Joe

• View Profile

Reply #1067 on: February 02, 2015, 09:28:18 pm
I came to the conclusion that you can't progress without pushing your limits
You also can't progress without boatloads of practice. ;) I always wish I could just spend one day practicing something the whole day, and then I'd know it. Too bad the brain doesn't work like that...

Ai, that looks super cool.

I don't intend to post in this thread every day, but I do draw everyday. Here's the last 4 days, some more studies from Hampton and some gestures based on his ideas.

Offline DatMuffinMan

• ebogely
    • http://www.pixeljoint.com/p/42966.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #1068 on: February 03, 2015, 01:03:23 am
some puppy animations for the LD jam -

jump:
idle:
bark:

Offline wzl

• View Profile

Reply #1069 on: February 03, 2015, 11:52:40 am
A happy submarine, created within a one-hour-compo using arne's 16color palette

Lack of shades made me need to dither a lot. Not sure if it got too noisy because of that.