AuthorTopic: The Daily Sketch  (Read 1350784 times)

Offline Ambivorous

• If you can't do; inspire.
    • ambivorous
    • ambivorous
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/47949.htm
    • ambivorous
    • View Profile

Re: The Daily Sketch

Reply #630 on: July 14, 2014, 04:21:13 pm
Thanks Psylent. Cool concept and fair enough with the spoilers.
These things really help. I actually decided to do a comparison thing today just to illustrate (to myself) the progress I've made.

Lark I meant forgive me for my lack of shapes and incorrect value use. The picture only looks prettier because of more colours and cheating on shapes, but the actual values are still wrong. Did a quick edit to show what I mean:

Comparison (5 second intervals):

Remake for today of a previous exercise:

Comparison (5 second intervals):

I believe that I finally understand what these studies are going to be teaching me.
* may contain misinformation

Offline Ryumaru

• to be animated soonly
    • ChrisPariano
    • View Profile

Reply #631 on: July 14, 2014, 09:49:53 pm

Remake for today of a previous exercise:

I believe that I finally understand what these studies are going to be teaching me.

There you go.  :y:
I would also recommend a bit more scrutiny in your reference choice. Landscapes are great, but try and go more for ones that focus on shape and form over texture. Scenes like the close up sand and the previous landscape have too much of it to capture with flat colors in a short amount of time. You can still learn from these of course, but your studies may feel wanting when you have to omit large portions of them ( which was the right thing to do) and those sorts of references would be better when you start going after texture and indication.

Just so I'm not all talk and no show, here's the latest of the Frazetta study. Nearing the end of how far I'm going to take this one. a lot of little daily bits in one  :crazy:

Offline Cyangmou

• cyangmou
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/32234.htm
    • cyangmou
    • View Profile
    • Pixwerk Homepage

Reply #632 on: July 15, 2014, 01:22:14 am
wanted to see how my portrait practice actually affects my imaginative drawings.
So those one's are invented without reference.

« Last Edit: July 15, 2014, 01:26:05 am by Cyangmou »
"Because the beauty of the human body is that it hasn't a single muscle which doesn't serve its purpose; that there's not a line wasted; that every detail of it fits one idea, the idea of a man and the life of a man."

Dev-Art
Twitter

Offline LarkoftheRiver

• Hobbist Animator + Apprentice Falconer
    • ordinaryredtail
    • ordinaryredtail
    • ordinaryredtail
    • sarah.fonvile.9
    • View Profile

Reply #633 on: July 15, 2014, 03:09:04 am
A pixel to make up for the fact that I haven't posted art in two days here.

Form is still really bugging me and I also need to pixel something other than canines.

Offline Ambivorous

• ambivorous
    • ambivorous
    • ambivorous
    • View Profile

Reply #634 on: July 15, 2014, 06:57:38 pm
Thanks as always for the advice, Ryu.
As far as picking my references better, what kind of things am I looking for? Just lots of mountains/hills/large rocks and no trees? Should I be avoiding things with lots of water in them?
That picture is really coming along nicely there. Impressive stuff.

Wow Cyangmou, those are amazing! I especially like the middle guy - he just has so much character to him.

Today's:

Offline Cakeprediction

• huehuehue, newer...er avatar :D
    • View Profile

Reply #635 on: July 15, 2014, 07:00:50 pm
So , I did the same as last time. This time with a cleric though( don't know her as well because I only played sacred stones, should play more fire emblem games :/):Reference

My practice thingy:

This one worked out a little bit better . Still need some more practice though, but it's just my second attempt so I'm happy :)

Offline Ambivorous

• ambivorous
    • ambivorous
    • ambivorous
    • View Profile

Reply #636 on: July 16, 2014, 07:17:26 pm
Struggled with today's actually. Though it is still much easier to do these now than when I first started.

Offline Ellian

• View Profile
    • This is Ellian

Reply #637 on: July 16, 2014, 09:10:21 pm

I knooooooow I shouldn't use different resolution for text and images...
« Last Edit: July 16, 2014, 09:27:40 pm by Ellian »

Offline Ryumaru

• to be animated soonly
    • ChrisPariano
    • View Profile

Reply #638 on: July 16, 2014, 09:14:59 pm
Thanks as always for the advice, Ryu.
As far as picking my references better, what kind of things am I looking for? Just lots of mountains/hills/large rocks and no trees? Should I be avoiding things with lots of water in them?

Well, it's not any one thing. For quick studies like this, you want to avoid anything that cannot be easily categorized as one or a few masses, and/ or does not have a form interesting enough to warrant it's study, OR if to get an adequate likeness of it, it's rendering would take too long. Things like the shine on the granules of sand, and the haphazard shrubbery are examples of this. Depending on the lighting, pretty much anything can follow, or break these "rules", so it's just a case by case basis.

If you were to start using texture brushes, you would open up the things you can indicate in a short amount of time, but there's still a lot to learn without them.

More Frazetta buns

Offline Cyangmou

• cyangmou
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/32234.htm
    • cyangmou
    • View Profile
    • Pixwerk Homepage

Reply #639 on: July 16, 2014, 11:38:58 pm
tried to push some features, trying to find out when things break.

"Because the beauty of the human body is that it hasn't a single muscle which doesn't serve its purpose; that there's not a line wasted; that every detail of it fits one idea, the idea of a man and the life of a man."

Dev-Art
Twitter