AuthorTopic: The Daily Sketch  (Read 1351131 times)

Offline Ellian

• View Profile
    • This is Ellian

Re: The Daily Sketch

Reply #170 on: February 21, 2014, 02:22:37 pm
Ellian: [...] try experimenting with colored outlines, see where that gets you. also i dont think you need to AA everything, its not very noticable and just makes the borders look fuzzy. try to compromise with the colored outlines and little-no aa and i think your work will look considerably crisper

This is a terribly good piece of advice.
I'm not sure I can do that with my current project (already spend a lot of time making sprites, and colored outlines would mean redo everything)...
But I have this bad tendency to keep doing AA even when I know it's too much. You have no idea how much AA I -removed- from these sprites... I totally lose all sense of the drawing itself and just focus on making AA, and at some point I, like, zoom back to see the whole thing and realize it's ugly. It's very annoying.
And colored outline... Well I have no idea why I didn't think about it (I love doing colored outlines, on top of that >_>), but it seems like the perfect idea.
At first I thought it would take more time to do a sprite with colored outlines, but considering how much time I lose with all this AA nonsense... I might actually save some. I'll give it a try whenever I have some time. Thank you very much.

@everyone else :
Thank you <3

@purrsimmon:
Love you character in the middle of that last batch of sketches. Atnas eating chicken nuggets, it seems? Love the style of this one. :)

I think I truly hate vent art.
It's usually not even good, it's depressing to look at, and make me feel bad for making it... but yeah, well, sometimes, I don't know, you just need to get it out or something.
(nothing to worry about, move along, citizens~)

Offline Probo

• View Profile

Reply #171 on: February 21, 2014, 05:19:12 pm

I plan on doing an open screen share this weekend.
Will post the link when it happens and try to keep it up all day.
Not sure how many people it can support but I guess we will find out -----> I've seen it do 5+ without any problems.

consider me there, will you post the link in this thread?

nice drawings too. did you see the western redesign of hebereke on your travels? they also renamed him 'Bop-Louie'. he looks like Alien hominid :P

https://www.spriters-resource.com/nes/ufouria/sheet/52551/

i like both designs but i have no idea why they changed it.

also the sketches in this thread from everyone are really great!
« Last Edit: February 21, 2014, 05:21:08 pm by Probo »

Offline Cyangmou

• cyangmou
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/32234.htm
    • cyangmou
    • View Profile
    • Pixwerk Homepage

Reply #172 on: February 21, 2014, 06:49:16 pm
Great stuff everyone
AI, your fingers are in most cases not accurate in terms of length, form and bending angle.

Hmm... starting to understand it. Now the thing which is left is making routine out of it.

« Last Edit: February 22, 2014, 08:38:09 pm by Cyangmou »
"Because the beauty of the human body is that it hasn't a single muscle which doesn't serve its purpose; that there's not a line wasted; that every detail of it fits one idea, the idea of a man and the life of a man."

Dev-Art
Twitter

Offline PixelPiledriver

• Yo!
    • View Profile
    • My Blog

Reply #173 on: February 21, 2014, 07:27:32 pm
consider me there, will you post the link in this thread?
Yup, I will post the link in this thread tomorrow.
Or Suinday.
Not sure yet.

did you see the western redesign of hebereke on your travels? they also renamed him 'Bop-Louie'. he looks like Alien hominid
I did, Bop-Louie is a ridiculous name!
Ufouria also led me to this page which had some interesting stuff.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2014, 07:36:02 pm by PixelPiledriver »
And knowing that it is, we seek what it is... ~ Aristotle, Posterior Analytics, Chapter 1

Offline ||||

• The brand with four stripes
    • llll_lijj
    • http://pixeljoint.com/pixels/new_icons.asp?owner=30996&ob=search&dosearch=1
    • Lijj
    • View Profile
    • rawbetty.com

Reply #174 on: February 22, 2014, 07:33:28 am
Great arm structures. :o

Cake Wizard's such a star.

Advertisement.

The best thing since the disposable lighter:

So these cars were on my HD from a while back but I did the letters today and put this silly ad together.

Offline PixelPiledriver

• Yo!
    • View Profile
    • My Blog

Reply #175 on: February 22, 2014, 11:45:11 am
Screen share day!

To join you need to have a Google+ account.

Follow this link to the Google Hangout:
https://plus.google.com/hangouts/_/76cpijtu5ojb4rfmbimjq6717k?hl=en

Download the Google Hangout plugin if you don't already have it.

To use screen share move your mouse to the left side of the window.
A bar with buttons will appear.
Click on the green button with the white arrow.
Then select the monitor/application you want other people to see. ------> for some reason Graphics Gale does not work with the application option, you will need to choose a monitor to display it.

Now you are ready to draw stuff and chat with other Pixelation people!

I will be in and out of the window, doing other stuff.
But I will try keep the hangout open all day, even if I am not around.
Voice chat is not required.
I will most likely be using the text chat window.

That's it!
If you get some time join up!
See you there!
« Last Edit: February 22, 2014, 03:39:40 pm by PixelPiledriver »
And knowing that it is, we seek what it is... ~ Aristotle, Posterior Analytics, Chapter 1

Offline Ai

• finti
    • http://pixeljoint.com/pixels/profile.asp?id=1996
    • finticemo
    • View Profile

Reply #176 on: February 22, 2014, 12:38:43 pm
^ As an addendum to the above, on Arch Linux, this plugin is available as the 'google-talkplugin' on AUR. You will not find it if you search for 'hangout'. (possibly because the name of the download that google provides really is 'google-talkplugin'.)
If you insist on being pessimistic about your own abilities, consider also being pessimistic about the accuracy of that pessimistic judgement.

Offline Ymedron

• All draw and no paint!
    • View Profile
    • My Deviantart account

Reply #177 on: February 22, 2014, 08:29:43 pm
I've spent the last couple of days? designing elemental versions for the dragons on Flight rising. I haven't posted any before because they're split up into a bunch of pictures and don't want to spam with a ton of images, but here's one of the better trios.

(Also Cyang, I think you mistook Ai for me? I don't think I have posted hands here...)
Also my art tumblr: ymedronart.tumblr.com

Offline Ai

• finti
    • http://pixeljoint.com/pixels/profile.asp?id=1996
    • finticemo
    • View Profile

Reply #178 on: February 22, 2014, 11:03:26 pm
Oh, okay, that makes more sense.I agree then.. Only the one in bottom right corner really approaches 'satisfying' for me (but still needs better volumes -- finger sizes are close to correct but not the hand itself). The one in top left is obviously wrong, particularly the thumb. As Atnas said, I need to actually construct these things. It'll be interesting doing that without creating a mess of indistinguishable scribbles, unless I do it digitally.

Means I'll have to spend more than 5 minutes a page. Eh.

@Ymedron:
The middle one looks the most solid IMO, except the head -- I'm not reading the head as an object in 3d space. By contrast the top left dragon has a pretty 3d head. Maybe it's just having just-enough shading to suggest depth?

If you insist on being pessimistic about your own abilities, consider also being pessimistic about the accuracy of that pessimistic judgement.

Offline Ymedron

• All draw and no paint!
    • View Profile
    • My Deviantart account

Reply #179 on: February 22, 2014, 11:56:16 pm
I think the lack of 3d in the middle one's head is because I had more trouble with the design of it. :O It seems I draw better when the design comes to me quickly rather than having to noodle with it a lot...

Shading is probably also a factor, otherwise the cheek-spurs etc would be lost in the lineart.
Also my art tumblr: ymedronart.tumblr.com