AuthorTopic: The Daily Sketch  (Read 1350283 times)

Offline PixelPiledriver

• Yo!
    • View Profile
    • My Blog

Re: The Daily Sketch

Reply #160 on: February 20, 2014, 12:40:52 pm
I missed a few days.

@Atnas:
CAKE WIZARD!?!?!?!?
Cool drawings.  :y:

@|||:
Glad you are liking the thread.
I thought it was cool that she is painting pixels.
Maybe expand on that some?
I put a long session in last night digital painting but it's only about half done.. and I'm not sure if I should post it here since it's not very sketchy..
You are free to post whatever.
I might end up posting some code stuff one of these days.

@everyone:
High fives.

More people should join daily sketch.
Where are you?
Yes you.

Messin around with the blue design.
Decided to vary his size from the others.
He's like a giant penguin, chicken, bird, thing.
He doesn't look quite as silly as before, which I liked a lot, but I think this is a more interesting design.

I plan on doing an open screen share this weekend.
Will post the link when it happens and try to keep it up all day.
Not sure how many people it can support but I guess we will find out -----> I've seen it do 5+ without any problems.
And knowing that it is, we seek what it is... ~ Aristotle, Posterior Analytics, Chapter 1

Offline Probo

• View Profile

Reply #161 on: February 20, 2014, 05:28:11 pm
I will post something! ive been busy

Those bird designs are really cute, the smallest bird looks like hebereke, PPD :)

Offline Cyangmou

• cyangmou
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/32234.htm
    • cyangmou
    • View Profile
    • Pixwerk Homepage

Reply #162 on: February 20, 2014, 11:56:34 pm
So much cool stuff.

Atnas, those are really nice sketches.
Ymedron, that came along really grea tsince the last step =)
Mathias, yeah the anatomy is way off, but without any knowledge it looks impressive.
PPD: I think the first one is designwise the cutest - maybe you should mix him up with number 4 to see what happens.

proceeded with Radius ulna and drifted away to the wrist joint, basically proceeded where II stopped yesterday, although I want to add musculature to the lower arm.
"Because the beauty of the human body is that it hasn't a single muscle which doesn't serve its purpose; that there's not a line wasted; that every detail of it fits one idea, the idea of a man and the life of a man."

Dev-Art
Twitter

Offline Ai

• finti
    • http://pixeljoint.com/pixels/profile.asp?id=1996
    • finticemo
    • View Profile

Reply #163 on: February 21, 2014, 04:15:01 am
@Ellian:
I wanted to say I really like your naga, and it reminds me of the roguelike DCSS in style. I've gotten a good deal of artistic inspiration out of that game.

@Cyang: your studiousness is indeed inspiring. I want to do something similar, but probably mostly digital (layers.. there seems to be a certain limit to how much structure you can show in a single layer, static drawing, and I'd prefer to build it all together..)

@PPD: variations on the original design, or chronologically ordered revisions? I like #2's eyes best, has a sort of zen feel, though I can see that they might seem squinty on the larger sprites.

I really wanted to make sure that I included a sketch in every post, but that doesn't seem like it's gonna happen.. My current organization of art stuff presents a challenge to it -- I pick out items I like and batch scan at the end of each month, because scanning is tedious and a bit of a production to actually even get started. So the stuff I currently have on the computer is January stuff, the only present-time part of that is the digital inking. I also manage uploading to tumblr. I suppose that just means that posting here is the most confusing part currently.

Anyway, I guess I can post this, since I inked it recently and it's not part of a set:

A little bad, a little good.. eh.

Did I mention that white backgrounds are my mortal enemy?

Currently I'm pretty happy with my focus on thumbnailing / quick drawing.. seeing progress there and seem to be vindicated in the belief it's pretty much THE most basic and vital skill for building a good solid picture without mindless fiddling.

Then again, I'm quite suspicious of 'story'/narrative in general, so my idea of a good picture may be -- seems to be -- different from many other people who are posting here.

</ramble>
If you insist on being pessimistic about your own abilities, consider also being pessimistic about the accuracy of that pessimistic judgement.

Offline ||||

• The brand with four stripes
    • llll_lijj
    • http://pixeljoint.com/pixels/new_icons.asp?owner=30996&ob=search&dosearch=1
    • Lijj
    • View Profile
    • rawbetty.com

Reply #164 on: February 21, 2014, 04:35:41 am
Looking good everyone!

I drew another old lady; a wise old pirate and a cobra (got a little lazy on the cobra):

I also scanned a pic for my friend and asked if I could post it here. I like it for some reason.. The white guy's so.. long lol, I think the lady in the bg is funny too:

[by Dusty Santamaria]

PPD: Ok I may post the digi-paint then.

I like the color themes and I think I like the 1st blue bird too, but they're all cute.

Offline purrsimmon

• View Profile

Reply #165 on: February 21, 2014, 05:52:41 am

Offline gnomey

• :)
    • View Profile

Reply #166 on: February 21, 2014, 06:12:21 am
@surt your stuff looks EXTREMELY similar to an old animated movie Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind.

Offline Atnas

• very daijōbs
    • paintbread
    • paintbread
    • View Profile

Reply #167 on: February 21, 2014, 09:02:57 am
Ai: Those hands show a lot of promise, do you do an undersketch first? If not I'd suggest to try it, if they just had a sturdier framework those lines would be kickass

||||: I think it'd be a good exercise to try a drawing like the pirate lady but don't use uniform detail. like in areas of non-interest make the details become non gestural, or play with lighting. it will help focus on important parts of the image.

@PPD: make bluebirds tiniest version be his babies cus they shouldn't die! purrsimmon was the one who drew cake wizard on yesterday's sketch so i told her to join the thread.

cake wizard modelling for his momma

-----------

a few animal studies in here, i need to branch out and get things to click holistically. i can draw a cartoon person in like 10 seconds which is great for animation but only people and only archetypes of them. i'll branch out slowly to new things every day cus i dont want to be a shoe

Edit: i notice a significant difference in my lines. yesterday i was in a bed and today was at my desk. im going to go back to the bed.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2014, 09:04:49 am by Atnas »

Offline purrsimmon

• View Profile

Reply #168 on: February 21, 2014, 09:18:11 am

Offline PixelPiledriver

• Yo!
    • View Profile
    • My Blog

Reply #169 on: February 21, 2014, 01:54:02 pm
@Probo:
I had no idea who Hebereke was, so thanks for that.  :)
Don't usually draw characters other than my own, but it's something I should do every once in a while.

Yo purrsimmon.
Cool drawings.
Cute cat.

@||||:
Really like the boxer image.  :lol:
Agreed the crowd is also awesome.
Pirate lady could use some battle damage/weathering.

Thanks for feedback on blue bird everyone.
I also like the first design a lot.

@PPD: variations on the original design, or chronologically ordered revisions?
Yah they are different designs of the same character, not ages of the same bird.
Altho Atnas has a good point.
I definitely want the player to be able to lay eggs and the 1st design could make a good chick.
Will mess with him some tomorrow.
And knowing that it is, we seek what it is... ~ Aristotle, Posterior Analytics, Chapter 1