AuthorTopic: The Daily Sketch  (Read 1350488 times)

Offline Mathias

• Goodbye.
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/9542.htm
    • View Profile

Re: The Daily Sketch

Reply #130 on: February 16, 2014, 01:59:55 am
Cartoon characters, you're so hard to draw. I kinda hate you.
Anyone decent at toons got any advice? Do I just need to formulate certain facial features and body construction, and just . . . repeat it for everything. This is a battle . . .
It's hard to come up with symbolic/simplified faces, etc to use.

pencil sketch on paper, colored in Photoshop with fancy brushes

Haha, look at Ymedron, staring his fears right in the FACE.
Mecha/robotic stuff gives me problems as well. Always has.

@ p-driver   Oh you remembered eh? Good memory. Sadly, he caved to societal pressures to exhibit more expected behavior. His race isn't quite ready to embrace the future.

@ Ellian   Those are attractive pixels, man! Clean and professional. Makes me wanna eat nutella ganache on square pancakes.

Offline ||||

• The brand with four stripes
    • llll_lijj
    • http://pixeljoint.com/pixels/new_icons.asp?owner=30996&ob=search&dosearch=1
    • Lijj
    • View Profile
    • rawbetty.com

Reply #131 on: February 16, 2014, 02:37:17 am
Mathias I like that style a lot! seems very unique. And that previous one, I especially like the touch of the Daily Sketch title; you also have some good looking handwriting.

Glad you guys liked that Trabant. I was able to pull it off so fast cause I already knew exactly what I needed to do, as it was the second attempt. I only changed the angle a bit and pretty much re-drew it the same, correcting some things.

All the new posts today are great!

Ellian: Those bottles are super pretty!

Surt: That skypede is quite majestic.

Ymedron: Looks like a Jeep Grand Cherokee with some suped up qualities. :)

P-Driver: That poor balloon guy lol (that's an awesome style with the grey values)

Cyang: I forgot to mention I loved the armor sketches you made yesterday and I really like that middle pose on the latter torso compilation.

I am always happy to check this thread out when I can.

* will update this post later tonight with something. I slept in today like crazy, I think it has something to do with the wormwood tincture I'm imbibing. It's an intestinal cleanse I'm doing.
Been giving me psychedelic dreams too (I saw endless pixels, fields of grass and mountains in one).

Updated:
Added a real quickie of a sketch today; more a scribble than anything:

About 5 min spent; just a gesture practice. Must focus on something tonight and have little time.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2014, 05:24:32 am by |||| »

Offline Ai

• finti
    • http://pixeljoint.com/pixels/profile.asp?id=1996
    • finticemo
    • View Profile

Reply #132 on: February 16, 2014, 08:43:38 am
Trees, with semi-automatic flatting via GMIC Colorize Comics filter.

I took the time to make a little tutorial showing how it works.

Basically two layers in: color marks (at approximate location.. mainly just should be 'inside' the relevant area you want to end up that color), lineart layer. And you get a layer with the flats out. Pretty straightforward.

@PPD: Hah, that bird has a real 'horror movie' vibe for some reason :)

@Mathias: I like the tentacle-guy on far bottom left the best. He knows what he's doing, some of the others seem pretty unsure.
The 'blade hands' frames near the upper left have a good flow and momentum, too.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2014, 12:41:03 pm by Ai »
If you insist on being pessimistic about your own abilities, consider also being pessimistic about the accuracy of that pessimistic judgement.

Offline surt

• Meat by-product
    • not_surt
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2254.htm
    • View Profile
    • Uninhabitant

Reply #133 on: February 16, 2014, 10:18:13 am
Cyangmou: I picked up Arcane Worlds in some bundle or other which reminded that I've been meaning to make a Magic Carpet like game. Not that I will actually make one.

More of it:

Offline Ymedron

• All draw and no paint!
    • View Profile
    • My Deviantart account

Reply #134 on: February 16, 2014, 11:27:39 am

More doodling, got really bored of drawing the cars.

Zizka: Actually the comic is the "world improvement" topic. : D It's still extremely vague, it has some thought about it being better if the creation myth concerned snakes or something. Human respect for nature. My mother read it as "well humans are pretty much vipers already aren't they"..

Ellian: I love the bottles and the bar-desk - I've always been a sucker for colorful stuff.
Mathias: One solution is coming up with a more realistic design and trying to draw it with as few lines as possible, exaggerating or simplifying where detail is lost. :O
(also her*)

||||: Looking that car up, it definitely has a design I prefer over more "typical" cars. Hm hmm.

Ai: The wrinkly shells of the... seedpods? work really well with that style. :O
Also my art tumblr: ymedronart.tumblr.com

Offline Cyangmou

• cyangmou
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/32234.htm
    • cyangmou
    • View Profile
    • Pixwerk Homepage

Reply #135 on: February 16, 2014, 04:00:06 pm
Cars... Everywhere   ::)
nice stuff here everyone. Not much time to answer everybody today =)

Next thing I suck terribly intuitively. Constructed cast shadows. Easy examples - to get warm with them and remember the basics - but I was lazy and don' tused a ruler. Maybe I should change that next time and color the planes digitally - would be more accurate and faster as I am thinking of it now.
"Because the beauty of the human body is that it hasn't a single muscle which doesn't serve its purpose; that there's not a line wasted; that every detail of it fits one idea, the idea of a man and the life of a man."

Dev-Art
Twitter

Offline Charlieton

• awkward dancer
    • View Profile

Reply #136 on: February 16, 2014, 08:40:43 pm
I can't keep up!

Friend asked that I quickly draw whatever in MS Paint and he'd make a game from it. This is all I did

Not the best assets!
Det skulle vara lätt för mig att säga att jag inte gillar dig, men det gör jag; tror jag

Offline Ymedron

• All draw and no paint!
    • View Profile
    • My Deviantart account

Reply #137 on: February 16, 2014, 08:43:55 pm
Also my art tumblr: ymedronart.tumblr.com

Offline Mr. Fahrenheit

• View Profile

Reply #138 on: February 17, 2014, 12:56:57 am

Pixel sketch of a pencil sketch of a picture. I rearragne the tree and the horizon to get to the mystical 1/3 line.

Offline Zizka

• Keep on smilin'
    • View Profile

Reply #139 on: February 17, 2014, 07:50:27 am
@Ymedron: reminds me of the hell beast I'm working on a bit. Very scary, well done (has a Falloutesque feel to it).

@Mr. F: Well done, strangely soothing.