AuthorTopic: The Daily Sketch  (Read 1367496 times)

Offline PixelPiledriver

• Yo!
    • View Profile
    • My Blog

Re: The Daily Sketch

Reply #90 on: February 10, 2014, 04:34:28 am

i hope its not too off topic being a week's worth dump but yeah
If you want to dump at the end of the week that's fine.
Just don't post portfolio pieces or sketches from months/years ago.

Fresh new OC. Meet Pooptart.
:y: :lol:
« Last Edit: February 10, 2014, 05:26:45 am by PixelPiledriver »
And knowing that it is, we seek what it is... ~ Aristotle, Posterior Analytics, Chapter 1

Offline ||||

• The brand with four stripes
    • llll_lijj
    • http://pixeljoint.com/pixels/new_icons.asp?owner=30996&ob=search&dosearch=1
    • Lijj
    • View Profile
    • rawbetty.com

Reply #91 on: February 10, 2014, 10:12:31 am
Messing around in photoshop I made a psychedelic paisley pattern:
seamless tile..
but looks a little imbalanced when repeated too much.

Offline Zizka

• Keep on smilin'
    • View Profile

Reply #92 on: February 10, 2014, 12:33:01 pm
Graaahhh! Striking, Cyangmou, striking (your username sounds Chinese to me).

@PPD: I'm rooting for the blue pinguin! Let's see some of his moves!

@Lexou Duck: Bursting with style,  :y: :) :y:

Offline Mathias

• Goodbye.
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/9542.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #93 on: February 10, 2014, 07:30:59 pm
This thread is cool.

. .  .
I really feel super restless whenever I do digital painting or drawing. It's pretty interesting.
What do you mean by this, Ai?

@ p-driver    Lovin' all the little characters! Feels like they have potential.
Owen the Oranger. Orange Owen. Ralph the Ripe. Ripe Ralph. Citrus Bomber. Sytrus Steve. I want him to have half of a orange for a hat/helmet and there be a green leaf sticking off the top for a color accent. Less monotone color scheme (though this char set if very color-coded in nature). And the leaf could rotate like a helicopter blade and give him limited flying/hovering ability. And for his finishing move, he morphs into an orange tree (with his hat on top of the leaf canopy) and all the oranges rain down like cluster bombs on the enemy.

@ ||||    Very random and interesting. I recommend tinting all that dead grey a certain color. That much straight grey next to saturated chunks of color almost always feels too jarring. Hard to explain why . . . I guess because "grey" doesn't really exist in real life, it makes it look to digital-y.
If you don't mind - basically, how'd you create all that in PS?

*EDIT:
« Last Edit: February 15, 2014, 10:58:00 am by Mathias »

Offline Cyangmou

• cyangmou
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/32234.htm
    • cyangmou
    • View Profile
    • Pixwerk Homepage

Reply #94 on: February 11, 2014, 12:03:29 am
want to have a Power Jesus as action figurine =)

tried to draw Nosferatu Zodd from Berserk. Always loved him for his gothic-lion face appeareance.
First try (right upper corner) went terrible wrong. Actually got a bit better after that, but in general I was tired and unconcentrated, after a long day. I should go back to him once I am more concentrated.

"Because the beauty of the human body is that it hasn't a single muscle which doesn't serve its purpose; that there's not a line wasted; that every detail of it fits one idea, the idea of a man and the life of a man."

Dev-Art
Twitter

Offline ||||

• The brand with four stripes
    • llll_lijj
    • http://pixeljoint.com/pixels/new_icons.asp?owner=30996&ob=search&dosearch=1
    • Lijj
    • View Profile
    • rawbetty.com

Reply #95 on: February 11, 2014, 03:47:33 am
 :) Thanks Mathias. I made another as suggested, just some quick color changes using curves and selective color in PS.

How'd I make it? I made two large textures 1st, then just colored them as psychedelic as possible ^-^. I then made some amoebas, or paisley shapes, and just kept layering the textures and painting over them 'til I had 4 solid pieces. I then made a new file and dropped the shapes there, then I converted them to smart objects so I could easily place them to make a tesselation.. once accurately placed I rasterized them. From there I just kept adding more shapes easily by lasso selecting the existing ones and tweaking the hell out of them with the almighty liquify tool to make them into somewhat new shapes. I went over the liquified ones  by painting over, and cleaning up the edges with the brush and eraser tool to keep those sort of clean. Then made those into smart objects and pasted them precisely so they would also tile. Then I painted over again adding some breaks to the obvious patterns here and there. It was fun to make something abstract.. I don't think I've done so in a long time.. felt almost care-free (altough I ended up spending like 3 hours total).
 I set it to my desktop last night but it's far too loud :blind:, so I'll revert to this simple tile I was using before:
 ['//// special']

Edit:
Cyang: Zodd kinda looks like Bateau (or Bato?) from 'Ghost In The Shell'. Very much enjoying your posts, as well as all of this thread.

I probably wont sketch or draw today (gotta work on some tiles for my RPG). Maybe I'll make a new desktop tile though (a simple one).
« Last Edit: February 11, 2014, 04:09:54 am by |||| »

Offline Ai

• finti
    • http://pixeljoint.com/pixels/profile.asp?id=1996
    • finticemo
    • View Profile

Reply #96 on: February 11, 2014, 08:41:10 am
@Mathias Well, you know how when you just have a pencil and paper, there are a lot of things you could draw, but a limited number of ways to draw them.

When I'm drawing digitally, I have a frequent awareness that there are a virtually unlimited number of ways to render any given thing (extending from things as simple as brushes and modes, to tools and filters, all the way out to different apps that specialize in different things like Blender, Inkscape, Knotter), and I have to resist the feeling that I should be doing so and just finish using the current method.

Finding the degree of choice oppressive is probably an expression of perfectionism. Optimize ALL the things!

on-topic:

Just scanned the 110 pages/items of analogue art from January today, am going to try to render all of this batch digitally or digital/analogue mixed (at a rough guess, that will be 190 individual items). WIP, obviously (image is not filled up, not all items are rendered).

I <3 my pixel-ink MyPaint brush.

@|||| : Batou or more exactly Batō

« Last Edit: February 11, 2014, 08:44:28 am by Ai »
If you insist on being pessimistic about your own abilities, consider also being pessimistic about the accuracy of that pessimistic judgement.

Offline PixelPiledriver

• Yo!
    • View Profile
    • My Blog

Reply #97 on: February 11, 2014, 12:33:16 pm

I want to do a few variations of each character.
Did another pass on Pink, as I didn't really understand the initial design ------> magic stuff or something?
Made her food based, but with candy.
I think it works well as a rival to Orange.
Might mess with it some more.

@ p-driver    Lovin' all the little characters! Feels like they have potential.
Owen the Oranger. Orange Owen. Ralph the Ripe. Ripe Ralph. Citrus Bomber. Sytrus Steve. I want him to have half of a orange for a hat/helmet and there be a green leaf sticking off the top for a color accent. Less monotone color scheme (though this char set if very color-coded in nature). And the leaf could rotate like a helicopter blade and give him limited flying/hovering ability. And for his finishing move, he morphs into an orange tree (with his hat on top of the leaf canopy) and all the oranges rain down like cluster bombs on the enemy.
Thanks.
I'm trying hard to keep it extremely limited and still look interesting.
I really want to stick to black + white + one color for all the characters.
Another lighter/hue shifted color, along with a few grays will be used for effects.
I'll still try accents like you suggested.
I realize it's kind of an odd choice, and retinal burning.
But there's something I like about it.

Also thanks for the name ideas!
I might actually use one of those.
The best I could come up with was Egnaro.  :lol:
Somehow I forgot Owen was a name.

Finishing move idea is also cool, noted.
Would be awesome if the scene became very peaceful, with the opponent sleeping under the tree, and then the oranges sprout and bombard the crap out of them.
Definitely gonna add a few more things to his move sheet.

@PPD: I'm rooting for the blue pinguin! Let's see some of his moves!
The move sheet was fun and I will do some more eventually.
BluBird is funny.
Looking forward to making his moves really stupid.

Nice stuff everyone.
Really enjoying checking this thread.
If you're reading this and haven't posted here, THEN C'MON POST!
Posting daily isn't required.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2014, 12:41:06 pm by PixelPiledriver »
And knowing that it is, we seek what it is... ~ Aristotle, Posterior Analytics, Chapter 1

Offline Probo

• View Profile

Reply #98 on: February 11, 2014, 01:02:20 pm

skull in profile. my sketching looks very rushed when i compare it to people on here!! maybe i should slow down

Offline Ymedron

• All draw and no paint!
    • View Profile
    • My Deviantart account

Reply #99 on: February 11, 2014, 08:11:09 pm
Nothing very daily about these but... Doodling flight rising dragons because it's hard to get motivated.
Also my art tumblr: ymedronart.tumblr.com