AuthorTopic: The Daily Sketch  (Read 1362589 times)

Offline Azuyre

• ryuzach
    • View Profile

Re: The Daily Sketch

Reply #40 on: February 02, 2014, 06:22:02 pm
An embarrassing scrawl because I've spent all day downloading skyrim mods.
Kinda reminds me of Gengar. :lol:

Offline Probo

• View Profile

Reply #41 on: February 02, 2014, 10:16:14 pm
I like your sketch style cyangmou, really clean and confident. what kind of pencils do you use? ive often wondered whether a mechanical pencil is the way to go.

working on my bruiser

Offline Cheetah

• View Profile

Reply #42 on: February 03, 2014, 06:01:24 am
Tomorrow I'm going to spend more time on a larger geometric face. The good news is that I did some freehand portraits and they turned out way better than my original post here, so at least I might be improving.

Offline surt

• Meat by-product
    • not_surt
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2254.htm
    • View Profile
    • Uninhabitant

Reply #43 on: February 03, 2014, 11:32:58 am

Offline Pix3M

• View Profile

Reply #44 on: February 03, 2014, 11:54:32 am

Me goofing around with type again.... and experimenting with putting oldstyle numerals with a really extravagant style of text with strong vertical contrasts... (for a lack of a better term?)

I totally didn't shrink the M of my alias because the M wasn't awkwardly big.  :crazy:

Offline Zizka

• Keep on smilin'
    • View Profile

Reply #45 on: February 03, 2014, 12:17:34 pm
It's really interesting to see the art you guys do other than pixel.

Cyangmou I like the way you draw, very precise and yeah, clean and confident for sure. No hesitation, good form. A joy for the eyes. I'm a big fan of everything in pencil anyway.

(Sorry, PPD, you've seen all these but they haven't).

I don't like how I did the flow around the moon and starts but I'm happy with the end result. For a rpg game I never finished.

Offline Cyangmou

• cyangmou
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/32234.htm
    • cyangmou
    • View Profile
    • Pixwerk Homepage

Reply #46 on: February 03, 2014, 02:58:37 pm
@Pix3m really nice fonts.
Everyone nice work again =)

using a simple mechanical "F" pencil sharpened with a cutter, for some occassions also a "B" pencil. But since those are just sketches I don't use my full set. Usually I'd say I am using all from 4B to 2h if I am actually drawing a pencil artwork.

For today something animation and Anime related.
It's Gilles de Rais from Fate Zero.
Very inspirational character, pure incarnation of joy. It's so sad that he don't made it to the end, but at least he vanished with a big boom.
Regarding anatomy: Fate Zero is really advanced in terms of how they drew and animated their faces, it's definitely one of the animation series which has the highest quality standards and definitely worth to study for every animator.

"Because the beauty of the human body is that it hasn't a single muscle which doesn't serve its purpose; that there's not a line wasted; that every detail of it fits one idea, the idea of a man and the life of a man."

Dev-Art
Twitter

Offline breakfast

• @TupelosHoney
    • BBreakfast
    • arcadianatlas
    • becca.bair
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio

Reply #47 on: February 03, 2014, 07:20:27 pm

Finally finished this guy yesterday! It's Booker DeWitt from BioShock, I'm now working on Elizabeth from the same game.

@Pix3m: ohhh I love that font! I'm a sucker for anything Art Deco, if you couldn't tell from my pull towards BioShock. :]

@Probo: really cute sprite! The animation motions look good to me, but maybe try slowing them down just a bit and see how that looks?

Offline Probo

• View Profile

Reply #48 on: February 03, 2014, 08:47:29 pm
@Cyangmou thanks for the pencil info, i didnt realise mechanical pencils were even sharpened! I thought that was one of the benefits, not having to sharpen. so you just swap out the lead as and when you need it? that looks like a fun face to draw, reminds me of blanka for some reason!

@bbreakfast

thanks for the feedback! I have tried it slower, but it was too choppy i thought. I could maybe smooth that out with more frames, but its going to be part of a pseudo-8bit game im trying to make so I dont want to use too many frames.

your sprite looks great by the way. only thing that looks a bit off to me is the hips, they look rather wide, or like he has really full pockets or something? maybe its part of your style.

Offline Cyangmou

• cyangmou
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/32234.htm
    • cyangmou
    • View Profile
    • Pixwerk Homepage

Reply #49 on: February 03, 2014, 08:59:05 pm
... ah no.. no mechanical pencil (meant a traditional one I suppose),
although I used a mechanical pencil a long time, but the standard ones are much better if it comes to giving pressure.
You indeed don't have to sharpen a mechanical pencil, unless you are using a charcoal-version or howeve rit's called.

I am using exactly those ones:
"Because the beauty of the human body is that it hasn't a single muscle which doesn't serve its purpose; that there's not a line wasted; that every detail of it fits one idea, the idea of a man and the life of a man."

Dev-Art
Twitter