AuthorTopic: Giddyap! (Updated)  (Read 10713 times)

Offline Pawige

• View Profile
    • The Noisy Sanctum

Giddyap! (Updated)

on: July 21, 2006, 09:04:53 pm
Alright, I think it's time I took this to you guys. Hit it with both barrels and a hand grenade, please.

Edit: Went over my horse anatomy again and realized I had totally borked up a leg. Also lowered the lance, I think I prefer it that way. There are a couple other tiny changes as well.

Done over the past week in short spurts of spare time. I didn't really try to conserve colors much, so I'm sure there are at least a few wasted ones out of the 24 I used.

Here it is evolving from my initial sketch, I always love to watch these animations:

Still working on an opponent for him. I've got way too many good ideas and not nearly enough time to waste.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2006, 12:15:56 am by Pawige »

Offline Lick

• Formerly known as JointJunkie! ;)
    • View Profile
    • yup

Re: Giddyap!

Reply #1 on: July 21, 2006, 09:15:28 pm
Wow! Awesome progress. The horse looked really good on each of the WIPs! Haha..

The latest WIP is really good, but I think your compositioning could do better. I would add more romance to it, for example a setting sun.. Add more life to it, birds, flowers, insects, WATER!!.. And focus (is that the right word?), give your image dimension.
my ds homebrew blog! - contact me if you're interested to work with me on a ds game.

Offline Matriax

• View Profile
    • MATRIAX PIXEL GRAPHICS

Reply #2 on: July 21, 2006, 09:17:01 pm
I like it, good work :)

About the grass i think the dark shadow need a little hue/blue. And the background mountains need more work.

About the clouds i thin with a litle of dithering will be better.

The rest, the horse etc... its very good.

Offline Andy Tran

• View Profile
    • The City of Andy Tran

Reply #3 on: July 21, 2006, 09:45:24 pm
 O_O! It looks like something I can never do. This is awesome.

Offline Brian

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: July 21, 2006, 10:33:45 pm
God, that is gorgeous! Make the horse a unicorn.
- Brian

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Reply #5 on: July 21, 2006, 10:46:38 pm
He reminds me of Don Quichotte what with the windmills and all. You could add Sancho Panza  on a donkey and add some more windmills as "enemies". :D And prolly change his armor/helmet a tiny bit if you make him DQ.

very cool pic tho, and i checked for colour wastage and there is none really. There are a some colours which are not used in the palette. The only colour that could perhaps be removed is the brown you use on the windmill, that one little plantstem and the cavething. Promotion tells me it's used on 22 pixels :D
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline rabidbaboy

• Jesus Beam!
    • View Profile

Re: Giddyap! (Updated)

Reply #6 on: July 22, 2006, 12:21:19 am
the quality of work i see around here never ceases to amaze...
good job, especially on the horse's anatomy.
"Baboy" is Filipino for pig.

Offline Xion

• View Profile
    • FourbitFriday

Reply #7 on: July 22, 2006, 07:24:50 am
This is really nice.

The way the grass in the foreground is practically the same size as the grass farther back makes it seem like the windmill isn't that far off...just really small.
I agree that the image needs more focus. My eye doesn't know where to look. Maybe a glint of sunlight on the knight or something. Like Matriax said, the shadows of the grass could be bluer.

Offline Pawige

• View Profile
    • The Noisy Sanctum

Reply #8 on: July 22, 2006, 07:52:18 am

Added a quick enemy to see how it'd work out. I originally just stuck him in and was going to make up some jazz about magic shields or whatnot to make sense of the knight just kind of loitering there, but it seemed so contrived I had to put in a bit more work...

"Geoff cursed as the mourr's borrowed body suddenly turned itself around to stare at him across the field; Taking the creature completely by suprise would have been a much simpler affair. A steel lance through the chest was a very effective way to reach the squid-like mourr hiding inside, but it was never easy to get that close if it was prepared for an attack. The sickly stench of rotting flesh and the tangy smell of magic filtered through his visor as he kicked his stallion into a gallop. The host's still far too human throat screamed for a quick death as glowing blades sliced into existence above either hand."

Totally lame, I know, but I like giving pieces like this at least a little backstory, even if it sucks.  :P

I'll see if I can get the perspective looking right in the morning, I'll also work on giving it more of a focal point.
I tried some blue shadowing on the grass and didn't like it, not even sure if I like the greyer shadows I have at the moment.

Ptoing: Funny you should mention Don Quixote, as this picture was part of my inspiration.

Offline Sohashu

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: July 22, 2006, 08:00:17 am
The older posed to me looked as if the horse was halting.  Almost sa if it was pulling away. 

The mourr's head is too far over on his shoulders IMO.  In fact his torso looks to far twisted IMO also. 
Back from hiatus, just remembered how excellent this community is at forming technique in a fledgeling artist of any kind.

Offline Blick

• I am not an eskimo.
    • pixeljoint.com/p/327.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #10 on: July 22, 2006, 08:24:25 am
When I saw the original image, I also thought it was Don Quixote. Like he was looking at the windmill in the distance, getting ready to charge. I thought it had a great composition and I loved the rich palette etc. I'm not too keen on your latest update though. In my mind it's changed from a dramatic scene to a fighting game. It's really killed the scene that was portrayed to me. Especially since the enemy doesn't even fit with the rest because he's basically a magic zombie.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2006, 08:26:07 am by Blick »

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Reply #11 on: July 22, 2006, 08:29:23 am
The enemy looks like Voldo from the Soul Calibur series.
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline rabidbaboy

• Jesus Beam!
    • View Profile

Reply #12 on: July 22, 2006, 11:08:41 am
exactly what i was thinking, ptoing. the stance too, is reminiscent of voldo.
again, nice work, Pawige.
"Baboy" is Filipino for pig.

Offline AlexHW

• View Profile
    • AlexHW

Reply #13 on: July 22, 2006, 04:42:33 pm
I agree with Blick entirely.
The latest image makes it look like some game, and that its very flat in it's focus(the focus of action is all up front).
The first image has a sort of scene-ish look with the rider in front and the windmill in back.
I'd suggest just trying to make the perspective work more so that the windmill looks far away, maybe even make it a bit bigger.
The zombie dude looks out of place in a nice lush life-full envirement.

Offline Pawige

• View Profile
    • The Noisy Sanctum

Reply #14 on: July 22, 2006, 07:40:49 pm
Rollin' back...

Improvement (over the last non-zombie update)? Also of note, the horse wasn't supposed to be striding forwards, he's putting on the brakes. I'm considering combining the galloping horse with the zombie-less background to see how it looks, but right now I've gotta get doing productive things instead.

I've noticed I have a bad tendancy to put all my characters on the same plane. Going to try to address that problem next time.

Offline Lick

• View Profile
    • yup

Reply #15 on: July 22, 2006, 08:03:20 pm
Nice update. I like the fuller landscape, it's more grass more variation and more life. The windmill is really cute also, but will you be able to add something to the right without blocking it? Will you be adding more at all? It's still missing something if you ask me.
my ds homebrew blog! - contact me if you're interested to work with me on a ds game.

Offline Brian

• View Profile

Reply #16 on: July 22, 2006, 11:43:31 pm
Haha one of your images makes the horse look like a unicorn! I WIN! YAY! My work here is done.
*goes to inspire some more peeps* Thanks!
- Brian

Offline Blick

• I am not an eskimo.
    • View Profile

Reply #17 on: July 23, 2006, 01:46:57 am
So I'm going to ignore that post and go straight to the art.

Stop messing with it. Well, at least that's what I'd do. It's perfect right now and I honestly couldn't tell you how to make it better. The piece is clean and clear and I'm in love with the colors. The amount of detail is impressive, but not overwhelming, so yeah. I'd personally stop now.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #18 on: July 23, 2006, 03:13:35 am
Agree. Stop. You're done. Proceed to corridor E for kisses and cookies.

Offline Blick

• I am not an eskimo.
    • View Profile

Reply #19 on: July 23, 2006, 06:46:03 am
Well hot damn, I am just on the ball these days. I practically feel accomplished for not only having Alex completely agree with one of my posts, but then Helm agrees with my next post. Sorry that this post doesn't add much else other than to say that I have a sense of pride in that I might have some idea as to what I'm talking about.

Offline Pawige

• View Profile
    • The Noisy Sanctum

Reply #20 on: July 23, 2006, 06:59:09 am
Excellent. Moved into the Finished folder. Completely new things are already in the works.

Thanks for all the crits and comments, you guys rock.

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/475.htm
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #21 on: July 24, 2006, 02:50:31 pm
I'd really love to animate that horse for kicks, mind if I do?

Offline Pawige

• View Profile
    • The Noisy Sanctum

Reply #22 on: July 24, 2006, 04:09:05 pm
Feel free!

Offline Lick

• View Profile
    • yup

Reply #23 on: July 24, 2006, 11:01:13 pm
Well it's good that a piece is not revised millions of times otherwise it will lose the intial feel you had for a piece.

Anyway, make another painting-like piece! :p

Offline miascugh

• Schnitzelfiend
    • View Profile

Reply #24 on: July 24, 2006, 11:23:37 pm
Couldn't really add much useful to what has already been said before, so now I'm just posting to say that i love the final result. Really nice to look at :).

Kudos

Offline lief

• View Profile

Reply #25 on: July 24, 2006, 11:43:37 pm
i love this painting style of pixelart.  i approve, and bonus marks for finishing.

Offline Tremulant

• Enfant Terrible
    • View Profile

Reply #26 on: July 24, 2006, 11:57:59 pm
I'll follow the lead. No more crits, but you deserve all the praise I've got. Beautiful stuff, and you inspired me! Hooray!