AuthorTopic: Introducing Butt Pie  (Read 8724 times)

Offline PsylentKnight

• View Profile

Introducing Butt Pie

on: January 30, 2014, 12:13:49 am
Well I haven't done much on my game in about a month... I've been super busy. Anyway, I've completely redone the main character for my game: Butt Pie. I may have gone a little overboard on his chest... those were intended to be moobs but look more like full-on female breasts.

Also, here's the shop in the hub world... I posted it in my last thread but got no response. Note that the girl will be animated. This is just a mockup.

Thanks in advance, everyone!
Mommy's Boy: Development Blog  Youtube  Contact: MommysBoyGame or Psylent-Knight@hotmail
View all my game assets at 300% zoom (click twice)

Offline PsylentKnight

• View Profile

Re: Introducing Butt Pie

Reply #1 on: February 04, 2014, 02:21:45 am

I did the running animation... that was a pain. I almost bit off more than I could chew for my first running animation. It look me about 6 hours. Its pretty sloppy in places, but I'm tired of working on it for now. I plan on buying graphics gale soon but for now all I have is the sheet.

Let me know what you guys think. :D

PS: If someone could make a gif from this or tell me how to make a gif from a sprite sheet with buying graphics gale, that would make me really happy. :P
« Last Edit: February 04, 2014, 02:29:09 am by PsylentKnight »
Mommy's Boy: Development Blog  Youtube  Contact: MommysBoyGame or Psylent-Knight@hotmail

Offline Probo

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: February 04, 2014, 02:59:24 am

there ya go! I like it!! loads of character, very silly. i like the shadow of the arm coming across the stomach. the tongue seems to have to stretch a lot to come round his head like that though

Offline PsylentKnight

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: February 04, 2014, 03:10:15 am
Thank you! I've been working on it for hours and now I can finally see it in action haha.

I agree about the tongue. Maybe I should make it longer in the frames leading up it wrapping around his head.

Offline astraldata

• View Profile
    • MUGEN ZERO

Reply #4 on: February 05, 2014, 09:58:39 pm
You're right dude. It does look very much like female breasts lol.

I'd suggest making them appear stringy or more like cones that point forward in some fashion.

Also, the shading on the frontmost shoulder needs a highlight of some kind to indicate it's there in the foreground. I would also include some sort of large buttcheek on the character silhouette to make it true to his name. At the moment, he seems too generic-looking without at least some distinguishing feature like that.

Finally, I think the reason you didn't receive any crits on your booth is that it was actually pretty spot on. I couldn't find anything wrong with it without being really nitpicky and introducing personal preference into the critique.
I'm offering free pixel-art mentorship for promising pixel artists. For details, click here.

http://mugenzero.userboard.net/

Offline PsylentKnight

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: February 06, 2014, 12:10:44 am
Your suggestions for the boobs are dually noted (see what I did there?)  ;)

I tried making the frontmost shoulder stand out with the sharp black shading under it, but I'll try the highlights you suggested too.

I'm not so sure about the butt... Butt Pie will actually probably only be a working title for him. But I do agree about him being too generic. His belly is pretty blank, so I may add a symbol or something or another to make him more memorable/recognizable.

Also on the to do list: making his tongue more readable when it wraps around his head, doing some general cleanup, and fixing his belly so it doesn't look like he's pregnant with a child having a seizure.

Offline PsylentKnight

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: June 23, 2014, 03:06:02 am
Hey guys, progress has been non-existent (except for some planning and concept drawings) but I caught a second wind and I've done quite a few things over the past few days. The main thing I want critique on is the jump animation.

Update 1: Made a few improvements, none too noticable

For reference, this is how I plan to utilize it:
1st frame - idle to jump transition
2nd frame - jump anticipation
3rd frame - displays as long as character is going up
4th frame - up to down transition
5th frame - displays as long as character is going down
6th frame - jump recovery

Any tips? It seems a little jerky to me, but I'm not sure how to fix that.

Feel free to point out anything else you see thats wrong.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2014, 03:51:27 am by PsylentKnight »

Offline YellowLime

• View Profile
    • Sour Pixels

Reply #7 on: June 24, 2014, 11:35:14 am
Well, adding a couple more frames would make it smoother. ::)
Since you already have the keyframes down, just add some inbetweens,
since I think that you're trying to capture a long, complex motion in too few frames

Also, there's a frame where the character looks at us (the 'idle' frame?).
That helps add to the jerkiness, since the character suddenly and quickly looks
to the side and then forward for the rest of the animation.

Nice character, keep at it ;)

Offline PsylentKnight

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: June 24, 2014, 06:26:31 pm
Aw man, tweens are a pain. XD But I suppose you're right about it being necessary for an animation with this much motion. The head and arms in particular are very jerky, and you're right about the eyes. I'm pretty satisfied with the legs and the flop of the boobs (boob physics ftw), but I guess being even smoother won't hurt it.

Offline astraldata

• View Profile
    • MUGEN ZERO

Reply #9 on: June 24, 2014, 06:56:24 pm

Same number of frames as original.

It isn't enough to simply add frames to make an animation look 'smoother' -- If your animation is broken at 4 frames, 100 frames of transition won't help it look any better -- it'll just be slower, and speeding its display rate will lead to the exact same broken animation you had at 4 frames.

The problem with 'jerkiness' is actually in the spacing 'between' frames.

Notice that I said "between frames" -- this is important because most of your animation isn't even drawn -- it is simply implied.

When treating your low-frame animation as separate and disjointed images, you will almost certainly experience "jerkiness" in your animation, even when using onion skinning to help you with spacing because you're probably not taking into account mass/weight, silhouette, 3d-arcs, or, most importantly, basic physics.

These things are scientific variables that can be calculated and predicted, and our eyes/brain can do that calculation without us even being aware of it consciously. Even people who don't know anything about physics or animation can still see there's something wrong.

In a way, you have to backtrack that mental calculation (between frames) when animating and ensure stuff lines up with the physics you're trying to convey. This ensures the jerkiness will vanish since everything is following a natural rhythm and locomotion which makes sense to the viewer's brain and eyes, leading to a smoother-looking animation because the brain is not simply discarding the useless and incomprehensible portions of the animation frames which lead to the 'jerkyness' you're experiencing when viewing the animation.

Also keep in mind the silhouette of keyframes.

Each frame that has some sense of visual 'impact' should be considered a keyframe, and the 'key' to the keyframe is a strong iconic shape that is clearly recognizable through shape alone.

As you're intending in your animation's usage in-game, each frame has a purpose, and should have some sense of dynamic impact in the silhouettes since they will all be held at some point for longer than a frame (or so I would assume.)

A good point of reference for strong silhouettes and a low animation frame-count is Anime. Your stuff is more Warner Bros. / Looney-Tunes style, but the principles of physics and strong dynamic keyframe poses still apply.

Frame 3 was your strongest offender here since his hands crossed his face in this pose. If the frame were completely black, you'd have a hard time telling what was going on vs. the pose in my new edit.

In this version of my edit, I tweaked the Frame 4 silhouette a little and added an outline to the hand to make it appear more visually clear that it is on a completely separate 3d plane than the face (the style of spriting you're using isn't very common due to problems like these that require outlines to be used in some circumstances such as the one here -- and although usually a number of colors with high contrasts can solve this issue as well, in cases where a skin tone on a hand must go over a face with the same tones, or in other cases where there's no brighter colors on the palette, an outline of some kind is essential for clarity.)

Anyway, that should give you a good start on your animation stuff.

I modified the belly a little for anticipation/recovery/3dform to emphasize the blobby-ness of your guy, and kept the moobs female-looking. xD
I'm offering free pixel-art mentorship for promising pixel artists. For details, click here.

http://mugenzero.userboard.net/