AuthorTopic: [WIP] Space exploration game concepts  (Read 2100 times)

Offline nooget

• View Profile

[WIP] Space exploration game concepts

on: January 29, 2014, 05:05:01 am
Hi, everyone -

My friends and I at Foolish Aggro are working on a space exploration game at the moment. I'm working on testing out different ship types (both human and alien). I came up with the following today:

I can't tell yet if I like the alien ship yet since the colors feel weird. We want the alien tech to be decidedly different from any human crafts.

Any tips or comments would certainly be appreciated. I'm really new to pixel art, so I'm sure there is lots of room for improvement.

Offline PsylentKnight

• View Profile

Re: [WIP] Space exploration game concepts

Reply #1 on: February 01, 2014, 04:22:30 am
I'm pretty new to pixel art as well so I don't know how much of a help I can be.

I can say for sure that I don't like the colors on the alien ship either. They're far too dark and low contrast. Because of this, its hard to make out its details. Also, I think that making the bubbles burst at precisely the same time makes it look highly inorganic. I'm not sure if it this was your intent, but assuming that this is some sort of biotech I would expect some degree of randomness.

On the far left ship, the upper right red light messes up (turns partially grey) at some point, definitely fix that.

Those are the big things that I notice, I suppose someone more experienced can help you out further.

I like where they're heading. :) The spinning satellite is fun to watch haha
« Last Edit: February 02, 2014, 12:35:19 am by PsylentKnight »
Mommy's Boy: Development Blog  Youtube  Contact: MommysBoyGame or Psylent-Knight@hotmail
View all my game assets at 300% zoom (click twice)

Offline BatElite

• View Profile

Re: [WIP] Space exploration game concepts

Reply #2 on: February 01, 2014, 11:18:09 pm
The palettes could use some improvement.
Regarding the alien ship colours, the ramp going from yellow to green to orange looks rather odd, because hue values go back and forth considerably in the asteroid ramp.
The human ships use a lot of grey, which tends to look boring. The red and orange are nearly identical.

Here are some palette edits:

For the alien ship I used the green from the original and made a new ramp from there.
I also gave the greys a blue hue and made the lightest colour in the ramp a bit lighter.

Also, some ideas for the ships themselves:

I think it would be better if the bubble exhausts on the alien ship went a bit more backward, to show more clearly where the ship is heading. I also shaped it more like a cone for the same reason.

The many lines on the round ships, as well as the other ships make conveying depth difficult, and if the sprites are going to rotate the lines won't be readable in most directions. The edit hopefully shows more depth.

On the whisk/scanner I didn't change much, but simplified it a bit. The thick outlines on the original make it hard to read.

For the double-barreled ship I did the same as with the round one, and added an idea for some firing effects.
Any other edits are mostly personal preference. Good luck with the project!
Quote from: Cure
Well you tried your best.