AuthorTopic: I am retiring as a moderator of Pixelation - Also, Changes!  (Read 26403 times)

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Re: I am retiring as a moderator of Pixelation - Also, Changes!

Reply #50 on: February 02, 2014, 09:05:05 pm
Totally agree with Mr. F here. Tutorials have a place, but that should mainly be when it comes to very technical things. Like tutorials for a specific program (which does not apply much in 2D, but in 3D it does). Tutorials for drawing specific things like trees, eyes, bricks and so on are pretty pointless imo. Just look at real instances of what you wanna draw and simplify from there.

I know this may sound a bit daft to someone starting out, but the best lesson you can learn about anything is that there are no shortcuts to getting good. The only thing you can do is put in the time to become good.

So in that case specific C&C is a lot better because it allows people to point out where someone could use improving.
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline Cyangmou

• cyangmou
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/32234.htm
    • cyangmou
    • View Profile
    • Pixwerk Homepage

Reply #51 on: February 02, 2014, 09:46:53 pm
Tut's are unpersonal, giving someone critique is very personal.

The Link lists maybe also need a makeover, they seem to be pretty old.
"Because the beauty of the human body is that it hasn't a single muscle which doesn't serve its purpose; that there's not a line wasted; that every detail of it fits one idea, the idea of a man and the life of a man."

Dev-Art
Twitter

Offline Facet

• View Profile

Reply #52 on: February 02, 2014, 10:17:39 pm
I meant to give the 'linkage' threads an update/prune ages ago actually :-[, I'll go make a start on culling all the dead links and then maybe we could do with a bunch of new suggestions, maybe more internal links to preserve quality crits like someone was asking earlier.

Thanks for everything Helm!

Offline Atnas

• very daijōbs
    • paintbread
    • paintbread
    • View Profile

Reply #53 on: February 02, 2014, 11:29:58 pm
Until we get a thanks system integrated, a new thread where people post links to internal critique that struck them as particularly helpful wouldn't be a bad idea imo.

And since it seems we'll be adding a feature chest for each art section, we should probably be a little more proactive about archiving new and excellent content.

Offline Zizka

• Keep on smilin'
    • View Profile

Reply #54 on: February 03, 2014, 12:21:09 pm
For the skin of the forum, couldn't we do something collaborative? That would be nice, what do you guys think?

Offline Atnas

• very daijōbs
    • paintbread
    • paintbread
    • View Profile

Reply #55 on: February 03, 2014, 01:21:07 pm
The skin will come soon, basically all that's left is a day of busywork from what I saw. If it's not this month, I'll be very very surprised.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2014, 01:41:17 pm by Atnas »

Offline Crow

• Technicanimal
    • View Profile

Reply #56 on: February 03, 2014, 01:26:08 pm
The skin will come soon, basically all that's left is a day of busywork from what I saw. If it's not this month, I'll be very very surprised.

Did you see something I didn't? :/
Discord: Ennea#9999

Offline Atnas

• very daijōbs
    • paintbread
    • paintbread
    • View Profile

Reply #57 on: February 03, 2014, 01:36:09 pm
Apparently I mistook ptoings mockup for a screenshot. :/ My bad, that actually makes me pretty worried. Forget what I said.

Offline Azuyre

• ryuzach
    • View Profile

Reply #58 on: February 04, 2014, 12:00:55 am
I'm a little late to this but thanks for all the help you've given so far Helm! :D

Regarding changes and stuff for the forums I was recently thinking about posting the palette I'm using for a game project to ask for some advice and it got me thinking about a thread for that type of thing. I thought it might be interesting if we had a dedicated color thread or something, the first post could contain a running list of commonly used palettes like console palettes and low color palettes by people like Arne and Dawnbringer.

Besides just working as a list the topic could be used to discuss general stuff relating to palettes and color, people could also post art or palettes and ask for advice when it's for something small that doesn't seem thread-worthy.

Do you guys think this is something that might get some use?

Offline Ai

• finti
    • http://pixeljoint.com/pixels/profile.asp?id=1996
    • finticemo
    • View Profile

Reply #59 on: February 04, 2014, 12:22:25 am
I'm a little late to this but thanks for all the help you've given so far Helm! :D

Regarding changes and stuff for the forums I was recently thinking about posting the palette I'm using for a game project to ask for some advice and it got me thinking about a thread for that type of thing. I thought it might be interesting if we had a dedicated color thread or something, the first post could contain a running list of commonly used palettes like console palettes and low color palettes by people like Arne and Dawnbringer.
Console palettes are not so simple as a palette by itself.

Besides just working as a list the topic could be used to discuss general stuff relating to palettes and color, people could also post art or palettes and ask for advice when it's for something small that doesn't seem thread-worthy.

Do you guys think this is something that might get some use?

Personally, I think there is plenty of confusion about color around here, so yes.
I'll drop off some links that are good resources:
 this, this, or this.
If you insist on being pessimistic about your own abilities, consider also being pessimistic about the accuracy of that pessimistic judgement.