AuthorTopic: I am retiring as a moderator of Pixelation - Also, Changes!  (Read 26395 times)

Offline Atnas

• very daijōbs
    • paintbread
    • paintbread
    • View Profile

Re: I am retiring as a moderator of Pixelation - Also, Changes!

Reply #40 on: February 01, 2014, 07:00:46 pm
RAV: Rereading your posts I realize we aren't in disagreement, the only thing I'm cautious of is gearing Pixelation more towards a single art form than it already is. Because I think the narrow focus on pixel art is actually hurting the forum, and instead of expanding it to embrace something specific like voxels, I think it should be all inclusive. I think the pixel art "fad" won't die, and the forum enjoyed success in the 2000s because of the popularization of the indie scene and expansion of mobile gaming and handheld gaming, but now I think it's past due to take all the practices we've applied to one form of computer art and apply it more generally. In a broad sense, Pixelation is present in all forms of computer art, if you look close enough! c: And I think that's the important step forward, and in order to realize that I'm set on creating a better environment in the low spec boards. Voxels would be included, if there is interest.

To attract new, fresh, eager blood to that area there needs to be a step in a new direction, I agree. I'm planning a series of challenges, activities, or tutorials, whatever there is most notably a lack of, in the realm of low poly or 2d hd painting etc. I really believe that's the future of the forum, because it's the natural evolution of the displays traditionally used for pixel art. But resolution technology has outgrown pixel art as we've come to understand it, so we should offer the same atmosphere as we once did for those tiny finite resolution graphics for larger, potentially infinite resolution graphics.

Also as a disclaimer, I'm not advocating a shift of focus so much as a broadening of focus. I want to be able to come here for relevant, available, productive critique for my real world needs, and thats mostly hi res 2d meant for medium size screens. The emphasis on pixel art will always be first and foremost of the forum.

Offline Ryumaru

• to be animated soonly
    • ChrisPariano
    • View Profile

Reply #41 on: February 01, 2014, 07:03:58 pm
 :y: woot :y:

Cure: I see the focus on art, but I've never seen it as prohibitive. If you've ever visited conceptart, I think they do it well. I personally don't mind the competition and reward aspect, but that's just me. Sometimes it can be a way to cheat less driven but talented artists into participating.

Should MM be pixel art only? or if the other art forums are created, it could be a way to be all inclusive allowing for painted and even 3D work.

Also, about an HD art forum, what about an activity where sprites from famous games are reinterpreted? Think fighters, final fantasies and such.

edit: Man that katana is sexy.

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Reply #42 on: February 01, 2014, 07:05:12 pm
Yeah, sure, we could try all that. Giving it a shot wont hurt.
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline Ryumaru

• to be animated soonly
    • ChrisPariano
    • View Profile

Reply #43 on: February 01, 2014, 07:07:49 pm
Atnas: do you know of any people that specialize in 2DHD art creation that would be willing to help get things rolling? Challenges and activities for members already here is good, but we will need people that excel, or have primary interest in that area to make things stick.

Offline Atnas

• very daijōbs
    • paintbread
    • paintbread
    • View Profile

Reply #44 on: February 01, 2014, 07:13:22 pm
I definitely think all mediums supported by the community should be allowed in forum-wide activities such as the theoretical Mockup Monday. If there's an opportunity to be inclusive, I think it's a good idea. Obviously something like a dither challenge would wind up being pixel art only, but where we can pull in more participation, the better.

Ryu: Indigo and st0ven off the top of my head are the two that were most interested in starting a separate 2dhd board with me a few years back. Actually st0ven and I chipped in to pay for the domain and space and he did a lot of work on the forum but we never got it off the ground. I specifically think Indigo's lowpoly 3d -> pixel art conversion method is one of the most important and relevant things to this forum that we could all learn a lot from. Also his Spunk and Moxie game is a nice clean example of hd art that scales down well and emulates pixel art principles. st0ven works with vectors a lot and I would imagine he has a lot to say about how to extend the finite nature of pixel art to the infinite nature of vector without suffering from all the pitfalls most vector artists get carried away with.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2014, 07:14:56 pm by Atnas »

Offline RAV

• View Profile
    • Blackbox Voxel Tool

Reply #45 on: February 01, 2014, 08:02:27 pm
Well, I have nothing to disagree, even if it's not quite my way, nor the resonance I'd need. Wish you the best of luck. Your choice is fair enough.
I consider my duty done here and concern myself with other matters henceforth. After all, I played the role of pompous poser or desperate beggar long enough. =)

« Last Edit: February 01, 2014, 08:04:56 pm by RAV »

Offline Ryumaru

• to be animated soonly
    • ChrisPariano
    • View Profile

Reply #46 on: February 01, 2014, 08:15:18 pm
Atnas: They are both extremely talented and I would love to see their work grace the pages of pixelation again, even if not in the form of pixel art. Not to mention they are both still very knowledgeable in PA and could lend it to critiques every now and again.

RAV: It's obvious you're very passionate about voxels! If/when things are set up with a bit more purpose and utility in this forum, we would love to see you share your work in the medium. People passionate about what they do is what makes forums like this run.

Offline Chris2balls

• Pixel Artist
    • ckelsallpxls
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/14966.htm
    • chris2balls
    • chriskelsallpixelart
    • View Profile
    • Chris Kelsall's Pixel Portfolio

Reply #47 on: February 02, 2014, 12:45:02 am
You've contributed a lot as a moderator to shaping Pixelation, Helm, but I agree that it's time for some new, dynamic, enthusiastic and motivated users in the staff team.
I'm all for more challenges and activities! The De-Make challenge was what originally brought me to Pixelation! :D
☑ Available for work     ☒ Unavailable for work
Check out my portfolio if you are looking for a pixel artist!

Offline questseeker

• View Profile

Reply #48 on: February 02, 2014, 07:09:48 pm
My opinion about "broadening" topics is that pixel art is a broad enough theme, but peripheral aspects beyond the C&C and challenges threads that are the main content of the forum are a bit neglected, making the forum as a whole less nice and useful than it could be.
  • Software and technical aspects, particularly at a time when several high profile pixel-oriented drawing programs are under development but don't seem to find a lot of love and interest.
  • "Almost" pixel art, maybe including the mentioned 3D voxel art. Being inclusive and not scaring away non-purists can be an important feature.
  • Tutorials and recommendations for beginners, addressing the common gap between "I want/need to draw this and that" and "I cannot make it look good" in a preemptive, organized and high quality way rather than repeatedly and haphazardly in C&C threads.
  • Discussion of current videogame graphics. The pixel art niche includes good games that, in many cases, aren' even particularly "retro": if the newest game in the Commercial Critique section is Pokemon Red/Blue it's a clear sign of an overly nostalgic point of view.

Offline Mr. Fahrenheit

• View Profile

Reply #49 on: February 02, 2014, 08:14:12 pm
  • Tutorials and recommendations for beginners, addressing the common gap between "I want/need to draw this and that" and "I cannot make it look good" in a preemptive, organized and high quality way rather than repeatedly and haphazardly in C&C threads.

C+C is always better in a case by case basis. A thread that just shows how to do various items would lead to everyone's teakettles or whatnot looking exactly the same. If that is what you are saying, if not I'm dumb.