AuthorTopic: Pixel Art & Scaling/Screen Resolutions (Mobile Dev)  (Read 2725 times)

Offline Muqali

• View Profile
Hello all.  I have been working on a game that uses 32x32 tiled pixel art.  I am trying to plan for multiple screen resolutions.

Suppose I have a 10x10 grid of 32x32 pixel tiles.  This puts me at a base size of 320x320 pixels.  Does this mean I can only scale it to values such as 640x640 and 960x960?  If I don't do a perfect scale it screws up the pixel art (some pixels get duplicated while others don't).

If anyone has dealt with this and knows what I'm talking about, how did you get around this?  The only thing I can think of is to always only scale by a whole number and add a margin based on any leftover pixels. 

Thanks!

Offline Cyangmou

• cyangmou
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/32234.htm
    • cyangmou
    • View Profile
    • Pixwerk Homepage

Re: Pixel Art & Scaling/Screen Resolutions (Mobile Dev)

Reply #1 on: June 08, 2015, 03:58:39 pm
Suppose I have a 10x10 grid of 32x32 pixel tiles.  This puts me at a base size of 320x320 pixels.  Does this mean I can only scale it to values such as 640x640 and 960x960?  If I don't do a perfect scale it screws up the pixel art (some pixels get duplicated while others don't).

that's right

to make it working for the whole spectrum of phone screens you need to have a list with the phones which are most commonly used and then you try to find a character/tile size which works sharply on the average.
A big plus for something like that is if your gameplay isn't that much restricted by screen borders (for action or stealth game a different viewing range can hurt the gameplay etc.)
"Because the beauty of the human body is that it hasn't a single muscle which doesn't serve its purpose; that there's not a line wasted; that every detail of it fits one idea, the idea of a man and the life of a man."

Dev-Art
Twitter

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Re: Pixel Art & Scaling/Screen Resolutions (Mobile Dev)

Reply #2 on: June 08, 2015, 09:15:58 pm
Keep in mind that if you're upscaling pixel art 3x or so, then even if the aspect ratio is not exact 1:1, and you get a few irregular pixels most people won't notice. If you avoid dithering and a lot of single pixel stuff, wonky aspect can fly under the radar.