AuthorTopic: Graphics Gale Saving Issue - 8bpp PNG with Alpha Channel Error  (Read 3614 times)

Offline Pixly

• View Profile
I was wondering if their is a way to recover a PNG file after saving it with a color depth of 8bpp and alpha channel. I like to use 8bpp color depth so I can recolor sprites easily, but sometimes I forget to set it back to 24bpp. The result is a mostly black sprite with some random colors.

Below is a side by side comparison of the original, and what happens when saved with the settings posted above.

« Last Edit: April 10, 2015, 01:57:35 am by Pixly »

Offline 32

• @AngusDoolan
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/19827.htm
    • View Profile
I save most of my images like this and I've never seen the issue. Are you using the latest version? I would imagine it is not possible to recover the data from the image, however Graphics Gale is automatically set up to keep backups of your work in your documents folder in windows, perhaps your lost image was caught in there. I recommend saving as .gal until you're ready to export the work in any case, that should sidestep the issue entirely.

Offline Antilurker77

• View Profile
I'm having the same issue. Adding an alpha channel and saving it in 8bbp completely corrupts the image. It's extremely annoying.