AuthorTopic: Ninja [wip]  (Read 3714 times)

Offline Neo Berserker

• View Profile

Ninja [wip]

on: January 27, 2014, 03:41:27 am
Hello, today i decided to remake a piece i started a while ago.

Old:

Newer:

First, I simplified it by eliminated a bunch of stuff(less is more). I changed and reduced the amount of colors, which i realized do make a big difference. Also, I'm using a thicker outline in several places to give it more of a style i guess, not really sure if it helps that much. I'll see if i can add the feet later, those have always been tricky for me.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2014, 09:41:00 pm by Neo Berserker »

Offline Tapsu

• View Profile

Re: Ninja [wip]

Reply #1 on: January 28, 2014, 06:25:43 pm
(I am not really the one to be taken seriously, but as you seem to be getting no replies at all)

My best guess is that the new version may be more clear in the shape of the yellow decorations, but that may very well be the only thing that would usually be seen as a positive change here.

The colors look extremely saturated, it is probably not a good idea to force the viewer to see the material color with such intensity at every pixel.

And the new shading looks like pillow shading.

By the way, what happened to the legs?

Offline coffee

• JohanAronson
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: January 28, 2014, 09:42:58 pm
It seems like you've decided to go for an entierly different style, I personally liked the old one, it has more personality.
I would also ditch the outline if you intend to only display it on the grey background and want to use AA to smoothen it out.
Talking about AA, it's a bit of a mess and things could do well to be cleaned up somewhat in the direction of your newest version, although the newest version
could use some of the softer curves the old one got.

I made this edit for you where I cleaned up the edges, the A.A and some other elements, adjusting his body and so. I also made the details clearer and more easily readable(was in a hurry so his lower body became a bit sloppy):

Hope it helps you in the right direction!

/Coffee
« Last Edit: January 29, 2014, 11:13:03 am by coffee »

Offline Neo Berserker

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: January 29, 2014, 09:48:51 pm
@Tapsu, you were right about the newer version, the colors do seem too saturated, i toned them down just a little bit for the sake of anyone viewing this thread. Oh and i didn't get to finish the legs before i posted here,  those are unfinished.

@Coffee, your edit made me go back to the older one, thanks alot! it's really helping me. I haven't applied AA yet but this is the current version.

Offline Neo Berserker

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: February 12, 2014, 01:46:35 am
Now that i finally got some free time i went back to this. More refinement and AA now. This might be final.

Offline Grimsane

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: March 01, 2014, 07:35:59 am
I kinda like the stylized version, the saturation is fine within the bounds of such a style in my opinion.

one thing i think that looks a bit awkward is the legs, maybe you should try something more ninja like this edit.

You can always just do the legs on the other style one, the edit is rough, you seem to have a good grasp of pixel clusters so no real crits there.