AuthorTopic: Weird monster  (Read 3776 times)

Offline monstagames

• View Profile

Weird monster

on: July 21, 2006, 02:42:31 pm
Hello,
I'd like to introduce myself, i am monstagames. I have been pixeling for a few years now, i started pixeling when i discovered a program called gamemaker, the group of guys i worked with needed someone to do the graphics and i decided to give it a try. I really liked doing graphics and kept searching for community's, to learn more. And i already came a couple of times across this site but never had the time to join. Anyway i would like some critics on these pixels.

The lines for the last one are done by ARACHNE, it's couloured for a pixel battle and you'd have to use exactly 16 colours.

-Monstagames

Offline monstagames

• View Profile

Re: Weird monster

Reply #1 on: July 27, 2006, 12:44:35 pm

Added some contrast to the flames.

Offline CrumbBread

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: July 27, 2006, 01:18:07 pm
I really like the Arachne-line-art one (the way you colored/textured it is very different from the rest of the takes I've seen).

As for Mr. Wierd Moster, he seems to be missing something and I don't know what it is.

Best guesses:

Detailed eyes (instead of just white with a black dot).
AA'ed wrinkles?
Use shading instead of plain lines to give shape (especially to the folds around the purple things)
Darker shadows
The spouts the flames emerge from look very flat, and the flames themselves look like blood-soaked straw brooms. ^_^
I don't think the orange light from the flames plays into the rest of the picture enough.

All in all I would focus on:

Making the eyes and tentacles look more organically connected to the body (Right now they have a "drawn as an afterthought" look to them, even though you probably didn't draw them as an afterthought).
Giving him some more volume (darker shadows would help at least partially here, I think).
Flames (I know how hard fire is. I don't even try anymore =P But there are a number of posts here involving fire and I am sure you can find something to help you along).

Continue your very strange but good work.

Offline Lantaarnpaal

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: July 27, 2006, 01:25:59 pm
I really like the one that ararchne did the lineart for...Really nicely coloured. And the weird monster...I don't know there is something about it..don't know what it is. Oh and guys, I've been browsing around this forum and I really have to say that all you guys give brilliant C & C. Props for that.

Offline CrumbBread

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: July 27, 2006, 02:00:15 pm
And the weird monster...I don't know there is something about it..don't know what it is.

Something good or something bad? Details! =)

Offline Larwick

• Larwick
    • http://www.pixeljoint.com/p/3794.htm
    • View Profile
    • Artstation

Reply #5 on: July 27, 2006, 02:28:44 pm
Firstly: the Arachne colouring is very nice, i think you could selout/aa better in the outlines though, as the head and legs are left slightly jaggedy, and i dont think you should let this stand when you've got some really good colouring going.

Secondleee: The weird monster thing seems very rushed and not much thought about the lineart and general structure. There's too much going on at once i think, with nothing general for the eye to gaze upon or from. Its body also seems too flat, there's possible pillowshading going on aswel. And the metal seems to be given a dented texture, rather than just a reflective surface. I suggest you research that a little more, as well as the flames, which at the moment looks like hair.

Hope that helps, keep it up.
~

Offline monstagames

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: July 27, 2006, 04:50:43 pm
Thankyou very much guys :), i think i will just remake whole of the monster thing with all the critics you gave me.