AuthorTopic: [WIP] Game Character  (Read 2611 times)

Offline Jimacat

• View Profile

[WIP] Game Character

on: January 24, 2014, 08:06:27 pm
Hey. So I recently started development of a game I wanted to make, but I'm no good with pixel art for the character. All I have is this head, and I don't really know where to go with it. I want it to look something along the lines of Sword and Sorcery EP but not too much. Any suggestions?

Also, any good places where I can upload my pixel art to forums without links?
« Last Edit: January 27, 2014, 09:37:05 am by PixelPiledriver »

Offline netmancer

• View Profile

Re: [WIP] Game Character

Reply #1 on: January 27, 2014, 05:10:49 am
I Use Photo Bucket to upload my pixel art it works great. Also don't forget the [img] tags. As for your head i can't tell you anything because its just a head  :P. What you need to do is make a list of charters in your game that you want. Then start thinking about how you want each one to look. If you get stuck you can always look at photos of other peoples interpretations. Once you have a clear idea, draw a basic rough sketch of the way you want it to look in pixel art. Then just refine the piece of art and then your done  ;D.

Offline tehwexxl0rz

• Swing the bat.
    • ianwexl0rz
    • https://pixeljoint.com/p/15996.htm
    • View Profile
    • Ian Wexler | Game Developer

Reply #2 on: January 27, 2014, 06:54:31 am
Dude, seriously? You haven't even tried. Draw the whole character and don't worry about style. We can't critique something that doesn't exist yet.

Considering 1) you want to make a game and 2) you aren't comfortable drawing a single character, making a list of characters to put in your game should be the last thing on your mind.

If you don't have any ideas for the protagonist's design, try describing him in as much detail as possible and then collecting reference pictures that exemplify that description in some way or another.

Offline Mathias

• Goodbye.
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/9542.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: January 27, 2014, 07:04:23 am
Yep.

You need to be churning out tons of little sketches and sprites.
Style studies.
Do work.
Try hard.
Make tons of stuff.
Don't get trapped on any one thing for too long.
Start LOTS of drawings.
Finish very few.

Everything you draw will be another step closer to where you want to be. Forum feedback is pointless for your artistic betterment. Work is all that matters.

SO WORK. WORK, BOY, WORK!