AuthorTopic: Goob running after his own bone.  (Read 5886 times)

Offline NaCl

• When it rains it pours
    • View Profile

Re: Goob throwing a nasty bone and licking itself

Reply #10 on: January 19, 2014, 12:21:17 am
I think you're still being too timid with the wind up. The follow-through is much better, however. Look at how in Cyang's edit, he really wrenches the bone back, before snapping it forward. I suspect that one problem is that you're not drawing every frame. Rather, modifying each previous frame. This isn't a good practice because it will make you timid with your movement, and the movements will generally be stiff. If you draw every frame by itself, you can get the thing moving properly.

Offline Zizka

• Keep on smilin'
    • View Profile

Reply #11 on: January 19, 2014, 05:04:05 pm
This isn't a good practice because it will make you timid with your movement, and the movements will generally be stiff. If you draw every frame by itself, you can get the thing moving properly.

Oh yes, this is exactly what I'm doing. Didn't realize it was a bad thing before I read it in your comment however.

Here's another update. I haven't implemented NaCl's comment but I read it just now (as I was coming to post this).

Offline Mr. Fahrenheit

• View Profile

Reply #12 on: January 19, 2014, 07:08:16 pm
The licking part doesnt really make any sense to me. I think if you want it to lick itself you should make it more cartoony like a dog might, with the whole back and head being put into the motion with the tongue dragging behind.

Offline Zizka

• Keep on smilin'
    • View Profile

Reply #13 on: January 19, 2014, 07:13:09 pm
Alright, I'll fix that too.

Offline Probo

• View Profile

Reply #14 on: January 19, 2014, 07:39:08 pm
or the tongue could come up and run across the top lip in that classic way, that would make me chuckle. This reminds me a bit of Simon the sorcerer, in a very good way!

Offline Seiseki

• Starmancer
    • OminuxGames
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/35207.htm
    • StarmancerGame
    • View Profile
    • Starmancer Patreon

Reply #15 on: January 20, 2014, 09:38:36 am
Thanks  :)

A slightly updated version, I'm trying to get the little guy to turn his head but there's something off about it.

I LOVE this addition to his animation! :D

Offline Zizka

• Keep on smilin'
    • View Profile

Re: Goob running after his own bone.

Reply #16 on: January 22, 2014, 01:02:22 pm
Thanks, Seiseki.  ;)

Alright,

* So I thought about what Mr. Farenheit said and I decided to remove the licking part entirely, I felt it was off.

* Instead I integrated the idea of having the tongue dangle out as the imp is running. Maybe it could be implemented however, I'll read what you guys have to say about that. (Probo)

* I removed some more outline, my objective being to have none at all.

* I tweaked the running cycle ruther. The first two frames were too close together distance-wise. I also added a few frames to make it more fluid when he goes from being idle to running.

* A added a short ''shocked'' animation sort of to justify the running.

* I modified the expression of the imp as it runs to make it less monotonous.

* I modified the trajectory of the bone to give it more of an impression of power. I also want to convey the idea that the imp is ultimately running after its own bone. I find the animation makes more sense that way.

* I increased the windup (NaCl) and tweaked the timing a bit further. Hopefully this will be enough.

So, if you guys can't find anything else sticking out I think I'm going to call this one a wrap.

From v1:

to V6:

« Last Edit: January 22, 2014, 04:12:40 pm by Zizka »