AuthorTopic: Kos Fighter: Laine  (Read 8633 times)

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Re: Kos Fighter: Laine

Reply #20 on: July 21, 2006, 08:59:06 am

Two main things: this perspective doesn't really work with fighter sprites. They tend to be without any depth, not 100% truly 2d cutouts, but pretty darned close. Their eye level tends to be on the horizon (as in your sprite too) but there's no foreshortening vertically on their body parts. Their shoulders are parallel, their hips are parallel, their knees are parallel, their feet are parallel, stances notwithstanding. In games like Street Fighter and KOS etc. Unless this is supposed to go in a Fatal Fury type of situation (even theoretically, you don't have to put this into a game for real to design it as if it were to go in a game), with depths and a high horizon, I think you should pull the deeper leg down so it's on the same plane as the forward one.

The other thing is again center of gravity. The black dash is ground level, the red dot is center of gravity, she's behind it, she's out of balance unless she compensates with her arms extended in front of her or something. I have to return to my original point that you should study the rules of construction and build her from the ground up, taking into account balance and gravity just as much as anatomy and aesthetics.

instant

Reply #21 on: July 21, 2006, 11:44:49 am

Two main things: this perspective doesn't really work with fighter sprites. They tend to be without any depth, not 100% truly 2d cutouts, but pretty darned close. Their eye level tends to be on the horizon (as in your sprite too) but there's no foreshortening vertically on their body parts. Their shoulders are parallel, their hips are parallel, their knees are parallel, their feet are parallel, stances notwithstanding. In games like Street Fighter and KOS etc. Unless this is supposed to go in a Fatal Fury type of situation (even theoretically, you don't have to put this into a game for real to design it as if it were to go in a game), with depths and a high horizon, I think you should pull the deeper leg down so it's on the same plane as the forward one.

The other thing is again center of gravity. The black dash is ground level, the red dot is center of gravity, she's behind it, she's out of balance unless she compensates with her arms extended in front of her or something. I have to return to my original point that you should study the rules of construction and build her from the ground up, taking into account balance and gravity just as much as anatomy and aesthetics.

Interesting point there, I'm probably going to look up some kung fu poses and  try to emulate a bit of those stances. This current stance is a bit weak. She looks as if she is in between poses. Possible a strong horse stance would work?

should I continue with the current shading?

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #22 on: July 21, 2006, 12:02:14 pm
The current shading shows promise,carry on just as long as you're aware her torso is extremely disproportionate to her legs.

instant

Reply #23 on: July 22, 2006, 03:46:34 am
I'm probably going to rework the entire sprite, the reference pic you gave really helps.

<edit>
this is what I've come up with thus far:

I still think that perspective is off  :-\

what do you guys think?

</edit>
« Last Edit: July 22, 2006, 04:34:16 am by instant »

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #24 on: July 22, 2006, 04:06:38 pm
Don't see any perspective problems with that one, personally. Its your best construction in this thread so far.