AuthorTopic: Girl with a gun - Shooting Animation [WIP][C+C]  (Read 10392 times)

Offline PixelPiledriver

• Yo!
    • View Profile
    • My Blog

Re: Girl with a gun - Shooting Animation [WIP][C+C]

Reply #10 on: February 03, 2014, 07:27:15 pm
was wondering, if you make all the frames have the same timing, is duplication a good thing to try ?
Yes.
This way you can time out an entire animation with only a few frames and then replace duplicates with a new drawing without disturbing the length and overall timing.
It also gives you room to add slight variations to similar frames.
It also allows you to add in content that runs at a different rate than the rest of the animation.
This is very important for follow thru elements/etc and also if you plan on drawing effects directly into the frames ---> rather than using separate objs in a particle system.
If you change the delays of each frame then everything else will also be locked into that speed.
I usually set all my animations to a baseline low delay, defining a single frame as the fastest speed possible.
Then anything slower is duplicated numerous times.

Some thoughts.

« Last Edit: February 04, 2014, 11:28:56 am by PixelPiledriver »
And knowing that it is, we seek what it is... ~ Aristotle, Posterior Analytics, Chapter 1

Offline HarveyDentMustDie

• I dream too much.
    • View Profile
    • Deviant Art

Reply #11 on: February 04, 2014, 04:17:57 pm
@PixelPiledriver Thank you very much. For a long time I'm a big fan of your very useful edits. :D I really like the third version.

I love animating, and when I made my first animation two years ago, I used a lot of frames with same timing. Later on, I started using different timings to speed up the process and until now I didn't know that it wasn't very smart idea.  :(  I was adding more frames with low timings only when I needed to add something faster to the animation.

I'll fix some frames, add more details, and post new version soon. :)

• I dream too much.
    • View Profile
    • Deviant Art

Reply #12 on: February 06, 2014, 01:31:10 am
Hi guys. This is a new update. I still have to fix some pixels and maybe tweak couple of frames, but I'm satisfied how things currently develop.  :) As always every comment is more than appreciated.  ;)

« Last Edit: February 06, 2014, 01:55:52 am by HarveyDentMustDie »

Offline Mr. Fahrenheit

• View Profile

Reply #13 on: February 06, 2014, 01:59:21 am
The timing of the bang seems weird to me, I feel like it should go at the same time as the gun. I hear myself going "pow-bang" in my head and it just seems awkward.

Maybe also have the bang like explode at you and have it go to the screen then come back a bit, you know what I mean.

• I dream too much.
    • View Profile
    • Deviant Art

Reply #14 on: February 06, 2014, 08:40:33 am
@Mr. Fahrenheit
You are right, there is a delay between bang and shot. I tried out different things and that was most neutral solution.

How about something like this? :) I tried not to cover up character with letters, so I put "Bang!" behind her.

« Last Edit: February 06, 2014, 09:05:40 am by HarveyDentMustDie »

Offline ErekT

• fistful of pixels
    • View Profile

Reply #15 on: February 06, 2014, 07:03:04 pm
Very charming animation. Well done :) I think in terms of shading and palette there's still some things you could improve upon. Quite a bit of pixel noise and low contrast on the skirt especially that Kcilc's edit takes care of.

• I dream too much.
    • View Profile
    • Deviant Art

Reply #16 on: February 07, 2014, 12:21:01 am
@ ErekT
Thank you.  ;D Kcilc made very useful edit but it has to be miniskirt without any slits. I agree that it needs some corrections, and I'll see what I can do about that.  ;) For now I increased skirt color contrast, slightly fixed bullet shell trajectory and add another shot. There's still some glitch frames, and some pixels to fix.

« Last Edit: February 07, 2014, 12:42:42 am by HarveyDentMustDie »

Offline ErekT

• fistful of pixels
    • View Profile

Reply #17 on: February 07, 2014, 01:59:34 am
Here's a small thought on palette, this being for a horror setting. Also tried to clean up some pixels.

• I dream too much.
    • View Profile
    • Deviant Art

Reply #18 on: February 07, 2014, 10:57:32 pm
@ErekT
Thanks for edit. I like what you did with a skirt, and some shading fixes. Your pallet make her more pale, almost dead looking like the enemy characters. It's true that it would make it more creepy, but I've intentionally used more vibrant colors to show that she don't belong to that world and that she is still alive. I will fix shading, and clean animation to make it more fluent.

What do you think about "Bang!" effect?

Offline Johasu

• @johasu232
    • Johasu232
    • View Profile

Reply #19 on: February 07, 2014, 11:02:16 pm
The large orange cluster on her chest catches my eye a lot.
I'm not sure if it's supposed to be part of her shirt or a bit of flesh tone, but it feels....  out of place sort of.
Gallery:  http://johasu.deviantart.com/gallery/
Twitter:  @johasu232