AuthorTopic: GR#223 - Improving my Spooky Ghost - Scenery Process & Animation  (Read 46638 times)

Offline HarveyDentMustDie

• I dream too much.
    • View Profile
    • Deviant Art

Re: [WIP] Improving my spooky ghost

Reply #60 on: October 29, 2014, 11:09:00 pm
I have few notes on this. Night is never pitch black dark, so when your light goes off you won't loose all elements from the screen. You should at least show some shapes with currently darkest blue you've use.

Also your fade out flicker is very strange, especially because it happens in equal intervals. It's like car signal lights.

Also, how come ghosts are visible only when light is on? Because of this, they just read as mom and son going out to trick and treat.

Offline PsylentKnight

• View Profile

Reply #61 on: October 29, 2014, 11:35:02 pm
I agree with Harvey on the flickering. I liked it better when it flickered very sharply and randomly. It was very uncomfortable to watch (hard on the eyes), but I suppose it could be said that that's to your advantage given your subject.

Also, how come ghosts are visible only when light is on? Because of this, they just read as mom and son going out to trick and treat.

I haven't seen many modern portrayals of ghosts that are glow-in-the-dark. This scene in Mama comes to mind:
Mommy's Boy: Development Blog  Youtube  Contact: MommysBoyGame or Psylent-Knight@hotmail
View all my game assets at 300% zoom (click twice)

Offline HarveyDentMustDie

• I dream too much.
    • View Profile
    • Deviant Art

Reply #62 on: October 30, 2014, 11:12:45 am
@PsylentKnight Good point. From the beginning of this tread I had impression that he wants to achieve glowing effect.

Something like this:

Offline Lakelezz

• View Profile
    • Lakelezz@deviantArt

Reply #63 on: October 30, 2014, 09:33:19 pm
The ghosts are not glowing but the eyes.

The flickering is not happening in exactly equal intervals but I guess that is almost impossible to see. In the end the feeling about the animation is what counts, so thanks for your impressions!
However I dislike the idea of adding just a pure strobelight festival (which would be sharp and random flickering).

I tried to combine the idea of the calm flickering with the rather rapid ones. Additionally I added a shade for the darkest frames - using the darkest blue tone.

This is still work in progress and I have already some thought but I would really like to hear your opinions!

Thanks for your support, HarveyDentMustDie and PsylentKnight!

Offline Mr. Fahrenheit

• View Profile

Reply #64 on: October 31, 2014, 01:49:07 am
You definately need to leave a space of either on for a while, off for a while, or both.

Offline Lakelezz

• View Profile
    • Lakelezz@deviantArt

Reply #65 on: October 31, 2014, 02:56:55 pm
When? Between both the fast and slow flickering?

Offline Lakelezz

• View Profile
    • Lakelezz@deviantArt

Reply #66 on: October 31, 2014, 09:39:13 pm
Thanks everyone!

I decided to finish the piece and stop editing it since I want to move on. Additionally it simply fits to publish due Halloween.
However I really want to thank you all for your great critique and welcoming help :)

If you want to take a look at the finished piece, here is the link: http://lakelezz.deviantart.com/art/Shadowless-Life-Animated-491796466
There will be probably no more changes on it.