AuthorTopic: A samurai guy and I'll probably post more later.  (Read 4171 times)

Offline Savick

• View Profile

A samurai guy and I'll probably post more later.

on: January 13, 2014, 04:40:15 pm
Say what you want about it! I'm here to improve and get used to criticism. So, if it sucks, say how it can be better. I'm using a 16 color palette.

Something I did this afternoon. Just gonna keep on posting new work whether I get comments or not.  :P

I think I have trouble discerning how a top down and platform sprite would differ because this is supposed to be top down and I'm not sure about it.
I just noticed the arm being off on the right, plus its a WIP. Any thoughts guys?

some more work on the samurai. I'd love some input!
« Last Edit: January 15, 2014, 12:00:27 am by Savick »

Offline netmancer

• View Profile

Re: A samurai guy and I'll probably post more later.

Reply #1 on: January 16, 2014, 03:47:26 am
First the samurai looks good except for two things: 1 it looks like the hand on the left is touching the sword, which would hurt  :ouch:. 2 unless you want him to look like a cartoon get rid of the blue bit and give him a more defined chin. If you do these two things I think he would look great. Next the nerd well, he looks like a nerd (and a cool one ) :P. Finally the frontal view, I would redo his right side like his left side then wold try to animate him, by lifting an arm and lifting the opposite leg, also I would shrink his head a bit. That is all the advice i can give. sorry i cant post picks right now so busy  :'(.

Offline Savick

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: January 16, 2014, 08:04:47 am
First the samurai looks good except for two things: 1 it looks like the hand on the left is touching the sword, which would hurt  :ouch:. 2 unless you want him to look like a cartoon get rid of the blue bit and give him a more defined chin. If you do these two things I think he would look great. Next the nerd well, he looks like a nerd (and a cool one ) :P. Finally the frontal view, I would redo his right side like his left side then wold try to animate him, by lifting an arm and lifting the opposite leg, also I would shrink his head a bit. That is all the advice i can give. sorry i cant post picks right now so busy  :'(.

Here's an update I did on the samurai with an outline observing the underlining anatomy that I was ignoring earlier. I'll put some more work into him from your tips as well. It's probably not the best anatomy still, but since I did it I think I learned a bit. Also I hate the frontal view so take a look at this which is supposed to be the same character, but with some refinement.

Offline netmancer

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: January 16, 2014, 08:15:15 pm
I really like the new frontal view he looks good. I like the one on the left more, because the one on the right looks a bit squished. As for the samurai if you do what you said, I think he will turn out very nice. Good job  :y:

Offline Savick

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: January 18, 2014, 06:00:08 pm
I really like the new frontal view he looks good. I like the one on the left more, because the one on the right looks a bit squished. As for the samurai if you do what you said, I think he will turn out very nice. Good job  :y:

Thanks netmancer. Here's an update on the old guy. I like the 17 colors one better, but I'm not sure.

Offline netmancer

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: January 19, 2014, 01:11:48 am
I agree with you i like the 17 color one more. You just need to darken its colors a bit they are over saturated.

Offline Savick

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: January 19, 2014, 02:16:57 am
I agree with you i like the 17 color one more. You just need to darken its colors a bit they are over saturated.

Is that enough desaturation on the right? I don't want him to end up looking dull.

Offline sevinkydink

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: January 19, 2014, 02:41:27 am
I'm not great - but I made some slight color shifts.  Just a thought.  Also cut down to 16 colors - I think....