AuthorTopic: Need help with Iso and pixle art in general  (Read 3120 times)

Offline banskin

• View Profile

Need help with Iso and pixle art in general

on: January 12, 2014, 02:46:47 am
Very new pixel artist, been doing it for about 7 hours non stop now, really enjoying it, i have a very basic example of what i have been doing for 7 hours here:

http://banskin.deviantart.com/

Now i have been having a lot of fun with making a Cupboard but where do you think i could go from here ?

Any advise would be fantastic

Thank's in advance
Banskin
« Last Edit: January 12, 2014, 03:24:34 am by banskin »

Offline banskin

• View Profile

Re: Need help with Iso and pixle art in general

Reply #1 on: January 12, 2014, 04:05:27 am
New pixel drawing someone maybe could use to see where i could go

Offline cels

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/32715.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: January 12, 2014, 04:10:13 am
Give it a few weeks, you'll snap out of a pixelling trance after going 16 hours straight, empty pizza and chinese food boxes littering the room, cat trying to claw its way through the walls to find a new owner, while you barely recognise the sound of the police knocking on the door, with complaints of weird smells coming from your apartment.

Anyway, nice first attempt. Here's a few pointers:

1) Start smaller. Smaller pieces force you to work harder with pixel control, while being much easier to modify and improve as you get feedback and learn new things.
2) Decide what the light source is and then think how it applies to every surface. For example, the top of this furniture is the exact same shade as the shelves underneath. If the light source is above the cupboard, then the shelves should be at least partially in shadow, if not fully. Not only are these surfaces the same colour right now, but the fact that the shelves have dark panels on both sides, while the top of the cupboard is surrounded by retina-burning bright yellow walls, actually creates the illusion that the shelves are brighter than the top of the cupboard! Which would be weird.
3) Also notice how the vertical panels in the cupboard are equally outside as inside.
4) Be consistent about how you draw outlines and edges. The top shelf has a dark edge on top, while the shelf below has a bright edge on top. The right side of the cupboard is brighter than the left side of the cupboard, but the left side has a brighter edge on top. Also, your book has dark edges and outlines on all sides.
5) Please wait more than a few hours before bumping your thread  :)

Here's an ancient chinese story about pixel art.

Once upon a time, a young orphan went to the Shaolin Temple and asked to see the Abbot.
When the young boy came before the Abbot, he knelt down and said: “Honourable Master, would you please accept me as your student and teach me Kung Fu? I will follow your instruction and serve you anyway I can, and I promise I won’t let you down.”

The Abbot decided to put the young boy through a test to see whether he was suitable or not as a student, so he said to the young boy: “Of course I will teach you Kung Fu, but since I am about to be away for one year to take care of some monastic business in some far away provinces, could you do something for me in my absence?” The young boy was so pleased he had the chance to serve the Abbot that he readily agreed to the request.

The Abbot took the young boy to the nearby forest and pointed to a big tree: “Could you cut down that tree and use it to carve a Buddha statue for me?” The boy quickly replied: “This I will gladly do, Honourable Master. I promise the statue will be ready upon your return.”

Next day, as soon as the Abbot left the monastery, the young boy went to the forest and chopped down the tree with an axe and proceeded to make a statue of Buddha with it. Determined to please the Abbot, he worked with his best effort to make a fine carving of it.

By the time the Abbot returned to the monastery a year later, the young boy had completed the carving of a five feet tall Buddha statue and was eager to present his pride and joy to the Abbot. Having examined the Buddha statue closely the Abbot decided to give the young boy a further test. “The workmanship of this statue is very good but it isn’t what I was expecting. I need a statue smaller than this. Since I am due to be away for another year, could you use the time to make this Buddha statue smaller for me?”

On hearing this, the young boy was very disappointed but none the less agreed reluctantly to make the statue smaller. Besieged by the lack of appreciation and unhappiness, the young boy found he had to force himself to work. Six months on, he was shocked to realise he had carved an ungainly looking Buddha with a crooked, unhappy face.

The boy was so depressed with what he had done that he could not bring himself to work any further and ceased all work on the statue. Days passed into weeks and weeks into months, the Abbot was due to return shortly, and the boy felt the Abbot would surely reject him as a student for his lack of effort. The more he thought about it, the unhappier he became.

Awakening with a start one morning, he came upon the sudden realisation that if he truly wished to become a student of the Abbot, he must do his best to bring true his promise to the Abbot. Otherwise, why should the Abbot accept him as a student? If completing the carving of the Buddha is what it takes to please the Abbot, then he should put in his best effort and learn to enjoy what he had to do instead of wallowing in resentment.

The change of his perspective proved to be the turning point he needed. He became happier and with newfound patience and determination, he went back to work on the statue. In spite of the shortness of time, the boy managed to reduce the size of the Buddha to two feet tall with a smiling face, by the time the Abbot returned.

The Abbot was pleased with what he saw but decided to give one final test to the young boy. “You did a splendid job but the statue is still a bit too big for what I need,” said the Abbot. “It just so happens that I am due to journey to another monastery in a few days time to give teaching for one year, could you possibly make the statue even smaller while I am away?”

This time, the young boy showed no sign of disappointment for he had learned the importance of patience through having conquered himself. So he answered joyfully: “Honourable Master, I will do exactly as you said.”

For the next twelve months, the young boy spent every available moment he had to refine the carving of the Buddha. The face of the Buddha became increasingly lifelike as it reflected more and more the joy and loving care the boy brought to his work.

By the time the Buddha was refined to a two inches tall statue, the Abbot had once again made his way back to the monastery. Upon seeing what the young boy had done with the statue, the Abbot knew for sure that this young boy had passed the test and would made a good student. The young boy went on to fulfil the high hope of his master and became one of the best students in the Shaolin Temple.

Offline banskin

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: January 12, 2014, 04:13:52 am
Yeah i think i will rest, i have been going for about 12 hours now, rest, then work I will take on board everything you have said, Nice story very wise :)

Keep a eye out i will post when i have worked on what you have said :) Thank's again, i will get good at this, even if if takes FOREVER
forever ... forever

Offline Vagrant

• At your service.
    • @VagrantPixels
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/43310.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: January 12, 2014, 06:31:15 am
Damn, 12 hours.

It usually takes alot of time when it's your first time trying out the medium. But as you get experience, you'll be able to do alot in shorter lengths of time, just like in other art mediums.

Pixel art can be particularly tedious and have you stuck often though. It's why it can be such an invaluable help when someone takes the time to do an edit critique to your work.

Offline API-Beast

• beast_pixels
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/35725.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: January 12, 2014, 08:38:41 pm
I would suggest starting with a lot smaller canvas, a side perspective and a limited palette. That way you can focus on experimenting and thus rise your skill level much faster.

Something like this: Keep it simple at first until you have become confident.

Offline banskin

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: January 13, 2014, 07:58:20 am
Thank you so much for all the support,
 I will be attempting two more pieces tonight , one ISO one non ISO

Thank you so much for being such a helpful and nice community ,
Banskin

Offline banskin

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: January 13, 2014, 05:19:55 pm
Made an attempt at some more pixel art, i decided to go smaller and apply all the tips that you guys provided, i tried swords as they seemed simple and i did a couple, i spent about a hour making them perfect, but i still think its not ... as good as it can be, whats the problem and how can i improve ?

« Last Edit: January 14, 2014, 09:34:37 pm by PixelPiledriver »