AuthorTopic: GR#190 - Pacific Grove - Pixel Artwork Scenery  (Read 29070 times)

Offline coffee

• JohanAronson
    • View Profile

Re: Pacific Grove

Reply #20 on: March 09, 2014, 02:04:03 pm
Hey Slym!
This looks really wonderful so far. I don't think you should mess with perspective a lot more, I like the edit where you had started on the sand etc. It looks best so far imo and the perspective doesn't really look off, I think it has to do a lot more with that some pieces are more detailed so far and it just messed with your focus a bit when you look at it. Although I would change the colours in the background a bit more and make it more pacific, meaning the humidity is higher and I would use a colour more close to the sky.

One thing that I'm not sure about is the fog. I would probably drop it. It doesn't make that much sense since it's daylight
and it would more or less have dissappeared by the time the light is like this and it gets confused with clouds instead.

made a really quick edit:

One last thing! With those kind of waves, there would be a lot more foam going on around the cliffs, didn't have the time to go into that but it could be something to think of.

Looking forward to see this complete =)

/coffee

Offline Manupix

• View Profile
    • Pixeljoint gallery

Reply #21 on: March 16, 2014, 01:23:54 am
Quick perspective edit:

Raised middle- and background to better agreement with the foreground angle of view. If you don't see it then it probably doesn't matter! ;)

I agree with coffee about fog, mostly because seeing right to the horizon gives a lot of depth to the piece.

Offline Neirda

• View Profile
    • Oddtales

Reply #22 on: March 16, 2014, 10:37:35 pm
Hi buddy, I really love your pixel art pattern & details, I think the wave is a little bit out of perspective ( seems view on top on flat background ), and also the land is too close of the sea on the right corner,  Here is a little speedpainting I've done for helping, you should increase the horizontal canvas size too belong to me, that often better for landscape...

Offline Alex Sinigaglia

• aka G.o.D.
    • god-of-death-alex
    • View Profile

Reply #23 on: March 20, 2014, 12:13:51 pm
The farther mountains should be less pixelated/square-ish.
I tried to edit it a bit (using coffee's edit):

coffee's                ->                mine
« Last Edit: March 20, 2014, 12:15:23 pm by Alex Sinigaglia »

Offline coffee

• JohanAronson
    • View Profile

Reply #24 on: March 20, 2014, 07:50:31 pm
Yeah, don't pay any mind to the squarish pixels. Was in a hurry and only roughed things down with a larger brush. I think Zlym will refine the squarish forms in the background as he goes as well. It was just an edit to show an alternative direction.

Offline slym

• View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #25 on: May 15, 2014, 02:31:04 am
So thankful for all of the wonderful critique thus far! Here's what I've got now =]

let me know what you think!

Offline tim

• Founder of Odd Tales - Art Director
    • View Profile
    • Tim Soret - Showreel

Reply #26 on: May 15, 2014, 03:42:37 pm
It's beautiful, but there is still quite a lot of perspective issue, you didn't study Neirda's edit enough.
Founder of Odd Tales
Art Director - Game Director - Game designer - Motion designer

Offline astraldata

• View Profile
    • MUGEN ZERO

Reply #27 on: May 15, 2014, 04:28:19 pm
It's beautiful, but there is still quite a lot of perspective issue, you didn't study Neirda's edit enough.

That might have something to do with the wave meeting the closer rock formation at almost a straight line as it goes to the bottom left tree roots section of the image. It doesn't show a clear distinction from the background island-looking thing from the foreground rock-formation perspective-wise due to the enormity of that wave. That's not the only issue, but it's the one that sticks out most to me since it tries to separate the foreground and background so harshly with that large wave. It may also help to separate the middle-ground rock-formation into two sections so that the portion nearest the wave in question can be altered to fit the perspective/horizon line a bit more easily without much editing.

Just my 2 cents.
I'm offering free pixel-art mentorship for promising pixel artists. For details, click here.

http://mugenzero.userboard.net/

Offline r1k

• View Profile

Reply #28 on: May 15, 2014, 09:00:01 pm
personally, the perspective issues are making the peice more interesting for me.  Neidra's is a little boring a cliche by comparison.

Offline astraldata

• View Profile
    • MUGEN ZERO

Reply #29 on: May 15, 2014, 10:55:18 pm
@r1k
I agree with you on that for the most part, but the green color of that wave makes it look too close to the sandy area than it really should be, as it's difficult to tell how far out into the ocean that wave break actually is. I think the interest lies not in the distortion of the perspective, but in the framing of the foreground area though. A better idea would to bring some of that rock formation out to show some of it through the wave crest as it's washing into the foreground area to give a sense that the rocks are a little closer to the sandy waters than they really are, essentially keeping the cool 'framing' effect he's got going on:

I'm offering free pixel-art mentorship for promising pixel artists. For details, click here.

http://mugenzero.userboard.net/