AuthorTopic: GR#190 - Pacific Grove - Pixel Artwork Scenery  (Read 29077 times)

Offline Mathias

• Goodbye.
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/9542.htm
    • View Profile

Re: Pacific Grove

Reply #40 on: May 28, 2014, 12:49:39 pm
We need some more color and light action goin' on in here.

biggun

FOR CALIFORNIA

Offline jams0988

• View Profile

Reply #41 on: May 29, 2014, 05:36:37 am
We need some more color and light action goin' on in here.
I respectfully but firmly disagree!  :lol:
I love Slym's palette here. Yours is appealing, too, but a little too rainbow-y for my tastes.

Offline cels

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/32715.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #42 on: May 29, 2014, 09:31:28 pm
I agree with jams0988 that it's two very different styles, but I don't think Mathias' changes can all be dismissed as a stylistic choice.

- The water looks more translucent and shiny, it catches the sunlight more.
- He's added more details to the ocean in the background, reflecting the sunlight
- He's added some light to the tree trunks on the left, which were extraordinarily dark before.
- He's given more depth to the clouds, the distant island, etc
- Bunch of other stuff

Of all these changes, I think Mathias' changes to the water were a particularly nice touch. It really added a new level of realism, IMO.

One thing that I don't like in either slym's latest version or Mathias' edit, is the position of the sun. The sun is touching the horizon, yet the amount of light used on various objects in the foreground and the choice of colours, doesn't really give the impression that the sun is almost gone. The colours are too vivid, too strong. If the sun wasn't there, I would have guessed that it was almost noon.
Maybe I'm wrong.

Offline Mathias

• Goodbye.
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/9542.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #43 on: May 29, 2014, 09:51:52 pm
Haha, very good, jams. Others' opinions are always great to hear. No matter what.
I did go a tad crazy with the random colors. Looks like Kinkade had a seizure.

At: cels. You're totally right - the sun's position. It's very confusing. I recommend ol' slym determine what time of day it is and position the sun accordingly.
Because, right now, the sun is saying either "Good morning!" -or- "Guh night!". Yet the scene's lighting (in both my edit's and slym's last version) doesn't feel like either morning or evening.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2014, 10:00:02 pm by Mathias »

Offline jams0988

• View Profile

Reply #44 on: May 29, 2014, 10:19:40 pm
 :y:
Yar, I do like some of the colors, Mathias, but I think you flattened out the picture a little, which is the main reason I prefer Slym's, still. All his forms look good and chunky, even if they're not totally realistic looking, and there's a good sense of depth because of the darkness under the trees and such.
Your water does look more water-y, but I kind of love Slym's water for some reason. It feels so heavy, like I could reach in and scoop it up like jello or something. That might not have been what he was going for, so he might actually prefer your edit, but I'm digging his water, hahah!  :lol:

Also, I've never liked the fake paper textures art programs have. I don't know why! I'd probably like yours a good deal more if you removed that, heheh.
Anyway, cool edit, and good on you for even bothering to do it. Most people can't be arsed to spend so much effort trying to help other members, so thanks for being a credit to the force, hahah!
« Last Edit: May 29, 2014, 10:23:19 pm by jams0988 »

Offline slym

• View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #45 on: June 01, 2014, 05:37:16 pm
Woah!! Thanks mathias for the awesome edit. I definitely have noticed the palette was lacking interest. Here's what I've come up with so far:

Major Changes:
  • New colors added to the water
  • Simplified texture in the leaves in the farthest back trees
  • Reduced canvas size for a little bit more sanity  :blind:
  • Polishing work on universal grass textures, rocks
  • removed the sun... it was cool but I'm not feeling redoing the entire palette to make the time of day match the sun
  • Sharpened the style, edges have more highlights, more brave with shadows, etc
  • modified the shape of the waves closest to the sand

I'm still working on addressing all of the critique. I am so thankful for all of the incredible tips and advice. This piece has come a LONG way so far. I'll keep hacking away at it!
« Last Edit: June 03, 2014, 09:42:11 pm by slym »