AuthorTopic: Potted Plant: Lighting  (Read 1759 times)

Offline ashes999

• View Profile
    • Deen Games

Potted Plant: Lighting

on: January 25, 2014, 06:35:51 pm
Hi,

I'm new to pixel art in general. I started following this course, which is quite good (this is the 4th part on lighting): http://opengameart.org/content/chapter-4-shadow-and-light

I tried drawing a potted plant. It came out pretty well, except that the window is behind the plant, and it should be backlit. I tried, but I can't quite figure out how the shadows should play across. Also, it seems to me that the bottom part should be pretty much in shadow.

Any suggestions? (I put a boring circular shadow because it looks better than no shadow.)

Offline Parkerbaby

• View Profile

Re: Potted Plant: Lighting

Reply #1 on: January 25, 2014, 07:37:01 pm
First of all, your picture isn't considered pixel art just because you used some brushes/filters and have so many colors. Typically in pixel art each color is hand-picked. But, that's no big deal. Easy to fix; just draw over it with a pencil tool or opaque brush tool with no auto-aa.

*edited to change the host of the picture; it wasn't showing up on the forum

Bear in mind, I'm not artist and haven't studied lighting in any detail. But, it seems to me most of the object would be in shadow. It may have an outline of light that is coming around the sides. The leaves would be quite bright because they are translucent so the light can get through. Maybe through the ugly smudgy edit I made, you'll get a general idea of what I'm trying to convey.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2014, 07:39:08 pm by Parkerbaby »