AuthorTopic: [WIP] Another portrait (nudity)  (Read 9754 times)

Offline Zizka

• Keep on smilin'
    • View Profile

[WIP] Another portrait (nudity)

on: December 30, 2013, 03:24:46 pm
Hello guys,

So I'm once again trying my hand at working on a portrait. I really want to take the opportunity to learn as much as possible this time around.

Reference (nudity):
http://img10.imagefra.me/i5ct/freemind/l3yi_a7e_u5vq6.jpg

Here's the progression so far:

My questions are the following:

1. In this case, is the darker area broad enough to warrant an outline? This is one thing which I struggle with. I want to master volumes without resorting to shortcuts like lines which are not very realistic...

2. When talking about values, I'm reading this book about acrylic painting.

In the example above, the darkest area (the color with the most black) is the area where light reaches the least. Then, there's a gradation up to the foread where light reaches the most (area where the color is mixed with the most white). Do I understand this right? Of course, if the color of the light isn't "white" it would affect the colors of the face differently.

3. If I look at the picture of the face, my eye can’t pick up a lot of the bone structure underneath the skin. For instance, I can barely make out the bone ridge.

Also, is it me of is her mandibular exceptionally narrow?

4. Also, to my eyes, the area on her abdomen right above her breasts is sort of uniform in color. I'm having a hard time giving this area more volume.

I hope we can have a discussion about this so I can progress some more.

Thanks!  :y:
« Last Edit: December 30, 2013, 08:24:37 pm by Zizka »

Offline BillisSkill

• View Profile

Re: [WIP] Another portrait (nudity)

Reply #1 on: December 30, 2013, 07:33:49 pm
This looks great so far! You seem to be going in the right direction with using color/value rather than line. I have a background in drawing/oilpainting. One big exercise was to draw or paint white objects light against a white backdrop. All just understanding value. Now attempting pixel art I have been using an underdrawing then filling in the image with the darkest value and working to the lightest. Sort of a chiaroscuro approach, but working from the mid tone works well and maybe better.  Try drawing it out first with all of the shapes in place then going back and filling it in too.

Offline r1k

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: December 30, 2013, 07:37:15 pm
first, here Ive done a rough paint over

okay imageshack keeps deleting my image (because nudity?) let me find a different host

I didnt touch the face but the body has some proportion issues.  First check the height of the left (our left) shoulder in relation to the chin.  Then notice the height of the right shoulder in relation to the left.  Once you raise the left shoulder, see if it appears to be coming out far enough.  Now check the distance between the chin and the top of the boobs, use the head as a reference.  Now check the length of the boobs compared to the head, you actually made them too small.

Now dont think about lines as outlines, but rather as thin shadows.  In the case of deliniating the stomach with the bottom of the boob you dont really need a line, just a darker shade underneath.  well the edit should explain the rest (looking through my folder this is the 5th edit of yours Ive done  :) )

oh and fix your link to the reference please.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2013, 07:48:18 pm by r1k »

Offline Zizka

• Keep on smilin'
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: December 30, 2013, 10:25:06 pm
Alright, time for another update. I'm not done obviously but I like to save a new version every 45 minutes or so.

V.6 vs v.7:

r1k edit is on the left, my new version on the right:

I'll post another update once I've managed to do the boobs right. I'll need to study r1k's edit and the original photo side by side to understand the shadows and highlights better.

I don't see those shadows that you put under the boobs r1k. Also, I see the dark & light area of the chest differently than in your edit.

Anyhow, it's really good practice, learning loads.  :y:

Offline PsylentKnight

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: December 31, 2013, 12:24:57 am
Needs more heavy eyeliner. Give her eyebrows a little more curvy "swoop" like in the reference rather than the basically straight lines you have.
She also looks more like she's pissed than doing a sexy face but I'm not sure how to fix that lol. Maybe part her lips a little more and lighten up the teeth a little? There's a very subtle difference but I can't pinpoint it.

It looks very good though, I'm just nitpicking here.

Also, who's the reference?  :P

Mommy's Boy: Development Blog  Youtube  Contact: MommysBoyGame or Psylent-Knight@hotmail
View all my game assets at 300% zoom (click twice)

Offline Zizka

• Keep on smilin'
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: December 31, 2013, 02:40:14 am
(Ive fixed the link for the ref')

@Psylent Knight:

Thanks, I don't think it looks great yet but I'll get there, just patience and practice.

No idea who she might be. I found her by browsing the nude gallery at deviant art. Physically perfect though, in my book.

About the lips, I think opening them would not be representative of the reference. Notice how barely open the mouth is? I can just barely get away with opening the mouth by one pixel, me thinks.

New changes made for version 8.
-Added heavier eye liner (psylent knight)
-Tweaked the eyebrows further (she looks more pissed off now though) (Psylent Knight)
-Tweaked the mouth further (I think it looks better now)
-Removed that weird thing in her neck
-Lowered the eyes a bit
-Added the sheets in the background (still wip)

I stopped for now because I'm having troubles with the boobs. I could just copy r1k edit but that would be pointless. I think his edit looks great but when I look at the picture I just don't see it.

@billiskill: Sorry, I forgot to reply earlier, that was rude of me.

To be honest, I wouldn't really know how to draw the shapes  ;D. Right now I have a nasty line around the boobs, I need to find a way to get rid of that efficiently.

Offline Mr. Fahrenheit

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: December 31, 2013, 02:52:00 am
I don't see those shadows that you put under the boobs r1k. Also, I see the dark & light area of the chest differently than in your edit.

Sometimes you need to take artistic liberty, otherwise something might remain unreadable.

Offline r1k

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: December 31, 2013, 03:07:30 am
to differentiate the stomach and boobs, take another look at the reference:

here Ive sampled a color from each and you can see the stomach is darker.  Make the stomach darker and theyre already deliniated without an actualy line.  On the right side of the image, I outlined part of the stomach in red, which I see as being very slightly darker, this is where I got the shadows under the boobs from.  Also I drew a horizontal line from the top of the left shoulder showing that yours is too low.

shape of boobs is still off, and nipples seem a little low.  Yours also gives the feeling that the pose is of her standing straight with her arms at the side and it feels awkward.  It might help establish the pose a little better if you included that little bit of her hip/thigh whatever, on the right side.

Offline Zizka

• Keep on smilin'
    • View Profile

Reply #8 on: December 31, 2013, 04:05:44 pm
Update for version 9 :

- Made the left shoulder higher (r1k)
- Included hip/thigh whatever thing on the right (r1k)
- Messed with the mouth further, it was too narrow before (me)
- Moved the nipples higher (r1k)
- changed the color of the areola, was too light before (me).
-Made the eyes smaller, they were too big before. I realized it by looking at the comparison shot of r1k (me).
-Lowered the head a bit, I felt the neck was too long. Noticed this thanks to that red line r1k did (r1k).
-Reworked the chin (me).
-Moved the nose a bit to the right (me).
-Narrowed the nose a bit, it was too large (me).
-Removed those awful lines! Yay! Looks heaps better! Thanks to r1k tip! (r1k)
-Added a “light bounce” on the side of the left boob (can’t remember if the word is right, ppd told me about it).
-The boobs were all out of shape. So I moved the right arm closer to the body to make sense of the proportions. (me)

@r1k: I was talking about the shadow at the base of the boob, not under it if that makes any sense.  ;D

I’m still puzzled about the darker outline of the boobs though. I tried something on the side of the left boob there, trying not to do a single line of black pixel but I’m not convinced (I basically tried to vary the line a bit like r1k did). I do think the bottom of the boob looks a lot better without the line.

To Do List:
-Keep fixing the right boob
-the hair

V8: V9: V10:

(alright, that's it for today, I'm fed up as it is, will continue tomorow).

« Last Edit: December 31, 2013, 11:11:17 pm by Zizka »

Offline r1k

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: December 31, 2013, 08:54:39 pm
@r1k: I was talking about the shadow at the base of the boob, not under it if that makes any sense. 

oh that, ya I made that up.  In my experience in life drawing, sometimes theres a slightly lighter shade at the very bottom of the boob because the light is reflecting off the stomach onto it, and therefore there is a slightly darker shadow on top of that.  Its the same idea as shading a sphere you add the reflected light on the bottom to make it read as more 3d.

its looking better now.  on the face in the ref though, notice shes looking slightly down and to the left, but her eyes are looking at us, but in yours her face is straight forward.  I might try an edit of the face tomorrow but I gotta go to a new years party and get drunk right now  ;D

also I think the arm on our left looks a little off in the new version.  keep it up its looking much better than it was in the first post.