AuthorTopic: [WIP] Giant in lava  (Read 8421 times)

Offline Shrike

• View Profile

Re: [WIP] Giant in lava

Reply #10 on: December 31, 2013, 01:31:59 pm
Mr. Fahrenheit, liking the edit you did, besides the decidedly central placement of the miners.

I think the reason a foreground juxtaposition is more visually appealing is it forces you to notice something smaller before you fully see the large giant, where a background-oriented group of miners could easily be missed. It's also a bit more dynamic as everything so far seems to be middleground, and the picture lacks depth. Again, it's a shame to scrap good art for the sake of the piece, but now you've learned something about workflow :) it's a constant struggle for me to avoid detailing until I'm absolutely sure I'm sold on the composition and content of an image, because detail is what I love. But in the end, if I'm careful with where and how I place objects in my picture, it ends up looking much better than if I go ahead with detail before I'm really sure what I want in the photo.

My advice to you is to make a brave choice and do something similar as Mr. Fahrenheit, perhaps a bit less drastic- to be seen in the bottom left corner, perhaps. But visually I think it's helpful if the platform the miners would be on interrupts the giant in some way.

Whether you choose to stick with the miner idea or not, I think your image, although looking nice, lacks depth. And I believe you need some foreground and deep background presence to give the viewer a better sense of scale. Miners in the foreground is just one way of doing that.

Offline Pukahuna

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/40206.htm
    • pukahuna
    • pukahuna
    • View Profile
    • Instagram

Reply #11 on: December 31, 2013, 03:59:09 pm
I changed the spaghetti lava, I'll keep the miners in the lower right corner, I did this pixel just because the lava, i can't get over it ;-;

ig: @pukahuna

Offline Jim16

• Damian_G_R
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/18544.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #12 on: December 31, 2013, 05:59:41 pm
You lack a good range in value in your browns. Lava is a fairly bright light source, so I would expect the that certain surfaces on the Giant would be fairly bright. I don't think the blue light source makes any sense either. It will be hard enough making this with a light source that surrounds the figure, why add another one ?

Offline HarveyDentMustDie

• I dream too much.
    • View Profile
    • Deviant Art

Reply #13 on: December 31, 2013, 06:37:12 pm
Why lava spills only over his hands and not any other part of his body. Is he rising form lava (in that case lava should be dripping from different parts of his body,something like Amorphous edit), or standing and going with his hands trough lava (in that case lava should go over his palms and dripping from his fingers)? Either way current lava streams are illogical.

I agree with Jim16, you should remove blue light and add more "lava" light on Giant.

I also agree with Mr. Fahrenheit
I think if you had a foreground element it would really help determine the scale.
and maybe you should add some not very bright background in the distant, cause after all that's a cave filled with lava, and stones would reflect some light. This way you will gain depth of view.

Offline Mr. Fahrenheit

• View Profile

Reply #14 on: January 01, 2014, 04:01:40 am
I think if you made the stalactites a different size it would help also. Stalactites as far as I know dont ever grow that large. Unless they are in the foreground, in which case I would made them black, you should make them smaller and possibly more numerous.

Offline Lanarky

• View Profile

Reply #15 on: January 01, 2014, 06:58:23 am
This looks like it'll be awesome when its finished. I think there needs to be some highlights on the underside of his armor and his chin that match the color of the lava. I really like the people in the corner, they really help with making the giant's size more apparent.