AuthorTopic: I made an Indie pixel art app where you can draw with others in real time  (Read 2397 times)

Offline Madbull2

• View Profile
Hi everyone! so I made this social pixel-art game where you can draw with either friends or random people around the U.S. in real time. It's called Pixel Board, and I'd love if y'all would check it out and give feedback maybe!

Link: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/pixel-board/id665741900?mt=8

It's been really hard getting exposure for the game, but it seems to have potential to be really fun. Got a little bit of traction on the site reddit, where some people have been posting their drawings. (link: http://www.reddit.com/r/PixelBoard/)

Offline tim

• Founder of Odd Tales - Art Director
    • View Profile
    • Tim Soret - Showreel
It interested me until I saw the last thumbnail. You're basically selling "colors" ?

I don't like this business model. I'd prefer to pay once & have all colors & tools to work with.

I don't think any serious artist will use it because of this. It will stay "just for fun", but not a lot of people actually draw pixel art "just for fun". I don't have any friend that could be interested to draw with me without a goal, without some gamification. So as it is, it's neither a good game nor a good tool. Too bad, it could be awesome if it was one of the first collaborative tool, and I think I could actually be the ideal client : we are two pixel artist working on the same art pieces for our game, and there's nothing to do real time collaboration in Photoshop or any other program. We have to work with layers and frequently import each other's work to verify if everything is matching. Pretty tedious.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2013, 03:05:30 am by tim »
Founder of Odd Tales
Art Director - Game Director - Game designer - Motion designer

Offline Madbull2

• View Profile
I get what you mean, but to be clear I think you misunderstand the app. It's not a utility for pixel art (although I recognize there is a need for a one that allows collaboration), but rather a social experience that utilizes the pixel medium. I also disagree with the notion that casual doodlers are not interested in pixel art -- that has not been my experience. It's counterproductive to think pixel art couldn't be mainstream accessible. Thank you for the reply though, I think it's just a misunderstanding. You should give the app a try since it's free and I think you'll have a better picture!

Going back and reading my original post, I think it's my fault. I never clarified that it was a more casual art app, rather than a utility
« Last Edit: December 29, 2013, 01:45:05 am by Madbull2 »