AuthorTopic: GR#221 - Erde Mockups - Gameart  (Read 34419 times)

Offline Beetleking22

• View Profile

Re: Erde mock-ups [cave]

Reply #20 on: February 12, 2014, 12:11:11 am
Cliff looks pretty nice and its has a lot of variety.. Is that blue thing in cliff water?

Offline ||||

• The brand with four stripes
    • llll_lijj
    • http://pixeljoint.com/pixels/new_icons.asp?owner=30996&ob=search&dosearch=1
    • Lijj
    • View Profile
    • rawbetty.com

Re: Erde mock-ups [cave]

Reply #21 on: February 12, 2014, 09:25:08 am
Yeah, it's a dank watery cavern; that's why the rocks have a melty, eroded look to their formation. The blue is the mosture in the crevaces reflecting color from the blue water below (unfinished, now flat blue). I know it's a little too bright of a blue to be realistic but I thought it was a pretty touch.

Just like the green 'moss' chunks in the rock outside of the cave, more so an aesthetic touch than anything that makes complete sense (as depicted in the darkest green squares place about here:

Offline Beetleking22

• View Profile

Re: Erde mock-ups [cave with melty rocks]

Reply #22 on: February 12, 2014, 12:52:10 pm
Its nice touch! It would be even better with water flow animations... but that would be a lot of work..

Offline astraldata

• View Profile
    • MUGEN ZERO

Reply #23 on: February 12, 2014, 05:26:16 pm
Those melty rocks in the water cave above look more like a value drawing / sketch with the colors. Are you planning on adding in some more hues to it, perhaps, or modify the hue of the walkable surface? It just seems really hard to appreciate with the dull palette, even with the blue in the rock, unless that's one of those dream/memory sequences where that kind of thing is just to stylize a segment of the story or something. On its own, however, those colors really don't work well. D:
I'm offering free pixel-art mentorship for promising pixel artists. For details, click here.

http://mugenzero.userboard.net/

Offline ||||

• llll_lijj
    • Lijj
    • View Profile
    • rawbetty.com

Reply #24 on: February 15, 2014, 10:02:50 am
Thanks for the feedback Astraldata. I messed with some alternative colors but found that I only like this one:
I added more red-orange to the rocks and a slight greenish tint to the path.

Offline ||||

• llll_lijj
    • Lijj
    • View Profile
    • rawbetty.com

Re: Erde mock-ups [water animation]

Reply #25 on: February 18, 2014, 07:29:45 am
Made an animated water tile and found a clever way to apply it (I think):

18 colors not counting transparent since that wont be seen in-game.
12 frames.

Offline Ryumaru

• to be animated soonly
    • ChrisPariano
    • View Profile

Reply #26 on: February 18, 2014, 09:27:22 am
Hey there,

Your tiles are really solid in terms of the palette and how you are applying pixels, but the set seems overly detailed, and the forms are flattened due to bringing up all the details to nearly full highlights. This makes the rocks look overly busy, and more "noisy" than something as solid and planar as rocks.

I made an edit; the effect could be taken even further, but the point is to round out the forms more and obliterate some of the detail for a larger, more gradual fall of gradient light. I know some bits will be difficult as this is a tile set made to link different pieces together, but I found myself editing same/ similar clusters to similar levels, so I think it can be done.

This takes into account more of the whole picture, the gestalt, which can be harder to grasp in tiles which by their very nature separate things. Attention to these larger concerns can help guide the players eye and allow them to properly focus on the walkable parts of the cave

Offline ||||

• llll_lijj
    • Lijj
    • View Profile
    • rawbetty.com

Reply #27 on: February 18, 2014, 10:17:33 am
Hi Ryumaru,

Thanks a lot for the edit; it looks much more solid with that depth. I don't want to rework all those rock chunks, but the edit is beautiful, so I certainly will. I wasn't aware of the term gestalt; I learned a  word today as well  :).
 I may only focus on the lower bits, with maybe a bit of that effect on some of the higher areas;  it wont be too much work I think; we'll see how it goes.  I'll post an update soon.

Offline ||||

• llll_lijj
    • Lijj
    • View Profile
    • rawbetty.com

Re: Erde mock-ups [Desert Set]

Reply #28 on: July 16, 2014, 10:19:06 pm
Some new goodies (assets)...
 First I will post current updates on some thing which were previously posted.

I'll start with the semi-half-assedly addressed cave scene. I made a quick fix for this: I will have to go back to it again anyway to fit the new larger screen size:
__

I also have an update of the 1st scape I posted here:

Grass edits; very big thanks to Stava on that. I also got rid of the 45 degree straight paths on this in response to a critique from Drazelic. This only a part of the actual set cause it's huge.

NOW FOR THE NEW!

A desert set. Just now 'finished' I may add some embellishment to the well.. but I'm not sure if it's necessary:
Special thanks to Drazelic for suggesting the onion shaped domes.. my original domes were boring and pillow-shady

Another dialogue mock-up:

And a logo:

Edit: wwoops somehow I got two different screen sizes shown.. the 2nd mock-up displays the intended new resolution.
Maybe it wants to grow again (it'd be the the 4th time)
« Last Edit: July 20, 2014, 04:49:09 am by |||| »

Offline Vagrant

• At your service.
    • @VagrantPixels
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/43310.htm
    • View Profile

Re: Erde mock-ups [Desert Set]

Reply #29 on: July 19, 2014, 11:30:18 am
Fantastic work.  :D

Screen size is looking good, and I love that desert mock up, both in style and shading. The textbox could do better however, something is just odd, it might be either the flat'ish dullness, the reds, or both.

Are you going for a mythological/fairy tale ambiance for this story?
(Couldn't help but be reminded of the princess and her lost golden ball in the lake, and frog symbology.)
« Last Edit: July 19, 2014, 11:32:11 am by Vagrant »