AuthorTopic: Boxer Man  (Read 3238 times)

Offline InvaderLupus

• View Profile

Boxer Man

on: July 19, 2006, 04:26:19 am

It's boxer man! He..uh...wakes up at noon and eats cereal in his boxers. Much like I do. C+C is appreciated.

EDIT: fixed up some issues I had with the left arm.

« Last Edit: July 19, 2006, 04:41:14 am by InvaderLupus »

instant

Re: Boxer Man

Reply #1 on: July 19, 2006, 05:31:46 am
What bothers me is your overuse of those outlines to define shape. try to use color to give form to objects and body parts.

Offline InvaderLupus

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: July 19, 2006, 06:42:13 am
I guess you're right, although it doesn't really work too well on a small piece like this. It's a habit that I gained from starting out with pixeling by just making sprites, which pretty much require an outline :/

Offline miascugh

• Schnitzelfiend
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: July 19, 2006, 04:07:13 pm
What bothers me is your overuse of those outlines to define shape. try to use color to give form to objects and body parts.

well, with such head-on single lightsource situations it pretty much ends up using 'colored outlines' just the same, which are a result of plastic shading, though depending the object's shape the width of this 'outline' varies (and is replaced by the next lighter shade if it would be thinner than 1 pixel). i'm not sure if it is the same as selective outlining though, as has been stated before sometimes,  but much rather just a logical consequence in the shading process, and only would look simliar in this very light situation. on the other hand selout as we know it actually is a result of unified and very ambient lighting for sprites so that they work on a number of backgrounds just the same. if you're not going for sprite-aesthetics you could just as well aa him all over on the outside as well, though

Offline Katakus

• Oops
    • View Profile
    • Katakus Forums

Reply #4 on: July 19, 2006, 06:28:55 pm
The lineart seems quite jagged and it is not overly well coloured and there isn't anything special about it. No offence, but I don't really like it.

The colouring is okay though for this image; and I guess, he has a cool stance though and you did fix up his arm which was nice. :)

Try to fix the jagged lineart. ;)
« Last Edit: July 19, 2006, 10:02:47 pm by Katakus »
--------------------