AuthorTopic: Color ramp generator for Dawnbringer 32 palette  (Read 17437 times)

Offline astraldata

• View Profile
    • MUGEN ZERO

Re: Color ramp generator for Dawnbringer 32 palette

Reply #10 on: December 24, 2013, 05:06:47 am
This is an excellent addition dude! Thanks a ton! I'm getting a lot closer to being able to manipulate colors the way I need to.

Unfortunately the one thing I've been having trouble with after this update (and didn't notice before) is that I'm having difficulty maintaining control over an individual color because the Tint/Highlight/Ambient Color Wheels don't affect ONLY the currently selected color, but rather ALL colors together. I admit, when I realized this, I was both happy *and* disappointed simultaneously.

I was happy because you essentially did lighting for me, but I was disappointed because I realized there are entries in the palette I'd rather NOT have controlled by the global ambient/highlight color (i.e. lighting in a level such as a glowing yellow lamp-post light in an otherwise pale moonlit scene).

As amazingly useful as your global lighting system is, stuff like multiple light sources just isn't possible yet and greatly limits the variety of your palette options since you can't choose to have absolute control over the lighting of a single standalone color entry selection (such as the yellow lamplight on a street and grass of the otherwise moonlit level). To combat this, I suggest allowing the *option* of setting the ambient/highlight/tint colors for each individual color selection (a simple checkbox maybe?) so that you can use the *local* (ambient/tint/highlight) settings of the selected color *instead* of the global (ambient/tint/highlight) lighting settings for the entire "rainbow" so one can generate a special, individualized, ramp for any selected color. It would require at least three more color wheels of course + a checkbox or radio-button to determine whether to use the global/local lighting, but if you added them, they would put the cherry on top of this already amazingly-useful tool! :D
« Last Edit: December 24, 2013, 11:43:41 pm by astraldata »
I'm offering free pixel-art mentorship for promising pixel artists. For details, click here.

http://mugenzero.userboard.net/

Offline rikfuzz

• View Profile
    • twitter @hot_pengu

Reply #11 on: December 24, 2013, 10:14:39 am
Pretty amazing - did something similar internally for a game, to pick a nice looking ramp from a base colour, but nothing with so many advanced options! 

For me (in Chrome) the preview isn't updating the mid tone. 

Offline Mr. Fahrenheit

• View Profile

Reply #12 on: December 24, 2013, 02:14:01 pm
Pretty amazing - did something similar internally for a game, to pick a nice looking ramp from a base colour, but nothing with so many advanced options! 

For me (in Chrome) the preview isn't updating the mid tone.

Yeah, I wasn't sure if there was a way to update the preview or not, but I guess its just chrome.

Offline Ai

• finti
    • http://pixeljoint.com/pixels/profile.asp?id=1996
    • finticemo
    • View Profile

Reply #13 on: December 24, 2013, 10:23:23 pm
I hope to get support for this into GPick as a Lua 'color filter plugin'. After I build the color filter plugin framework for GPick ;)
I guess this is my way of saying it really impresses me.

The only thing it 'doesn't' do is support quantization to arbitrary palettes , instead of just DB32.
If you insist on being pessimistic about your own abilities, consider also being pessimistic about the accuracy of that pessimistic judgement.