AuthorTopic: Forest level [WIP]  (Read 1984 times)

Offline Hoj

• View Profile

Forest level [WIP]

on: December 18, 2013, 02:13:47 pm
Hello.

I've been working on a game for the past few weeks, I'm hoping it's going to be QUITE good. I haven't done much with pixel art before - I've done a lot of graphics and such, but never really spent much time on pixel art. I've been lurking around and you guys seem really good! So any advise or help is hugely appreciated.

It's proving difficult to do the graphics + the coding. As you can imagine, it's a lot of work. I've been scared to post because I've used Photoshop to add additional effects (ie. sunbeam, waterfall).

I decided that I'd essentially do what ever I want. I haven't stuck to a palette and I haven't ruled out using Photoshop. However, it does come down to drawing the levels pixel by pixel, then simply adding some additional effects later.

I'll take any advise or criticism on board (the HUD is going to change).

You play as the little yellow slug, called Flug. There's a huge story that goes with it, it's a sort of Mario/Sonic cross with RPG elements. I'll give more info on the game if it generates any interest.

Here is tiny piece of game play from the screenshots above, so you get the idea: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWXTx6j-krA

One thing I'm having difficulty with is WATER, and the bottom of the waterfall (where it meets the water). How should it look? ???

Thanks.

Offline Gamer36

• Just a noob.
    • View Profile
    • Gamer36 Wordpress

Re: Forest level [WIP]

Reply #1 on: December 18, 2013, 03:31:41 pm
It would be very helpful if you provided the raw images, such as the sprite, the jumping, etc. It would be much easier to critique than a screenshot of the game. The waterfall looks more like a tractor beam than flowing water. If you just look at google image results, waterfalls are a lot of lines, because the place the are coming from is not smooth, so the water is rippled.

Here is a low-res example I just put together. The colors are funky because I had to do it on a crappy online pixel art editor (damn school laptop doesn't allow me to install GIMP)

Pixel Art, what (mostly) all of us are here for.