AuthorTopic: Iso Base Sprite + Color Help  (Read 3852 times)

Offline Kirrund

• View Profile

Iso Base Sprite + Color Help

on: December 17, 2013, 03:45:00 am

Explanation
So I've just started doing pixel art, and these are my first attempts. I didn't use any references, just used the line tool to make several diagonal reference lines for perspective like I remembered from art class long ago. I'm not sure if the perspective is isometric enough, but I figure I can always fix that later. After I drew the perspective lines I just kind of freehanded a basic female shape until I got a general idea of something I wanted, and then I went for a shrug pose.

The slightly rotated the one on the left because after painting her it seemed like she was leaning back a little too much. I know that the colors are off on the base sprite model, they actually previously had more contrast but when I copy pasted them into a new file they some how got dulled out. Not too worried about it as the original colors of the painted sprite got preserved just fine.

What I'm aiming for

Isometric viewpoint, four directions (for now), similar to final fantasy tactics. This is just a paint test. I'm alright with slightly exaggerated or unrealistic proprotions; I'd like the anatomy to be decent, but not too perfect (if that makes sense).

What I'm having trouble with

My colors. I feel like I can draw well enough to do what I need to do (thought my perspective needs work), but no matter what my image does not pop with detail and contrast like I want. I look at some sprites from other games (Darkstalkers, for instance)  or some sprites from some users on this board, and their details pop SO WELL, even with very little colors used. (Felicia's hair has 4 colors for instance, and yet it has so much depth) I just don't get it, I guess. I understand the concept of highlights and how to do them, but my highlights and shadow colors always seemingly end up being not quite the same color, or a bit muddied, like it's not as simple as just adding some black or a bit more blue.

I'm looking for critique and general help and or instruction. Any and all would be much appreciated.

(Edit: Fixed image quality)
« Last Edit: December 17, 2013, 03:53:20 am by Kirrund »

Offline Stava

• View Profile

Re: Iso Base Sprite + Color Help

Reply #1 on: December 17, 2013, 04:17:18 am
the guide lines you made aren't exactly isometric, they have slightly different angle..
here's a edit I did on the base, I also put actual isometric guide lines. :- )

as for coloring, maybe give it more contrast
here's a quick edit on that

sorry I turned her into a dude XD

Offline Kirrund

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: December 18, 2013, 07:08:15 am

Alright, i sat down and attempted to redraw the female base sprite from scratch using your critique and guidelines. On the right is my redraw. The middle two are yours. The one on the left is my coloring of the old out of perspective original, with attempts at adding more contrast. I also attempted to fix the perspective a bit better, but it's probably easier to just start over on it.

New critique? What do you think?

And thanks so much for the help thus far.

Offline Stava

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: December 18, 2013, 07:44:00 am

Alright, i sat down and attempted to redraw the female base sprite from scratch using your critique and guidelines. On the right is my redraw. The middle two are yours. The one on the left is my coloring of the old out of perspective original, with attempts at adding more contrast. I also attempted to fix the perspective a bit better, but it's probably easier to just start over on it.

New critique? What do you think?

And thanks so much for the help thus far.

Great improvements on colors and isometrics
I think that dark red outline isn't working well.
you have a issue with the arm anatomy, the arms seem to be too slim and too small,
I edited it a little more, cleaned it up a little bit more and added some details/fixed arms (I think)
I'm not expert in anatomy, hopefully someone else could help you with that.   :-[
Here's my edit:
« Last Edit: December 18, 2013, 07:48:27 am by Stava »

Offline Kirrund

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: December 18, 2013, 08:15:40 am
I see what you mean on the arm. I knew something looked off. Probably best not to work with tired eyes after a long day at the normal job ;P. I'll get back to work on it tomorrow.

Thanks again! You are a big help

Offline Kirrund

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: December 20, 2013, 06:11:02 am
Been feeling kind of sick so updates and work have been slow.

So i tried to go for a different pose to practice the proportions/shading since you fixed the arm in the last one. My attempts are the right two.

Fig 1 was my first quick attempt at it. I felt like the left arm was too low for being in the background and showing too much, so I changed the angle slightly to make it appear more isometric in fig 2. However, i still feel like something may be wrong with the right arm in fig 2, like it might need to be angled down slightly, but I'm not sure. I do feel like I'm close, however. In fig 2 I attempted to add fingers on the hips. Not sure if it works.

« Last Edit: December 20, 2013, 06:14:41 am by Kirrund »

Offline Kirrund

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: January 09, 2014, 09:25:41 pm
Did some more stuff over the holidays but my work ethic has been lacking.

First one is a naga character, left is the first pass then on the right is going back over it and redo'ing it some. Not exactly sure how to give great definition to the four arms, perhaps with more contrast? There's supposed to be a gun and sword (pointed towards the screen) just for sort of a test, didn't really spend much time on them. In that particular matter, I think it's hard to get the right look of metal, especially when I'm not sure how the black outline and lighter highlight is supposed to be on edged item, even more so if its titled or towards the camera, when you have so little pixels to work with. 

Second is for a fox/cat race (the male has a mask on), the color contrast is somewhat lackluster but this was mostly a quick test to draw digitigrade legs. I'm not sure if I have them looking right or at the correct angle. Just purely looking for leg criticism here. Maybe it's just a color contrast thing?

I used this for reference

http://sugarpoultry.deviantart.com/art/Digitigrade-Leg-Reference-179416557