AuthorTopic: [WIP] Runcycle.  (Read 6069 times)

Offline Senevri

• View Profile
    • Art and Depression

[WIP] Runcycle.

on: December 11, 2013, 11:38:57 pm
Hi. I'm working on a run cycle animation, I'm trying to be smart about it, so I can re-use it for various characters if needed, with some tweaking, but while I mostly like it, it seems a bit glitchy. It's not well-referenced, mostly just my kinesthetic sense drawn.

My previous attempt a few years back had some issues.

The source file is nearly 500px tall, and has a separate layer for each color. If I'm clever, I'll be able to compose various images with relatively minor tweaks without needing to redraw everything once I'm done.
Head is missing, obviously. I probably should add it, as I suspect it may affect my perception of the cycle.

Sheet:

So, partially it's a "yay I'm doing stuff" post, but I'd be interested in fixing that glitch, as well as any C&C You might be willing to share.

Offline HarveyDentMustDie

• I dream too much.
    • View Profile
    • Deviant Art

Re: [WIP] Runcycle.

Reply #1 on: December 12, 2013, 12:09:02 am
This looks like very funny walk cycle, mostly because shoulders are leaning back, strange arms position, and very short leg movement.

You can find a lot of useful tips in this tread -> http://wayofthepixel.net/index.php?topic=14658.0
Also you can find very good instructions in book "Animator's Survival Guide".  ;D

Offline Senevri

• View Profile
    • Art and Depression

Reply #2 on: December 12, 2013, 12:33:12 am
Oh, yeah. My previous one was leaning back even worse. I wonder what's up with that? Hmm.

It looks decent at about 30x24 pixels, but that's a bit of a niche size. Will tweak. Also, head.
I'd better get to it... away!

(I'm fiddling around in Aseprite, which is quite fun. Not sure how I feel about it yet, vs. GraphicsGale.=
Very interesting thread You linked.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2013, 12:36:55 am by Senevri »

Offline cauli

• View Profile
    • Twitter

Reply #3 on: December 30, 2013, 01:22:00 am
@Senevri

As HarveyDentMustDie said, your leg movement is very short.

But the main reason it is not working is that the animated body is not going up and down!

There is a moment in every running cycle where the body jumps, and both feet are off the ground.
Same thing with horses, 4 feet off the ground. Animator's survival guide is really good at teaching this.

You running cycle looks like Racewalking because of this, always a foot on the ground. It is a really good Racewalking, though!

Offline Senevri

• View Profile
    • Art and Depression

Reply #4 on: January 28, 2017, 06:10:03 pm
Only took me several years to get back to this. :D I don't think there was an animation board back then, or if there was, why I didn't put this in there.

Admin move time?

Logged in for a change, and cauli's post inspired me to take a look at this - it's mostly educational to me, but it's also a useful blank for potential future game stuff.

I want this to be something of a relaxed, long-distance running motion rather than a sprint.

Anyway, I gave up on the original file with the separate layers, wasn't worth the hassle, and just used ASEprite, with a single layer. Added a frame, made left and right sides of the motion more symmetrical, added a bit of a punch on the ground contact, and a bit of bob on the motion height - even when relaxed, there would be some.

Still a bit slow/not-punchy, probably when lifting the heel after pushing against ground.

I really don't like the fact I had to add a frame.

*edit* So, I tweaked it.

strip:
« Last Edit: January 28, 2017, 06:22:43 pm by Senevri »

Offline heyguy

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: February 01, 2017, 03:20:09 am
I think your original animation is really good for a funny walk like the other posters said! It's good for a flamboyant or joker-type character doing something silly in the moment.

This new animation looks jerky and is not as smooth as the last one. The upper torso looks especially jerky. You have captured a relax feel to it though. This seems like someone on a treadmill or going for a run around the lake. I was going to say I think your character needs more expressive animation poses to be base run cycle for other game character but you've decided you want something more relaxed. I would say you're on the right track and need to smooth this out a bit to make it flow better. Check out this reference of joggers in the park.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DfHxonYa6ek

Maybe even record yourself or have a friend record you. Anyway, keep it up!

Offline rocifier

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: February 04, 2017, 10:47:00 pm
I think having his legs stretch further forward during the extension will help a lot to make this more "normal" if that's what you are after.

Offline Senevri

• View Profile
    • Art and Depression

Reply #7 on: February 05, 2017, 01:25:29 pm
Yes, I see. Frame 5, rear leg. Also, maybe the forward thrust is a bit too much?

Offline rocifier

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: February 05, 2017, 08:44:13 pm
Yes, I see. Frame 5, rear leg. Also, maybe the forward thrust is a bit too much?

Kind of, I think 6 and 7 are very similar whereas 8 and 1 are quite a leap. That may be what you are referring to.

Offline Senevri

• View Profile
    • Art and Depression

Reply #9 on: February 06, 2017, 07:33:00 am
6-7 should mirror 2-3, while 8-1 is 4-5. I could eliminate two more frames (say, 3 and 7), but I think that would be short-sighted, as it would reduce the maximum size the animation looks good at. Hmm. The nearly identical 6-7, 2-3 pairs are annoying, definitely... I'll need to think about this.