AuthorTopic: Spirals  (Read 2940 times)

Offline Salbeira

• View Profile

Spirals

on: December 11, 2013, 01:15:00 pm
Hello,
  i am quite new to pixel art, though I read a lot of stuff and tried out things here and there, but right now I interested in ways to draw tiny, *round* spirals as parts of ornaments, though I can not get the hang of it ...
Do you have any idea about how to get on with it - the spiral itself should only be somewhere around 8x8 to 12x12 pixels large ...

Offline Cyangmou

• cyangmou
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/32234.htm
    • cyangmou
    • View Profile
    • Pixwerk Homepage

Re: Spirals

Reply #1 on: December 11, 2013, 02:03:06 pm
Welcome at Pixelation.
This forum here is for improving your art - with learning by doing.

Means you try to create something and the people here help you.
If you don't put any effort in your work or don't even try to draw a starting point to illustrate your problem, nobody here will help you.
"Because the beauty of the human body is that it hasn't a single muscle which doesn't serve its purpose; that there's not a line wasted; that every detail of it fits one idea, the idea of a man and the life of a man."

Dev-Art
Twitter

Offline Salbeira

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: December 11, 2013, 04:10:09 pm
Okay, thanks for the explanation:

Here is what I researched so far:
I started out by letting a favico generator generate an image out of a big spiral picture:

Then I created my own, based on a simple start and then cycling around with large flat lines on the north, south, west and east side

Then I generated a favico out of this:

This gave me the hint that these triangles coming from the center feel a bit strange, but also somehow help giving the feeling of roundness on the corners ...

Anyway thats what I got so far in terms of "round" spirals; edgy spirals are quite a lot easier with white space inbetween, but even there it would be interesting to see weather or not one can give the spiraly illusion without having white space ...

Offline r1k

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: December 11, 2013, 04:35:35 pm
I think maybe youre trying to imply too much detail than you can fit at that size.  It might be better to just keep things simple.  something like this

Offline Salbeira

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: December 11, 2013, 06:13:17 pm
Ah the use of anti alized edges - that is clearly something I need to work on - seeing when and where to use it! I'll try to move on with that!

Offline r1k

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: December 11, 2013, 06:19:31 pm
ya AA can help.  Though the AA in my example isnt that great so dont follow it too closely.