AuthorTopic: Running animation for platform game [WIP][C+C]  (Read 3895 times)

Offline Nameless Force

• View Profile

Running animation for platform game [WIP][C+C]

on: December 06, 2013, 10:22:44 am
Latest version:

Original post:

The character is a 10 year old girl and the player character for an upcoming platform game.
Colors from a palette by Dawnbringer.
There are still lots of little details to fix, but I'd like some feedback on the general flow of the animation before I spend too much time and effort on the details.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2013, 01:44:57 pm by Nameless Force »

Offline YellowLime

• View Profile
    • Sour Pixels

Re: Running animation for platform game [WIP][C+C]

Reply #1 on: December 06, 2013, 02:19:49 pm
My main bone to pick with this one is the 5th frame, where the little girl's arm isn't bending upwards, and it kinda looks unnatural (it also seems shorter when compared to other frames).
Also, the hand is hard to differentiate from the face, more so in the actual animation, so I think you should find a way to make the difference more clear, or just don't let the hand overlap the face.

Offline Nameless Force

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: December 08, 2013, 10:05:49 am
Cleaned up the arms a bit.

Offline astraldata

• View Profile
    • MUGEN ZERO

Reply #3 on: December 11, 2013, 06:18:13 pm
The hair needs to bounce a little -- it can't stay pointy as if it were a backpack or something. If you need that pointy for silhouette purposes (readability), consider shifting the point up and down a few pixels during the intermittent frames and letting the hair go below the intended point when it falls for a frame or so in order to give it more 'life' with a bounce of some kind.
I'm offering free pixel-art mentorship for promising pixel artists. For details, click here.

http://mugenzero.userboard.net/

Offline r1k

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: December 11, 2013, 06:22:31 pm
the arms are a bit wierd, try bending the elbows.
Somethings been bothering me about the frames when her foot hits the ground too.  Looking at the individual frames, I think on the second frame you ought to lower the foot that is about to contact with the ground, cause its at the same height as the previous frame.

Offline Nameless Force

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: December 12, 2013, 11:58:46 am
Added some more animation to the hair.  The effect is rather subtle.  Maybe too subtle.

Offline astraldata

• View Profile
    • MUGEN ZERO

Reply #6 on: December 12, 2013, 05:34:44 pm
Too subtle to notice -- try adding a bit more of a shift downwards with the point of the hair on the frame after her head lifts back up. It needs to have a perceptible 'bounce' to the hair since the head pops up and down from the step and gravity is still acting on the hair and the body when it does.

Also, on the frame where she's in the air completely, it should be considered the "contact" pose for the frame, which means that at least the heel of her front leg should be touching the ground to give a sense of weight. The next frames should be her weight falling on that front leg, and it passing beneath her body while the opposite leg begins to come forward.

After all, a walk (or a run) is simply a series of controlled *falls* and she doesn't look like she's falling at all in the animation, thus the comment from r1k about the foot coming closer to the contact position.

As far as the arm goes, she does need her silhouette varied a little bit -- even if you lift the left arm higher than the right by a few pixels or bend the elbow on it a bit more, it needs a more readable silhouette to distinguish which arm is coming forward just by taking in the shape of the image, before your brain ever has a chance to process the colors. Otherwise, your animation's readability is pretty poor.
I'm offering free pixel-art mentorship for promising pixel artists. For details, click here.

http://mugenzero.userboard.net/

Offline Nameless Force

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: December 14, 2013, 01:46:07 pm
Bouncier hair + minor tweaks.