AuthorTopic: Sci-fi potion  (Read 6092 times)

Offline Daimoth

• I Am Tooth
    • View Profile

Sci-fi potion

on: December 02, 2013, 12:26:33 am

Figured you guys could help me improve or finish this one, not sure what else to do with it.

• I don't know what to do with the "clear" glass part. What I've got there was guess work, even with references.  I want it to look more dramatic and less perfect, if that makes any sense.

• I tried to put a sticker/decal with a smiley face on the front of the flask, but I have no idea how to indicate the curvature of the glass with the sticker without hurting readability on the sticker. Do any of you know how to do something like that?

• I'm also not terribly happy with the outline when it's zoomed out. It definitely looks better zoomed in.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2013, 12:29:12 am by Daimoth »

Offline Mr. Fahrenheit

• View Profile

Re: Sci-fi potion

Reply #1 on: December 02, 2013, 01:53:35 am
Remember that glass is transparent.

Try for something more transparent. Glass is really only going to be white or blueish (though it could really be any color, its a reflection) when the angle you are looking at it at is very sharp.

Offline HezaKey

• *draws furiously*
    • hezakey
    • hezakey
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: December 02, 2013, 02:00:19 am

I took a whack at it.
Glass, especially with liquid in it, is highly reflective.  Also if the liquid is also transparent you can see the bottom of the glass as well.  Also the sides of the glass should be slightly visible, because the liquid is only touching the glass, not occupying the same space. (this may or may not disappear depending on scale drawing though)
I think I lost the symmetry of the flask a little, but I was more going for the reflections and light.
You know, I just realized you wanted the sticker as a label.  In that case I'd suggest drawing an ellipsis that is smaller at the top, and wider at the bottom so it appear as if it is receeding from the viewer. (but make sure it is receeding at the same angle as the beaker.)

For reflections and such, I'd suggest having a glass of juice and setting it in front of a good light and just study how the light is interacting with it.

Offline Daimoth

• I Am Tooth
    • View Profile

Re: Beaker w/ ooze

Reply #3 on: December 02, 2013, 03:37:11 am
I love the green reflection. I'm going to have to try something like that.

I wrestled with making the glass transparent. I decided not to because of the context the sprite may be in. You are right though.

I suppose my updated to-do would be the green glimmer on the glass, the sticker, and the glass reflecting through the liquid. It makes sense that I can't have both the toxic bubble things and say that the liquid's opaque, that wouldn't make sense.

I'ma get started now.

And more advice is always welcome.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2013, 04:35:49 am by Daimoth »

Offline Daimoth

• I Am Tooth
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: December 03, 2013, 03:08:22 am
Update:

Progress gif; including my frankly silly first attempt:

I'm at 14 colors so far and I still don't have the glass where I want it. Too few colors, too few pixels, I suppose.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2013, 03:11:58 am by Daimoth »

Offline PypeBros

• Pixel Padawan
    • PypeBros
    • View Profile
    • Bilou Homebrew's Blog.

Reply #5 on: December 03, 2013, 04:13:25 pm
wouldn't bubbles get bigger at the top where they meet other bubbles, btw ?

Offline Cyangmou

• cyangmou
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/32234.htm
    • cyangmou
    • View Profile
    • Pixwerk Homepage

Reply #6 on: December 04, 2013, 09:54:49 pm
I'm at 14 colors so far and I still don't have the glass where I want it. Too few colors, too few pixels, I suppose.

Stil lwith keeping the same colors you could get a much better glass effect if you adjust your shading.
For that you should look at references.

Depending on style you could also adjust your proportions. the strong triangle form and short neck let it appear uite cartoonish. THis however depends on what you want to achieve.

"Because the beauty of the human body is that it hasn't a single muscle which doesn't serve its purpose; that there's not a line wasted; that every detail of it fits one idea, the idea of a man and the life of a man."

Dev-Art
Twitter

Offline Daimoth

• I Am Tooth
    • View Profile

Reply #7 on: December 05, 2013, 04:07:33 am
 I'm working toward a more serious, horror-tinged style, and you aren't the first to remark how cute my stuff is. Only thing for it is to keep moving forward, I think.

Your bubbles also make more sense than mine. Now that I've seen yours I'm not sure why I colored mine like that.

Many thanks again for the advice, I'll be back with an update later.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2013, 05:18:07 am by Daimoth »

Offline YellowLime

• View Profile
    • Sour Pixels

Reply #8 on: December 06, 2013, 02:02:44 pm
wouldn't bubbles get bigger at the top where they meet other bubbles, btw ?
I second this, and also (based on my experience with soda/fizzy drinks :P) bubbles start from the bottom plane of the glass and follow a mostly straight, continuous line upwards (again, in carbonated drinks at least)

Offline Tapsu

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: December 09, 2013, 08:46:50 am
bubbles start from the bottom plane of the glass and follow a mostly straight, continuous line upwards (again, in carbonated drinks at least)
That would mean... the glass is not extremely clean. Bubbles preferably start from points of disturbance in the fabric of space-time continuum, say, a piece of dust. That said, when you see straight lines of bubbles, the glass might still be reasonably clean. To my knowledge, chaotic bubbles (no lines) is a sign of extremely clean glass.

And then I had some surprises looking at some references.
Googled "fizzy bubbles" and found that more often than not the bubbles appear surprisingly lighter than I expected, maybe dependent on background. What I expected was that bubbles would have average same darks and lights as the rest of the glass bottle (except being round). There is, by the way an angle of reflection (I hope that is what it is called), so in the center I would expect the bubble to be more transparent, and at the sides it should reflect whatever there is to reflect. Surprisingly, I couldn't find a good illustration for that, this one was the best (the further the water, i.e. smaller angle, the more reflection and the less bottom you see): http://www.visualphotos.com/image/2x6561704/two_dogs_looking_down_at_their_reflections_in_the
« Last Edit: December 09, 2013, 08:58:02 am by Tapsu »